PDA

View Full Version : Sooo many questions...

chocol8milkman
09-12-2015, 07:13 PM
Hi all - wondering if y'all can help me with a couple questions that I have. I'm a newbie and don't know any other way to do this, so I'll just list them below. Here goes:

I have about a half-dozen items in my "wish-list" that are not in stock right now. How often do these actually get stocked? Should I wait for everything to come in or order bits over time? (these items are required to actually assemble the saber and I can't really do anything without them)
Is the ID of pommels wide enough to fit additional electronics/chassis length? For example: I want to have a shorter body and longer pommel (i.e. #10), but my chassis won't fit unless there's room in the pommel. Is this possible?
Are there recommended soldering tips/irons? I have a pretty cheap one (Nexxtech #DS-45B) with a messy tip. Should I upgrade (to what exactly)?
What type of rosin core solder do you use? What width? (I have a 1.2mm 60/40 roll, but think that might be too thick to work with the sound cards)
Where can I get 28 gauge electrical wire (the stuff Madcow uses)?

Big list, I know. But I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks guys.

http://imoviequotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/201-The-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre-quotes.gif

Zahc Zi Phan
09-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Tim stocks stuff as fast as he can but high demand causes things to sell out. Get what you can a little at a time so it doesn't keep selling out before you can get everything.

The inner diameter of most pommels is the same as the MHS parts so you can fit some in yes. Although if you want sound you need to leave a little space in the pommel for the resonance chamber to make the speaker sound the best it can.

I have an X-tronic soldering station. They're not too expensive and come with all the goodies. You need an ESD safe station to work with these soundboards so you don't accidentally damage them with static discharge.

Get the lead stuff 60/40 with rosin core and a slightly smaller diameter. That is kinda large especially if you're not very experienced with soldering small connections.

I get my wire from Polulu. I can't link to them per forum rules but you can find them.

darth_chasm
09-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Order in bits, stuff goes quick and I've found that it's nearly impossible to make an order for EVERYTHING you need.

I have an Aoyue 469 solder station and Hakko tips. It's a good low level esd safe station with adjustable temp. The tips made a world of difference from the stock tip.

I'm with Zach on the solder. I use 60/40 (63/37) 0.02mm solder made by chip quick. Leaded wire flows much better and will make your life so much easier. You can use flux too if you find you're having trouble with flow. You'll get more control with thinner wire.

26 awg wire works just fine and you can get that here ;)

snilam
09-12-2015, 09:44 PM
Like everyone else is saying get what you can when it's available. The likely hood of everything being in stock at one time is unlikely. Though with all the new developments it should get better but in the same breath with TFA just around the corner demand should also increase.

I have a hakko fx888d. Love it no complaints. Not to expensive around $100. I forget my tip size but it's pretty small. I think it's .20mm. Right now I'm using 62/36/2 0.15" silver bearing solder but usually use 60/40 .8mm. I still don't know which I prefer. Both have their perks I guess

chocol8milkman
09-13-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys!!! Really appreciate the help here.

I've been shopping the web to find all the stuff I need today. Funny how, even though I live in a big city (pop of greater metro ~8MM) it's very hard to find decent stuff here. Popped into a Home Hardware and a couple electronics/hobby shops, but nothing good there. I'm better off ordering a soldering iron from Alibaba, etc. I saw a couple hakko kits for well under a 100 bones with free shipping... can't go wrong eh? Going to Canadian Tire at lunch tomorrow to pick up a Dremel 3000 drill as I've always wanted one and have had numerous projects that could've used one, but I had to make-do without one.

As for the TCSS parts, I'm going to wait until there's at least a couple more pieces in before ordering my big/complicated saber. I can't even get started on anything without a few of the key missing pieces. In the mean time, I'm going to construct a very basic stunt saber for dueling. I'd like it to have a soundboard, but there's none available right now either :( LOL

Anyone know if there's a saber-dueling group in Toronto???

tech_joshua
10-26-2015, 09:34 AM
Order in bits, stuff goes quick and I've found that it's nearly impossible to make an order for EVERYTHING you need.

I have an Aoyue 469 solder station and Hakko tips. It's a good low level esd safe station with adjustable temp. The tips made a world of difference from the stock tip.

I'm with Zach on the solder. I use 60/40 (63/37) 0.02mm solder made by chip quick. Leaded wire flows much better and will make your life so much easier. You can use flux too if you find you're having trouble with flow. You'll get more control with thinner wire.

26 awg wire works just fine and you can get that here ;)

I just bought this exact iron. It has variable temp but doesn't show what the temps are. Any pointers you can give for settings that have worked for you?

darth_chasm
10-26-2015, 09:50 AM
Mess around with it between 5 and 7 and you should be good. Practice on some spare parts/wire to get a feel.

tech_joshua
10-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Mess around with it between 5 and 7 and you should be good. Practice on some spare parts/wire to get a feel.

Great! Gives me a good starting point. Thanks.