PDA

View Full Version : First build and need a parts check :)

darkownage
10-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Hello,

Since I am planning to do a cosplay hopefully somewhere next year in the Star Wars theme, I obviously need a light saber.
So after a lot of youtubing I came across the tutorial of The Custom Saber Shop and well, here we are :)

So the hilt will be made out of PVC (with all it's own challenges Metric system vs American measurements) so I won't be needing those parts.
I do however need the electronics and the blade itself.

So here is my parts list:

- LED: A Luxeon Rebel Star -> red or deep red, not sure how different they are.
- Thermal pad
- Heatsink + Led holder: MHS Heat Sink V3
- Resistor: 2.7ohm 10w resistor
- Battery holder: 4 AAA Battery Holder with JST connector
- Switch: SPST Momentary Guarded switch with red button (or any other color should do)
- Heat shrink: 1/8" Adhesive lined heatshrink tubing
- Optic: Collimator Lens 8.7 deg viewing angle
- Optic holder: Cree/Rebel Lens Holder
- Wire: about 60 cm of black and about 60cm of red (or 2 foot each)
- Plastic tube: A tube to keep my electronics safe (mostly used for battery holder): 9" Electronics shield for 1.25" ID tubes
- Blade: 1" Thin walled Trans White PolyC 36 inch long
- Blade tip: Shouldered 1" thin walled blade tip with reflective disc

So it is relatively simple, so no sound or anything, just light up when needed.
So if you nice people could give some feedback, I can start dreaming about building it :D

For those who want to know, the lightsaber would be a mix between the General Revan hilt and Sith blade (red) because I think the Darth Revan is a bit 'normal'

Thanks in advance :)

Silver Serpent
10-26-2015, 10:11 AM
My concern would be that the MHS heatsink may not fit well with your PVC hilt. If you look over here in the store: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Blade-Holders-non-MHS-C15.aspx you may find some heatsinks and adapters that would be better suited for use with PVC.

Since you have a momentary switch, you'll also want the momentary-to-latching converter. Without it, you'll need to hold the button down to keep the blade lit up. If you ever upgrade your saber with sound, then the sound board will take care of this for you.

darkownage
10-26-2015, 12:33 PM
My concern would be that the MHS heatsink may not fit well with your PVC hilt. If you look over here in the store: http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Blade-Holders-non-MHS-C15.aspx you may find some heatsinks and adapters that would be better suited for use with PVC.

Since you have a momentary switch, you'll also want the momentary-to-latching converter. Without it, you'll need to hold the button down to keep the blade lit up. If you ever upgrade your saber with sound, then the sound board will take care of this for you.

Thanks for the quick reply.

About the MHS heatsink, I'll have a look at the link you gave or otherwise I could try and fabricate something on my own, not sure yet.
The momentary switch wouldn't be a big issue since I am only planning to use it as a prop for cosplaying. The momentary switch would be a bit more ideal then I think, since I could then only lit the blade up for photos and then off again.
(okay, that also works for a latching switch). But it wouldn't be a problem if I need to hold it to make it glow.