PDA

View Full Version : Testing my saber electronics

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 02:14 PM
Hey guys,

I just finished soldering all the wires to the electronics of my saber and I've been attempting to test out the audio. I've been primarily doing this through alligator clamps. I connected the battery/recharge port, speakers and momentary switch to my Nano Biscotte. However, when I remove the kill switch and then push my momentary switch, no sound emits from the speakers. Before I write off any component as broken, I'd like to better diagnose the issue at hand first and make sure I can narrow down the potential problems.

So first of all, I did remember to insert the memory chip into the Nano Biscotte. My momentary switch is also a blue 20mA LED. When I've connected the switch LED to the 3.3V pad on the Nano Biscotte, it actually lights up when I remove the kill switch. This indicates to me that the Nano Biscotte is probably working fine. So I sort of suspect my speakers to be the issue but I am not certain.

I have wired the speaker connectors on the NB to the speakers via alligator clips. Should this pose a problem? Does it also matter which wire goes where for the speakers? :confused:

Edit: I should also note that when I connected my main LED to the circuit, the LED does not turn on when I push the momentary switch. I tested the LED individually and it seems to be working fine. Does this imply a problem with the switch?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-24-2015, 02:54 PM
1. You might not have grounded the switch properly.

2. Fully charge your battery, and make sure the SD card is in all the way, it usually clicks when it is.

The alligator clips aren't an issue UNLESS you're trying to use them at either end of the circuit, (on the speakers themselves OR the board itself), but if you are just connecting wires together then you should be good. Also check the solder joints on the NB and make sure you didn't bridge anything.

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Wow. I feel like an idiot. The SD card wasn't pushed all the way in. Thank you for the advice! It's working! It's working! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXwGVXD7qEQ)

The one strange thing I want to note however is how sensitive the NB seems to be. I'm not touching it much at all and it seems to be playing the swinging sounds on its own. Could this be a problem with the NB or is this normal?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Did you properly resistor your LED??

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 03:39 PM
Yes I did but I didn't connect the LED the first time I tested it and it was doing the same thing.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-24-2015, 03:44 PM
Well, if you have the right resistor on your LED, you might need to lower the sensitivity setting in your saber. Consult the manual for details.

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 03:46 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely do that. I just wanted to make sure that this isn't an obvious sign of something that has gone wrong.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-24-2015, 03:49 PM
Thanks! I'll definitely do that. I just wanted to make sure that this isn't an obvious sign of something that has gone wrong.

Generally, it either means you didn't resistor your LED properly, or your battery nearly dead. You could try charging your battery first.

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 04:00 PM
Generally, it either means you didn't resistor your LED properly, or your battery nearly dead. You could try charging your battery first.

Actually, I had a question about that. I installed a recharge port primarily for the purpose of having a kill key since I don't want my battery to die so quickly. What do I need to do to be able to charge the battery? I see TCSS sells 2.1mm power plugs (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/21mm-Power-plug-P253.aspx) but I am unsure how to connect or use it to charge the battery.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-24-2015, 04:16 PM
Actually, I had a question about that. I installed a recharge port primarily for the purpose of having a kill key since I don't want my battery to die so quickly. What do I need to do to be able to charge the battery? I see TCSS sells 2.1mm power plugs (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/21mm-Power-plug-P253.aspx) but I am unsure how to connect or use it to charge the battery.

You would need a 3.7V charger that could plug into it, and a kill key. Wiring it properly is also a huge plus. The manual gives the details about how to wire the recharge port. ;)

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Haha. I'm fairly certain I've wired to properly. I suppose my question is where do I acquire a charger? Are we supposed to construct one too? :shock:

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-24-2015, 05:53 PM
Haha. I'm fairly certain I've wired to properly. I suppose my question is where do I acquire a charger? Are we supposed to construct one too? :shock:

You're suppose to touch it with your pinky finger and let the electricity flow.

Seriously though, the chargers are sold in the store - same section as the battery packs, assuming you're using a Li-ion battery.

Rayataz
10-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Oh, there they are! :eek: Thanks! lol Today was the first time I heard my saber turn on. I'm pretty excited to finish it. :D