PDA

View Full Version : First build...ordered some wrong parts....OR did I????

CanyonVR
08-24-2015, 01:06 PM
So... Like Han Solo in the cantina or a teenager in the back seat of a late model Chevy, I got too excited and shot first.

I read through n00b! (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?6430-n00b!-So-you-want-to-build-a-MHS-saber-huh) and just followed along for the most part.

1 of: MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 16
1 of: 8-32 x 1/2" thumb screw
1 of: Hilt style 3
1 of: MPS Insert style 3
1 of: MPS Clip
1 of: Rebel Star LED & MHSV1 Heatsink Module
1 of: BuckPuck 700mA 4-wire
1 of: 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack
1 of: Push on/push off switch with black button
1 of: Black rubber switch boot
1 of: LED "Corbin style" Show blade 1" OD (28 inches)
1 of: Switchcraft 2.1mm Power Jack
1 of: 3.7V-14.8V Li-Ion Smart charger
1 of: MPS Pommel style 1

I also got "Machine recessed 16mm AV switch hole" (thought it made things sound easier...)

After I received all the parts I looked mainly at :

1 of: Push on/push off switch with black button
1 of: Black rubber switch boot

And thought "How the hell does that secure in my hilt? Baffled I went back to the "switches" page and realized there were lots of cool ones to choose from that I just didn't look at because I wanted to jump too fast into it.

Now I am sitting back and re-grouping. Looking to get an LED switch for my above set up.

With my recessed 16mm AV switch hole I am assuming that a 16mm AV switch will comfortably and effortlessly fit. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

What is the difference between the Long and the Short (besides the obvious) AV switches? Is one easier to work with that the other?

Thanks...

Zahc Zi Phan
08-24-2015, 01:17 PM
I did that my first time too. Easy tiger! The long switches are just that, long. They have twice the pins on the bottom for activating two circuits at the same time. You wouldn't have a use for one likely. If you have the recessed switch hole service, I believe the long switch would also bottom out and hit the other side of the hilt. Get the short style 16mm and you'll be dandy. If you haven't seen an AV switch in person before, they are very nice. I likes them a lot.

Zach

snilam
08-24-2015, 01:23 PM
I believe since you are doing a stunt saber you are going to typically need a latching 16mm av switch. However the latching av switches are too long to go in the hilt without a box or bezel so you would need a momentary 16mm av switch and a momentary to latching converter. Part number POLSV.

Greenie
08-24-2015, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forums canyonVR
I would like to add : when you order your switch, don't forget to get a 20mA dynaohm (which has a + and - end) for the led
:mrgreen:

darth_chasm
08-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There's a cool little video about switches here http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17320-Video-Choosing-the-right-switch-and-switch-hole

CanyonVR
08-26-2015, 08:20 AM
Extremely helpful!!!! Thanks guys.

Of course some of the cool things I want are out of stock....

I'll post again when I place my next order!