PDA

View Full Version : LED Misfire

Whi-ja
09-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Hello!
A PC3.5 build is acting strangely, and I wonder if anyone can help diagnose the symptoms.

Summary: New install of PC3.5 adapted for use with a single 3.7V 18650 cell and a RGB tri-Cree XPE2 wired for one LED per each of the three channels on the board (red= main channel 1, G&B on channels 2&3).
When I pull the kill key, blue LED seems to be direct-driven and overdriven even when board is not powered on. Other two LEDS do not work at all. Green and Blue use and common positive that leads back to the pos power pad on the board; green and blue negatives return to bridged PEx pads on channels two and three. Red uses the main (L+ and L-) pads. Only Blue works, and it is on whenever kill key is out.

I'm using the stock SD card, only mod was to to delete color profiles except only one, test profile (color0=400,400,400 fcolor0=400,400,400) in the override file. But the fact that the LED has power even when the board doesn't tells me I'm probably looking for a short somewhere. (All connections are covered with heat shrink, and board is insulated from the hilt...
Sound, recharge/kill key, accent LEDs, and lighted switch buttons all working as expected.

I'll post pics of the wiring and the override as CONFIG files ASAP. This one has me stumped, so I really appreciate any ideas the community has.

Silver Serpent
09-09-2015, 03:19 PM
Sounds like something is not wired properly. Once you post pics, we'll be able to tell for sure.

Cire Yeldarb
09-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Definitely sounds like wiring issue so far...

Whi-ja
09-09-2015, 06:55 PM
Sounds like something is not wired properly. Once you post pics, we'll be able to tell for sure.

100% agreed. Family biz took precedence tonight, but I should have the saber disassembled tomorrow night for pics.
I've never had something like this happen with a board, and the wiring is pretty straightforward. So I'm glad to have a second and third pair of eyes to help me see what will probably turn out to be fairly obvious. :-)

Grimlock84
09-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Sounds like the negative from the blue led is some how wired to the the negative from the battery. I would check and see if you ran it to the battery negative post on the recharge port instead of the board negative post.

Whi-ja
09-10-2015, 03:40 PM
So as soon as I started disassembling the hilt, I saw the problem. The mistake was not on the board or on the recharge port. It was much simpler. I somehow wired the neg from channel one to the same LED as the common pos for channels 2&3. I correctly rewired the LED, and everything is perfect. I ran out of different colored wires and used the same color for several functions on the LED, which is the last thing I wire and the simplest to do right (also the simplest to do wrong, it turns out).

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. This is why it love this forum: hobbyists helping hobbyists. I love it that I peruse the forums to give helpful advice only to find usually that three other people have already helped folks out. Thanks, everyone!

Whi-ja
09-10-2015, 06:52 PM

Silver Serpent
09-10-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm happy to hear you got it figured out.

Miraluka
09-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Wow, that hilt is super cool.