PDA

View Full Version : NB in a Choke

CET
10-17-2015, 03:51 PM
I have an idea for a saber I want to build, but I'd have to have the NB placed inside of the choke. It should be just barely big enough, but I don't have a chassis idea. I've been doing a lot of looking around in TCSS and online, but I'm still scratching my head over this one.

Has anyone else tried this? If so, how did you keep the NB in place?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-17-2015, 04:02 PM
It would depend on what the rest of the design looked like...

CET
10-17-2015, 10:30 PM
Here's the idea, it's based on Satele Shan's lightsaber. As you can see in the internal view, there's plenty of space after the battery in the choke and not many other places. I need a way to place the NB and I was hoping to come up with some kind of a chassis idea.

I did some photoshopping with the MHS Builder. The black cylinders near the end are the speaker and the battery, to scale.

http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=12214&d=1445146085

T-RO
11-25-2015, 11:30 AM
Not much help but cool design.

Jonitus
11-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Use a chunk of blade material to make a chassis from.

Renaissance Jedi
11-29-2015, 02:19 PM
Looking at your design, I see that you really do not have much room at all. What you will want to do, is move the battery forward in the choke in order to leave room for the NB at the rear. Your lightsaber will work a lot better if the soundboard is located near the pommel. Now, the NB will not fit in the choke unless you modify the choke. You should definitely follow Jonitus' advice and use a piece of 1 inch (in diameter) blade material to make a chassis, or sled for the NB. In order for the blade material chassis to fit inside the choke, you will need to machine the internal diameter of the choke until it is 1 inch. This choke becomes too thin in the middle for you to safely change the internal diameter to 1 inch all the way through, so I have included an image showing the point to which you can modify the choke while leaving enough of the hilt's structural integrity intact. If necessary, you can also shorten the speaker holder to make more room. The speaker will no longer snap into the speaker holder, but it can easily be held in place with a few drops of hot glue. If you do take my advice, which you definitely do not have to, you'll have your work cut out for you, but it is entirely possible to accomplish.

The red arrow points to where the NB should go.

Good Luck!!

CET
11-29-2015, 08:52 PM
Wow, that's a small tolerance. Should I be concerned about the structural integrity?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Wow, that's a small tolerance. Should I be concerned about the structural integrity?

I certainly would be.

CET
11-30-2015, 08:48 AM
The choke ID is .75" and the width of a NB is also .75". I'm thinking there's got to be a way to get it in there, even if I just make a sled out of PVC or plastic conduit. Maybe I could get on bored out an extra .05" and 3D print a sled?

TrypWyr
11-30-2015, 11:27 AM
Actually, according to the NB sale page, it's 0.73". The only place I could find a definite answer on choke bore size is on the "chassis disk style 2 with holes (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Chassis-Disc-style-2-with-holes-P598.aspx)" sale page, it states 0.8". If this is the case, it should be relatively simple to fit it in there, especially if you use a 3d-printed chassis.

What about a piece of 3/4" blade stock?

Greenie
11-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Well, I've not tried it myself, but I did read this review of the long choke, which I would assume has the same ID as other MHSv1 chokes. 12482

CET
11-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Well that's handy and almost exactly what I had in mind! Thanks Greenie!