PDA

View Full Version : Alternative shroud material

Maroon
09-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Hi guys,

I've been working with the 1.5" Sink Tailpieces to fit over my MHS parts. While I was initially satisfied with the results, I just don't find it all that aesthetically pleasing anymore. Contrasted with the beautiful MHS parts, it just looks.....meh.. I was wondering whether anyone here can recommend alternatives to the Sink tube.

I know there's the MHS Sleeve material, but it's currently out of stock and I'm in the UK so sending it over ends up costing a small fortune. I've looked around Ebay for Aluminium tubing but I'll be the first to admit I have no real idea what to look for. Should I just suck it up and stick with the Sink-tube?

Thanks

Silver Serpent
09-16-2015, 12:28 PM
There are certain sizes of PVC tubing that fit perfectly over the sinktube. Properly sanded and painted, and you'll never be able to tell it apart from (painted) metal just by looking.

Maroon
09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
There are certain sizes of PVC tubing that fit perfectly over the sinktube. Properly sanded and painted, and you'll never be able to tell it apart from (painted) metal just by looking.

Yes, this is certainly an option I'm considering. I've already purchased some PVC tubing for what I'd like to be a bone section over the grip.

My initial plan was to create the metal shroud from this same PVC but thought I may has well put in the extra effort and work with something metal for a nicer result. Besides, I would have liked to do some etching.

Quixotic Jedi
09-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I like using copper plumbing. Not sure if the sizes are the same there, but I get some 1.5 inch pipe. Downsides are it is pretty expensive, ( I paid about 50 USD for a 5 foot length at the local big box home improvement store ) and you still need to use the brass sink tube and sometimes a bit of tape in between the MHS parts and the copper so it fits without gaps, and it adds a bit to the weight of the saber. Upsides are you can etch it, paint it, put a patina on it, powder coat it, and machine solid threads in any holes for switches.