PDA

View Full Version : where can I get a Darth Vader Rotj duel worthy saber?

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Where can I get a duel worthy Darth Vader Rotj?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Where can I get a duel worthy Darth Vader Rotj?

The only Darth Vaders that I know of that were duel worthy were made by JQ Sabers a while back, but there were only 2 as I recall. I don't know which version they were either.

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 03:37 PM
The only Darth Vaders that I know of that were duel worthy were made by JQ Sabers a while back, but there were only 2 as I recall. I don't know which version they were either.

Is it possible to make one with the MHS in the customsabershop

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 03:40 PM
I don't think the store has the emitter. I would have to take a good look at the saber (I'm not an expert on the canon sabers) and see how much of it would be "do-able".

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think the store has the emitter. I would have to take a good look at the saber (I'm not an expert on the canon sabers) and see how much of it would be "do-able".

They have the graflex emitter. how do I put the controll box on? do I need an MHS piece underneath for the controll box to slide on?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 03:49 PM
Your best bet might be waiting until the Replica MPP's come back in stock.

Isn't the graflex emitter Luke's saber from episodes 4 and 5?

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 03:51 PM
Your best bet might be waiting until the Replica MPP's come back in stock.

Isn't the graflex emitter Luke's saber from episodes 4 and 5?

I'm talking about the graflex one12120

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 03:52 PM
Yes on the Rotj Darth Vader it is a graflex. Unless we're talking about two different things

I think you are a bit confused. The Dart Vader in ROTJ is not a graflex.

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 03:54 PM

I'm talking about the Lightsaber that wasn't the mpp

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 03:58 PM
While that has a curve similar to a graflex top, the graflex doesn't have that box on the top. You probably could make something that is similar to that, but it wouldn't be too accurate.

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 04:00 PM
I found parts on shapeways for that. I'm also wondering if a controll box from the MHS builder has threads on it and it just needs to be twisted or does it need to be slid on top of a MHS piece?

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 04:02 PM
While that has a curve similar to a graflex top, the graflex doesn't have that box on the top. You probably could make something that is similar to that, but it wouldn't be too accurate.

I found parts on shapeways for that. I'm also wondering if a controll box from the MHS builder has threads on it and it just needs to be twisted or does it need to be slid on top of a MHS piece?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Specifically which box?

As a FYI, I erased your other thread.

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Specifically which box?

it looks like the Luke Rotj controll box.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 04:06 PM
You would attach it to a MHS piece using a couple of screws.

Darth_Venobi
10-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Oh okay thank you

Cire Yeldarb
10-12-2015, 12:15 PM

Technically, this is mostly correct.

Vader's Hero Saber in all 3 movies was made with an MPP (with the differences between the ANH & ESB/ROTJ versions being longer grips on the latter, and the control box being in a different position, and the clamp lever being taken off)

The image Venobi linked to was in fact Vader's ROTJ Stunt Saber which was actually heavily modified from the Luke Graflex Saber used in ANH and ESB after they no longer needed it. This modified Graflex saber is often mis-attributed as the official ROTJ saber due an officially licensed toy company making a toy version based off the stunt saber and calling it Vader's "ROTJ saber". The ugly circles all around the hilt were modifications used to hold the dueling rod in place for the stunts.

So in short, all the Hero versions of the Vader saber were made from an MPP, while the Stunt version is made from a heavily modified Graflex.

Personally, I like the Hero Version better, so if I were going to make an accurate Vader Saber, I would buy Tim's empty MPP Replica, Take off the "Microflash" Nameplate, replace the Grips with longer ones extending all the way to the clamp, remove the Clamp Lever, and of course convert it to be able to hold a blade.

Kouri
10-13-2015, 07:09 AM
Adding to Cire Yeldarb's history, it looks like Vader's carrying the modified Graflex variant in the new Battlefront game, so there might be a small spike in members wanting to build a replica of the RotJ Stunt Saber.

That said, if one doesn't need to be *exact*, Blade Holder 20, a 7" double-female extension, (x7) 3.6" t-track, the replica MPP clamp in the shop, Pommel 11, and a Kobold D-ring would be a solid start, with just a few custom greebles and some black paint on the emitter.

Cire Yeldarb
10-13-2015, 11:10 AM
Ahhh, that is good information to know Kouri, thank you for that!

and those pieces would make a fairly good approximation of the Stunt Saber, the Emitter Shroud would be the only piece you may need to find somewhere.

Darth Nurse
10-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Adding to Cire Yeldarb's history, it looks like Vader's carrying the modified Graflex variant in the new Battlefront game, so there might be a small spike in members wanting to build a replica of the RotJ Stunt Saber.

That said, if one doesn't need to be *exact*, Blade Holder 20, a 7" double-female extension, (x7) 3.6" t-track, the replica MPP clamp in the shop, Pommel 11, and a Kobold D-ring would be a solid start, with just a few custom greebles and some black paint on the emitter.

I may steal this idea to make an modernized Vader... PC the blade holder black crinkle and use a slightly different (more comfortable) grip setup...

Kouri
10-14-2015, 04:50 AM
Go nuts. Every now and again I think about putting a cleaned-up version of this saber together with a blue blade as a representation of what a redeemed Vader would build.

For anyone else wanting a few more build notes/reference:

http://www.partsofsw.com/dvjedsab.htm
http://www.partsofsw.com/dvrotjsab_gal/dvrotjthumbs.htm

Darth Nurse
10-14-2015, 06:54 AM
Go nuts. Every now and again I think about putting a cleaned-up version of this saber together with a blue blade as a representation of what a redeemed Vader would build.

For anyone else wanting a few more build notes/reference:

http://www.partsofsw.com/dvjedsab.htm
http://www.partsofsw.com/dvrotjsab_gal/dvrotjthumbs.htm

I wish control box 7 was still in the store. That would make for a very clean updated version.

Kouri
10-14-2015, 07:27 AM
I wish control box 7 was still in the store. That would make for a very clean updated version.

Yeah, it's a bit of a let down to see that part in the builder and then find out it's not in the shop. Still, a 2" length of shroud material and Box 1 should give about the same result.