PDA

View Full Version : super new need help.

Stevekrause83
08-15-2015, 08:18 AM
I've been reading threads and posts for weeks now. My daughter wants a saber ( she is 5) and she wants it pink. I have chosen a cree r/r/w led. Now my question is about resistors. I used the led wizard and it recommends 1.2ohms 3watts resistor for each red. However the same wizard claims that it recommends a resistor that will run the led at less than 60% power.

So rather than using the recommended resistor should I use a weaker one. Such as the .5 ohm 3watt? (One for each)

and for the white diode will the recommended resistor be appropriate so it doesn't wash out my color? (going for pink)

Jay-gon Jinn
08-15-2015, 08:43 AM
I would just figure out what resistor you need yourself, and get whatever is closest, by rounding up: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17109-Tutorial-FJK-s-quot-Down-and-Dirty-quot-guide-to-Ohm-s-Law Resistor calculators always err on the side of caution and round 2-3 times higher than may be necessary.

darth_chasm
08-15-2015, 08:52 AM
I have an RRW and when flash on clash is activated I get a white-ish pink. Something like a white core with pink aura. Reds have a 1.2 ohm 3w and white has a 1 ohm 1w.

Stevekrause83
08-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Thanks.

Miraluka
08-16-2015, 03:53 AM
Am I the only one that thinks a nicer pink could be made from a R/B/W? Most people complain that Red and standard blue make pink instead of purple anyways. Resistor that blue a little extra and you're probably there. The white could get you a paler pink if that's your thing, or just white FoC. Dunno if you're running a board or not.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-16-2015, 06:32 AM
Am I the only one that thinks a nicer pink could be made from a R/B/W? Most people complain that Red and standard blue make pink instead of purple anyways. Resistor that blue a little extra and you're probably there. The white could get you a paler pink if that's your thing, or just white FoC. Dunno if you're running a board or not.

"Nicer" is subjective, and also depends greatly on the skill of the mixer. ;)

darth_chasm
08-16-2015, 06:49 AM
I agree with with FJK, it all depends on what the individual wants to achieve. That said, when we mix colors in graphics, RGB color mode, and we want a "truer" color it is usually two or more of the primary colors and white. Using one primary and white will often return a unwanted washed out result. Think of it more as a tint of that primary color rather than a true mix of the desired color.

Miraluka
08-16-2015, 12:32 PM
"Nicer" is subjective, and also depends greatly on the skill of the mixer. ;)

I get that; that's why I'm asking if others feel the same way. With the OP being new, he might appreciate the feedback.

Stevekrause83
08-16-2015, 01:56 PM
The OP appreciates all feedback. I am not running a board. Although I am on the fence about adding sound with a Nano Biscotti. That board doesn't have color mixing capabilities, does it?

Anyways. My first build is for my 5 year old. All she cares about is that its pink and when Disney opens Star wars theme parks.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-16-2015, 02:02 PM
No, the NB wasn't designed to do color mixing - you would need to use resistors. Color mixing would take at least the Prizm or higher, preferably with a RICE port.

Stevekrause83
08-16-2015, 02:24 PM
No, the NB wasn't designed to do color mixing - you would need to use resistors. Color mixing would take at least the Prizm or higher, preferably with a RICE port.

That's what I thought. That's a few builds down the road. Perhaps when I reach the level of building all of you have.

Miraluka
08-16-2015, 03:24 PM
The OP appreciates all feedback. I am not running a board. Although I am on the fence about adding sound with a Nano Biscotti. That board doesn't have color mixing capabilities, does it?

Anyways. My first build is for my 5 year old. All she cares about is that its pink and when Disney opens Star wars theme parks.

Never having been to a Disney park, I can't guarantee this but I think other people have told me that they don't let you walk around their parks with a bladed lightsaber but they're okay with the hilt. Hopefully they'll allow it in the star wars part but I'd definitely look into that before you arrive. :)

Cire Yeldarb
08-17-2015, 10:24 AM
Never having been to a Disney park, I can't guarantee this but I think other people have told me that they don't let you walk around their parks with a bladed lightsaber but they're okay with the hilt. Hopefully they'll allow it in the star wars part but I'd definitely look into that before you arrive. :)

Even the cheap plastic sabers they sell at the parks, they put a piece of tape over the extendable blade (and tell you to keep it there) to keep it from extending while you are in the park.

Miraluka
08-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Even the cheap plastic sabers they sell at the parks, they put a piece of tape over the extendable blade (and tell you to keep it there) to keep it from extending while you are in the park.

Yeah, see, that's no fun. I wonder why they don't allow it...

Stevekrause83
08-19-2015, 10:39 AM
Yeah, see, that's no fun. I wonder why they don't allow it...

Accidents and injuries. We were there last October. Took my daughter on the star wars ride. She got pick out of the crowd as a rebel spy (prompting R2 to steal out transport and run from the empire). Now she is hooked! They have Star Wars days at Hollywood studios. (were they have the star wars ride.) They do different events every now and then. But I read somewhere that Disney is going to build 14 acre "star wars land" in both Orlando and California.

thanks everyone for your opinions and methods. I found 3watt pink leds. I have read the 3watt were particularly bright, should those be passed over?

Miraluka
08-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Accidents and injuries. We were there last October. Took my daughter on the star wars ride. She got pick out of the crowd as a rebel spy (prompting R2 to steal out transport and run from the empire). Now she is hooked! They have Star Wars days at Hollywood studios. (were they have the star wars ride.) They do different events every now and then. But I read somewhere that Disney is going to build 14 acre "star wars land" in both Orlando and California.

thanks everyone for your opinions and methods. I found 3watt pink leds. I have read the 3watt were particularly bright, should those be passed over?

Right, those new star wars parts were what I was referring to when I said I hope they'd let us take bladed lightsabers there. I doubt it'll happen, but a guy can dream.

I don't know what pink LEDs you're looking at so it's hard to give an opinion, but yeah, using a single 3W LED is pretty common, like the CREEs and Rebels TCSS sells. Lately, though... seems like everyone is using triples.