PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Focus kill key question.

rlh14
10-20-2015, 03:22 PM
Hi. Im wiring a Crystal Focus W/ Color Extender saber. My question is about the kill key. Im planning on using this battery pack http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHS-speaker-and-2x-AA-battery-holder-P766.aspx. In the description it says "not for use with recharge port setup." will it hurt the battery pack if I use a recharge port but only use it for the kill key, not for charging. Will it hurt the board if I don't have a kill key for storage? Thank in advance.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-20-2015, 03:26 PM
What you linked isn't a battery pack, it's a battery holder that can handle 2AA sized batteries.

rlh14
10-20-2015, 09:17 PM
What you linked isn't a battery pack, it's a battery holder that can handle 2AA sized batteries. Ok. Will it still work with the Crystal Focus like a battery pack? If its a battery holder does that mean it doesn't need a kill key?

darth_chasm
10-20-2015, 09:30 PM
Can't read your image. What battery have you selected for your set up.

rlh14
10-20-2015, 09:34 PM
If I'm correct its these http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/TrustFire-Protected-37V-900mAh-14500-Lithium-Battery-2-Pack-P342.aspx

darth_chasm
10-20-2015, 09:42 PM
OK I see. You want to remove your batteries for charging rather than charge in hilt. In this case wouldn't your kill key essentially be removal of the batteries?

You know an 18650 stick or 18500 stick will get you a little more runtime?

rlh14
10-20-2015, 09:48 PM
Yes I do want to remove the batteries that way I can put in a replacement pair while the others are charging. I thought I needed a recharge port so I can put in the kill key for long term storage.

rlh14
10-20-2015, 09:55 PM
I just reread you post and I get what your saying oops lol. I guess your right about just taking out the battery. The battery pack I linked will work though right?

darth_chasm
10-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Seems pointless if you can remove the batteries right? One less thing to wire and drill a hole for. And if you weren't drilling a hole you'd have to open the hilt anyway to get access to the port. Might as well pop the batteries out and call it a day. Why make it more complicated?

The bigger thing I'd be worried about is having to change the batteries out fairly often. 900mAH is not a lot of capacity.

darth_chasm
10-20-2015, 09:59 PM
I just reread you post and I get what your saying oops lol. I guess your right about just taking out the battery. The battery pack I liked will work though right?

I can't say with confidence that it will work as I've never used it so I don't know if its wired in parallel or series. Cant tell from the one pic.

My guess is its in series and that would be fine, but again not sure. Hopefully someone a little more experienced can chime in.

Silver Serpent
10-21-2015, 08:41 AM
You can use a recharge port as a kill-key setup with the battery holders, but it's not recommended to do in-hilt charging with those holders. They have a tendency to overheat and do Bad Things(tm) if the batteries aren't seated properly. After a vigorous sparring session, there's a good chance one of your batteries may not be quite as well seated as it should be.

It's fine if you're removing the batteries to charge, and just killing power with the port.

rlh14
10-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Thanks to everyone for the help. I think I'm almost ready to start wiring. Also just so everybody knows I found that diagram somewhere online I can't remember where. I dont want to take credit for someone else's work lol. Thanks again.