PDA

View Full Version : Where can i buy control/activation boxes?

airsoftmode
12-27-2006, 12:49 PM
Hey untill tims starts machining some, where can i get control/activation boxes. Im looking for different styles such as the graflex style boxes with clamp as well as the tmp mundi style smaller simple boxes. Thanks guys

elrond.406
12-27-2006, 01:14 PM
Try johns or graflex shop. Or just try home depot :)

airsoftmode
12-27-2006, 02:46 PM
Home depot? What dept, and what product, have you had success finding an activation box there or were you just throwing it out there? Graflex shop didnt have anything. And when you say johns can you be a bit more specific. . .thanks

elrond.406
12-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Home depot? What dept, and what product, have you had success finding an activation box there or were you just throwing it out there? Graflex shop didnt have anything. And when you say johns can you be a bit more specific. . .thanks

Home depot and try doorbells. Johns I meant blast tech. A good idea ive used is a blast tech curcuit connector on a doorbell box.

JediHilt
12-28-2006, 10:16 AM
Parks Sabers has a nice collection of activation boxes everthing from the vader's MPP/Heliand activation box and clamp to Luke's graflex box and clamp they also have boxes by themselves don't buy anything else from them though that is pretty much the only good deal they have.

Enolmano
12-28-2006, 12:46 PM
tim sells one and www.blast-tech.com have some...

JediHilt
12-28-2006, 03:31 PM
NOoo don't buy blastech's boxes they want 50$ for theirs parks only wants 30$ it's kind of hard to believe parks actually has a better deal on those it's like a christmas miracle parks is normally the "Oh don't mind my vacuum cleaner nozzle being shoved in your wallet only some of your money will be vaporized" kind. :lol:

Lord Maul
12-28-2006, 05:05 PM
parks are cheaper quality. if you want something that will hold up forever, go with blast-tech.

vortextwist
12-28-2006, 05:06 PM
tim don't have any?

Lord Maul
12-28-2006, 05:08 PM
tim has the luke box. it was taken directly from a luke mr.

vortextwist
12-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Is he lookin for a specific design or just a switch box?

airsoftmode
12-29-2006, 10:18 AM
Im not looking for a specific style, i dont have any movie reproductions in mind just custom sabers, so im looking for a source of a few different varients. I saw the park boxes but im not sure how i would rig it to act as an activation switch

xwingband
12-29-2006, 10:37 AM
If you aren't opposed to ebay "1ober1" with store "king of parts" has some nice clamp boxes. He has one that is aluminum and can have a circuit board slid in. You could also drill a hole to route wires or mount a switch.

It all depends on the work you want to put in. I agree that the Parks ones seem solid and wouldn't be very functional. Having a functioning box is nice though. I dremeled out a spot for a switch in my graflex clamp and it's very satisfying to have it working there instead of a button.

JediHilt
12-29-2006, 11:17 AM
I have never seen a graflex in person so I'm asking you who have. Does that screw arm that tightens the clamp push in at all? If you could drill a hole in the side of the graflex right behind that arm and put the smallest on off push button switch you could find in there so when you push on or squeeze in that arm it pushes the button turning the saber on or off allowing you to possibly use a good old fashion graflex or MPP clamp. Do any of you have one of these clamps to look at this possible theory?

xwingband
12-29-2006, 11:26 AM
I can see that. You'd probably want to use a momentary, but yes it goes all the way down to the box if you clamp it really tight. It'd help if the button had a decent amount of height.

The MPP wouldn't work with that though. It's bars are solid. The graflex has hollow "bars".

While it may work I can't help thinking there are better alternatives. Like a slide in the gaps of the side. Do-Clo did that for his Obi saber.

JediHilt
12-29-2006, 02:39 PM
Is there a picture of this custom switch Clo made in one of the galleries?

Ryma Mara
12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Yes, MHS gallery I beleave

jedi tom
12-29-2006, 03:02 PM
look on ebay from time to time theres a guy sellin a big bunch of parts
alot of parts

JediHilt
12-29-2006, 04:38 PM
where do you get those fancy graflex covers that they used on Obiwan's and Aniken's lightsabers in EP3 in place of the calculator bubles or microchip card?

Tenric Starkindler
12-29-2006, 07:14 PM
try "King of parts" on Ebay.

vortextwist
12-29-2006, 07:15 PM
I did see a couple of graflex clamps in his store.

xwingband
12-29-2006, 08:00 PM
If you aren't opposed to ebay "1ober1" with store "king of parts" has some nice clamp boxes.

Does anyone read the thread anymore?

Do-Clo
12-29-2006, 11:35 PM
If you aren't opposed to ebay "1ober1" with store "king of parts" has some nice clamp boxes.

Does anyone read the thread anymore?

Very few use the search function either :twisted:

Yoiaholic
12-30-2006, 08:49 AM
Xwing I think its time to take drastic action to save this forum from all the new members that simply do not follow our rules and really are bringing down the quality of the board. Since I've been here over a year the last 2 months have been unbearable.

