PDA

View Full Version : New builder LED/power question

Sithlord32
09-28-2015, 12:20 PM
So i am going to stick to the basics and use the video tutorial for the basic saber build with sound. I have aplan for adding in a exposed crystal chamber all parts are MHS. my question is with that build from the video how would i wire in a LED for the crystal? is there a way to just utilize the blade LED? Not sure how to go about lighting the crystal or if the set up has the power for another LED. Also wouldn't it need another heat sink and resistor?

Greenie
09-28-2015, 12:51 PM
Hello there, welcome to the party. All plecter boards have the facility to add 'accent LEDs' which are detailed in the users manual of the relevant sound board, you cannot utilise the main LED. Typically, 5mm LEDs are used for this purpose and to light a crystal, they do not require a heatsink but they do need a resistor

Good luck with the build :mrgreen:

JediCarpet
09-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Assuming you're using the nano biscotte, you can wire an accent LED into the same spots as the main LED off the card to get the pulse effect that the blade enjoys in the crystal chamber. If you're going nuts and are trying to make an RBG setup where you can change the colour of the blade, you'll likely be going for a PRIZM, in which case you can wire it the same way to have the chamber change colour with the blade. Alternatively you can use an accent LED spot off the board as Greenie suggests, but you won't get that slight pulsing effect.

And, yes, resistors on all LEDs or they tend to use up all of their brightness in one very short burst.

Greenie
09-28-2015, 01:36 PM
Ah yes, the pulsing effect. I should have mentioned that, it's how I wired mine and it looks better than a static light

Sithlord32
09-28-2015, 01:37 PM
Assuming you're using the nano biscotte, you can wire an accent LED into the same spots as the main LED off the card to get the pulse effect that the blade enjoys in the crystal chamber. If you're going nuts and are trying to make an RBG setup where you can change the colour of the blade, you'll likely be going for a PRIZM, in which case you can wire it the same way to have the chamber change colour with the blade. Alternatively you can use an accent LED spot off the board as Greenie suggests, but you won't get that slight pulsing effect.

And, yes, resistors on all LEDs or they tend to use up all of their brightness in one very short burst.

I dont care much if the crystal pulses or not id just like it to light up but if its just as easy to get a pulse i suppose it pays to add it in. Yes i am using the NB card from the video. So i can just add a 5mm accent led with a 5w 1ohm resistor then? Do they have the flat type of the accent LEDS like the ones on the pads used for the blade? If not ill have to redesign the chamber to accommodate for the size and length of the accent LEDs that are in the shop.