PDA

View Full Version : Saber won't turn off

DarthButt
10-22-2015, 01:07 AM
Hi guys, just a few questions.

I've just built a saber with a nano biscotte card and used this diagram

It looks and sounds awesome but it won't turn off. I've tried 2 different switches thinking I just got a bad switch and same thing.

I just double checked my wiring and it is exactly how it is in that diagram, except no JST connectors. I'm out of ideas! maybe someone here can help.

Also, before I got my sound card I had the same issue using a momentary to latching converter. It would turn on but not off.

DarthButt
10-22-2015, 01:42 PM
Just to clarify I do not have a momentary to latching converter wired up now that I have a sound card. I have wired the saber 2 completely different ways and both ways it would not turn off with the switch. There's gotta be a simple solution I'm just not seeing. I have read the nano biscotte manual a few times and tried searching the forum and can't find anything.

gerrylum
10-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Can you upload a clearer image of your wiring? The image you have up is kind of hard to see.

sgcdialler
10-22-2015, 03:14 PM
A clearer image of the diagram would be great, plus pictures of your actual wiring as well; it's possible that you missed something without realizing it.

DarthButt
10-30-2015, 12:42 AM
OK sorry about the little bit of janky wiring in the saber picture, I undid a couple things while trying to figure it out. The wires with the blue shrink wrap are postive from the LED, switch LED, and charge port. The wire with the green shrink wrap pulled away from the solder joint is switch and recharge port that goes to the negative spot on the sound card. I also drew a diagram of how I have it wired. Hopefully this time it's readable haha.

Miraluka
10-30-2015, 03:49 AM
Is the whole board not turning off or is it just the LEDs that won't turn off?

DarthButt
10-30-2015, 12:43 PM
The whole board. I push the button and it fires up and everything works as it should and then when I push the button to turn it off nothing happens.

Miraluka
10-30-2015, 10:27 PM
Have you tried reformatting your SD card and replacing the default files or using a different SD card? The fact that you said you had the same problem with the mom/latch converter makes me think that probably won't solve anything but it couldn't hurt.

Maybe something is wrong with your A-POP settings. It might be requiring you to hold the button down for a long time or maybe an invalid value is preventing the function from working at all. That's kinda why I'm thinking restoring the files might help.

Silver Serpent
11-01-2015, 09:09 AM
Are you sure you have a momentary switch and not a latching one? This is a strange issue.

DarthButt
11-02-2015, 01:57 AM
Yes I'm positive. I've even replaced the switch thinking I just had a bad switch.

DarthButt
11-02-2015, 02:05 AM
I will try the SD card idea for sure in the next day or 2

Noyl Wendor
11-02-2015, 08:48 AM
If possible could you get a picture of your board as it is wired now?

DarthFender
11-02-2015, 01:01 PM
DarthButt,

It may sound dumb, but have you tried pressing the power button and holding until the saber starts to turn off. There is a default setting on most nanos that says to delay turning off the saber unless you hold it for about half a second. If you just tap the button it won't turn off. (It's also possible if you have a used NB or had someone else set the card settings up for you, that the delay is longer than the .5 seconds that is default.)

Worth a look.

Miraluka
11-02-2015, 04:38 PM
DarthButt,

It may sound dumb, but have you tried pressing the power button and holding until the saber starts to turn off. There is a default setting on most nanos that says to delay turning off the saber unless you hold it for about half a second. If you just tap the button it won't turn off. (It's also possible if you have a used NB or had someone else set the card settings up for you, that the delay is longer than the .5 seconds that is default.)

Worth a look.

That's the A-POP thing I was talking about. It's liiiike accidental power off protection or something. I forget what it stands for.

Jay-gon Jinn
11-02-2015, 09:39 PM
That's the A-POP thing I was talking about. It's liiiike accidental power off protection or something. I forget what it stands for.

That actually is pretty close...I believe it was originally called "Anti-Power-Off Protection."

DarthButt
12-24-2015, 12:09 AM
DarthButt,

Worth a look.

I have tried holding it down for as long as 10 seconds and nothing happens. I just got a new SD card in the mail and it's no different. The nano biscotte is also brand new to this saber. Do you have to set that A-POP setting manually? Is that what I'm missing? Or does it come preset to .5 seconds?

DarthButt
12-24-2015, 12:14 AM
If possible could you get a picture of your board as it is wired now?

Yep here it is.

Miraluka
12-24-2015, 12:19 AM
The default is 0.4 seconds, you shouldn't need to change it. The value for 0.4s is 200. Is that what your offd is set to?

DarthButt
12-24-2015, 01:02 AM
The default is 0.4 seconds, you shouldn't need to change it. The value for 0.4s is 200. Is that what your offd is set to?

yes offd is set at 200

Miraluka
12-24-2015, 01:08 AM
Honestly, I can't think of anything else other than the switch function on the board being broken/defective. Maybe ask Zook / Erv about it?

DarthButt
12-24-2015, 01:12 AM
I guess maybe I should just re-do all the wiring? maybe I have a short or something. It sounds like everything technically SHOULD work how I have it. At this point I'm super discouraged and ready to just give up on it.

Miraluka
12-24-2015, 01:17 AM
I understand being discouraged but I'd rather not see you throw in the towel.

DarthButt
12-24-2015, 01:18 AM
Honestly, I can't think of anything else other than the switch function on the board being broken/defective. Maybe ask Zook / Erv about it?

Ok I'll ask them. That would be my luck to get a screwed up board....

DarthButt
12-24-2015, 01:19 AM
I understand being discouraged but I'd rather not see you throw in the towel.

I won't I'm just being a baby right now haha