PDA

View Full Version : Blade Holder Not Wide Enought for a Blade?

MiguelMeanGreen
09-10-2015, 06:17 PM
Hey.
Recently made my first purchase of TCCS parts; included was a MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 2. Now, I know they are supposed to fit one inch blades, but mine.... does not... fit any of my one inch blades. What is the actual average inner diameter of blade holders on TCCS parts? Mine measured literally half of a hair over one inch, and it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE to fit a blade in. Not sure if I just got a blade holder that's outside of tolerances or if I'm missing something here... I assume it would make sense for the blade holder to have a little wiggle room inside for the blade before the retention screw sets it in place.
Anyone else had problems like this? Suggestions? Name calling and the making fun of me? I suppose I welcome it all if I can just figure this out :?

amwolf
09-10-2015, 06:32 PM
While there is a small tolerance from "nominal" in both the blade holders and blade stock I've never seen them that didn't work... or be made to work. The two sabers on my desk... with the same blade one is definitely, uh, a tighter fit than the other one. If you've got a set of calipers, you can check the two parts. Having said that, a few questions...
1.) Did you cut the blade down from raw stock, or but it premade? When I've cut the stock myself, especially when using a pipe cutter, the end at the cut tends to flare out a bit and needs to be filed/sanded down. Which then leads to #2...
2.) Try sanding the last 2" of the blade with some very fine grit sandpaper - the section that will be set inside the blade holder. Put some painters tape around the blade to remind yourself where to stop, and stick some paper towel inside the blade to keep the dust out. Give it a few sanding passes, wipe off the dust, then check it. Repeat as necessary.

darth_chasm
09-10-2015, 06:36 PM
My most recent one- purchased a few weeks ago- was extremely tight and got even tighter when I modified it. Probably took it out of round a bit. I am just going to take the ID down a bit with some sandpaper and elbow grease.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-10-2015, 06:52 PM
What kind of blade are you using?

Silver Serpent
09-10-2015, 07:03 PM
FJK's response is my first thought as well. Getting blade stock with the proper tolerances is not easy. I've never had an issue with TCSS blades fitting in MHS parts.

I have heard of other (nameless) people's blades that don't have the right tolerances to fit properly in anything other than their own sabers.

Edit: Just checked my sabers. All the bladeholders were right at 1.00 inch diameter according to my calipers.

snilam
09-10-2015, 07:22 PM
I've never had any that absolutely would not fit but definitely some that I had to persuade with a heavy hand to go in. Just sand it down a little. I sand the outsides of my blades anyway so if one is a little tight I just sand a little more toward the bottom.

MiguelMeanGreen
09-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I will admit the blade is from other (nameless) people. I figured it might just need a little sanding from either perspective, blade or blade holder, but at least now I know.

Miraluka
09-10-2015, 11:30 PM
Yeah... I've gotten a blade plug from a different company which had to be sanded pretty significantly to make it fit properly in MHS blade holders. The bulk of the thing would fit fine, but it was just a bit tighter up at the top of the plug... it resulted in the plug going in all the way, but I had to use pliers to remove it. Between the pliers and the sanding, there was some damage to the metallic finish. Kind of annoying, but it is what it is. At least it works now.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-11-2015, 04:19 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I will admit the blade is from other (nameless) people. I figured it might just need a little sanding from either perspective, blade or blade holder, but at least now I know.

If it's one of US's blades, they are notoriously a tad over 1", and yes they will require some sanding.