First we need to start deleting threads and responces when it is clear that the person has not used the search function, is posting just to increase their post count, or did not even read the thread before replying.

This shouldn't be an issue as their post is not adding to the value of the forum. When a post is removed consider it a warning and actually post contructively.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks we need to do this to keep the integrity of the board.

Firebird21
12-30-2006, 08:55 AM
Since I've been here over a year the last 2 months have been unbearable.

It should subside now that the Christmas season is over.

Put a disclaimer in your sig that says to research before asking or you will be flamed. Like mine for the Tread Index.

Just a thought.

vortextwist
12-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Xwing I think its time to take drastic action to save this forum from all the new members that simply do not follow our rules and really are bringing down the quality of the board. Since I've been here over a year the last 2 months have been unbearable.

First we need to start deleting threads and responces when it is clear that the person has not used the search function, is posting just to increase their post count, or did not even read the thread before replying.

This shouldn't be an issue as their post is not adding to the value of the forum. When a post is removed consider it a warning and actually post contructively.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks we need to do this to keep the integrity of the board.

then why have a message board at all? Why not just sticky and lock the subjects that "have been discussed before" and why not why we are at it don't let members post, then there will not be any stupid questions regardless of what a member asks. You are always goin to have someone that just doesn't want to read, but to take that type of drastic action? One problem is when someone does ask something that has been discussed before, instead of people posting a link to that said thread they just bitch about how they don't look or search, then you get another 2 or 4 pages of people flaming about it. If you would post the link and then lock the thread there would be no more worthless pages of babble. It also wouldn't hurt to go through the older threads and delete stuff that is not needed. That is just my 2 cents.

Firebird21
12-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Useless dribble and repeated Q.'s are a part of any forum. I learned to deal with it a long time ago even before this forum was around.

We all know what it's like to come in here for the first time and get all excited and want to jump in with both feet... And sometimes you just want some interaction by posting a question. Be friendly and remember what it was like…

It's not the end of the world or the forum if 10 people ask when and if Tim's going to make a conversion kit for the MR Luke...

Honestly, this very argument has been hashed out at least 5 times already and I think it's getting old. The best thing to do is be polite, answer the question or post the link. If that's too hard to do then it's best to not say anything at all. There's been times when I get sick of the same old same old and you don't see me posting in those topics.

When someone gets pissy it brings down the entire board. So at the very least I ask that you have fun. We're all here because we love Lightsabers. So lets build some sabers and have some fun while we do it! If that means a page or 2 of joking around, then so be it! If it wasn't fun none of us would do it!

I'm thinking it's time to blow the dust off the Derailment Unit and give this forum a Jump Start to get it back on the right track! Having fun and building Sabers!!!
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_party2.gif

http://www.yankeetoys.org/lee/TCSSBanner1.jpg

vortextwist
12-30-2006, 10:48 AM
Exactly, that is what this is all about, It really doesn't bother me if someone asked that same question days or min's ago. Let's just make the best sabers we can possibly make, Oh and thank you Tim for giveing us better tools to do this with.

xwingband
12-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Well said Firebird. I'm used to it... there's nothing to be done. I can keep up with making it easier, but we'll always have those not willing to read and just want the question answered for them right then. :roll:

I won't be locking any redundant topics... they'll die on they're own. I'm not going to delete repeat posts either. That will just start to make this place very unapproachable for new posters.

I just made the comment because I was :cry: and :evil: that I had already posted the exact same thing in the thread. I had to call him on the "Oooo... I can http://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-protarget.gif something here" impulse.

That being said... back to the topic. I think most of the bases have been covered though.

Enolmano
12-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Just remember that blast-techs boxes doesn't fit on the MHS, as far as I know.

JediHilt
12-30-2006, 03:55 PM
This was made by Do-Clo notice that it is a graflex clamp and is on an MHS based hilt.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n68/M9man/IM000847.jpg

Ryma Mara
12-30-2006, 05:20 PM
Do if I remember right dident you say that was just a random clamp bought off ebay? and you did some work with a slider switch?

Lord Maul
12-31-2006, 12:22 AM
that actually is a graflex clamp. i can't recall where he put the switch :(

Ryma Mara
12-31-2006, 04:31 AM
Well from looking at the pics he posted in the gallery my guess is he atacked the lever thing to a sliding switch.

Thats my only idea cause I cant see anywhere else on the hilt where it would be at.

Lord Maul
12-31-2006, 09:37 AM
i don't think you could do that because the clamp thing holds the graflex clamp together. without it, the whole thing would be loose

Ryma Mara
12-31-2006, 09:44 AM
I thought on that type of clamp the "board" pice held it togeather?

humm

xwingband
12-31-2006, 09:52 AM
I thought on that type of clamp the "board" pice held it togeather?

humm

No... The clamp on the side does exactly what it's named for. Up it's loose, but when you push it down it tightens on the tube. The boards are always just held in by the clamp tightening.

Ryma Mara
12-31-2006, 06:03 PM
Ic, thanks X now i know how the clams actually work(?).

Lord Maul
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
EBAY!