PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 1st Build Parts List

DEATH04066
09-19-2015, 02:36 AM
Hello all, a short intro about myself before I begin. I live in Singapore and I've been very interested in Star Wars and lightsabers since young and did not come to know about "custom" lightsabers until very recently and I foolishly thought Hasbro toy lightsabers were as close as I got to the real thing LOL. Anyways, the first sabersmith I stumbled upon was actually US and I very nearly purchased a saber from them but decided to do more homework before doing so as it wasn't cheap. And boy was I glad I did my homework. Countless articles on the net about their bad products, certainly a close shave for me. After more research I stumbled upon SF which had better reviews but still plenty of bad ones. I also found VV which had nothing but amazing products but the prices and designs didn't really appeal to me and that was also the same for 2 of my local sabersmiths, Sabermach and Kit Sabers. I also couldn't afford to get one of those more experienced sabersmiths like GCS or HHCLS to build one for me and neither did I want to wait 2-3 years for one lightsaber and that's when I found TCSS, the holy grail of lightsaber building and here I am, ready to embark on my first build. My goal is to build a sith saber with the brightest in-hilt red blade with sound and NO FOC (You might be wondering why I'm not getting FOC even though I'm getting a PEX, well I just didn't really like it and I want all my LEDs powering the main blade) I hope the vetrans here would help check through my parts list to see if I'm missing anything out.

Main Body
Hilt Style 5 (7" Fluted Double Female Threaded Connector) with Machined Recessed 16mm AV Switch Hole
MHS V1 Blade Holder Style 25 + 8-32 Drill & Tap Hole for Blade Retention Screw
MHS Extension Blank Style 3 + 8-32 Drill & Tap Hole for Covertec Clip
MPS Pommel Style 3 V2
Grip Style 2 x10 (can somebody let me know how many holes there are on Hilt Style 5?)
Machined Button for Covertec Clip
Covertec Clip
8-32 1/4" Socket Head
9/64" Allen Wrench

Blade
Vader's Vault Dual Diffused Heavy Grade Dueling Blade 1" Dia Trans White + 32" + Round + Shine Through (will be getting these locally from the awesome guys at The Saber Authority who have agreed to help me order them to save on shipping cost)
8-32 x 1/2" Thumb Screw

LED
Saberforge 12W+ Red LED Unit AKA Quad Cree XQ-E (Don't kill me for mentioning SF here pls :P)

Electronics
MWS Short Momentary 16mm AV Switch Nickel (Red Ring)
Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2
Power Xtender 2.0
MWS Recharge Port
Kill Plug Style 2
3.7V Li-ion Smart Charger with 2.1mm Plug
Panasonic Li-ion 18650 3.7V 3400mAh PCB protected Rechargeable Battery (will be getting this locally since international shipping isn't available)
Premium 28mm Speaker
26 Gauge Wire (4 colours, 2 ft each)
1/16" Heatshrink Tubing (2 ft)

Chasis
MPS Insert Style 1
MPS Clip
MHS Speaker Mount V4 for 28mm Speakers
Stainless 4-40 All Thread x2
Stainless Steel 4-40 Hex Nut x2
Acrylic Chasis Disc for Recharge Port
Acrylic Chasis Disc for NB and 18500/18650 Pack
Chasis Disc Style 5 with holes
1/2" Aluminium 3/16" OD Spacer x2
3/4" Aluminium 3/16" OD Spacer x2
1" Aluminium 3/16" OD Spacer x2

That's about all I suppose, I hope I'm not missing out on anything. I know that not all parts are available currently but will be getting them as soon as they are. If I'm missing out on anything, I hope the kind veterans here can point them out to me. Many thanks :)

Miraluka
09-19-2015, 03:30 AM
I'm just going to go ahead and suggest you not use a SF LED. You said you want the brightest blade, and that's not what you get from SF. I think you'll be much happier with a tri CREE.

Also, you have no resistor for your switch LED.
If you do end up using something other than an SF LED, you'll need resistor(s) for that, too.

DEATH04066
09-19-2015, 03:35 AM
Oh...I see, thanks so much! Will be getting a tri cree instead then! Will be getting a 0.5ohm resistor for it. Do I need 1 or 3 resistors for the led?
The switch im getting is the MWS one with pre wired resistor

Greenie
09-19-2015, 04:00 AM
You will need a resistor for each diode (Buy more than you need they're cheap). Also you will find many post here explaining the difference in brightness of various led set ups. More wattage does not always mean more brightness. Your choice of blade and amount of wrap is also a key factor
I would, personally, by pass the unnamed and go with a the tri Crees sold here at TCSS. They have EVERYTHING you need :)

DEATH04066
09-19-2015, 04:08 AM
I see, would I still need a PEX then if im using the tri cree set up?

setelf3of5
09-19-2015, 04:30 AM
welcome and good luck on your build.

Greenie
09-19-2015, 06:05 AM
I see, would I still need a PEX then if im using the tri cree set up?

The PEX allows for FOC, I nice effect for your saber. You could use a R/R/W with the two reds for main blade a white for FOC
You would need a very good eye to see the difference between two reds and three reds

DEATH04066
09-19-2015, 07:47 AM
Thank you setelf3of5!
@Greenie, yea but still dont really like FOC, maybe it's just me :p

Miraluka
09-20-2015, 01:12 AM
If you don't like FoC, you can absolutely just run the 2 reds without using the third diode. If you run it that way, you won't need the pex. But if you think you may want to use FoC eventually, you could get one just in case.

DEATH04066
09-20-2015, 01:21 AM
Wow didnt think of it that way! Thanks!