PDA

View Full Version : PC V3.5 vs CF V7.5

knockpoint
08-15-2015, 12:14 AM
I know that, obviously the Crystal focus is better, but I'm trying to find all the features you lose with the petit crouton. I'm trying to decide if the CF is worth paying more for.

Miraluka
08-15-2015, 12:25 AM
The features of both are listed in their owner manuals but here you go anyways

PC 3.5 features & maximum ratings
- Dimensions: 51.4x23.5x7.5 mm (with the microSD card).
- Power supply : 5.5 to 11 V / 2.5A (with the High-power LED). 2 li-ion cells
(18650 or 14500) batteries recommended. Compatible with a single cell pack
with a simple hack.
- Idle current consumption : 9 mA (deep sleep mode)
- Speaker: 4 to 8 ohm.
- Audio output Power : 2W
- Accent LEDs : 4
- Accent LEDs pad current source : 18 mA max per pad
- Handles momentary or latching for blade activation
- 3 selectable sound banks via Font Xchange
- Blaster Blocking, Force, Force Clash and Lockup Fx
- Blade Flickering Fx
- Blade Shimmering on Clash
- Blaster Sounds
- Up to 4 boot sounds
- Up to 16 swing and 16 clash sounds
- Up to 6 sound banks
- Flash on Clash (FoC)
- Anti Power Off technology (A-POP)
- 32 stage accent LED sequencer
- WAV file support
- True 16 bit, 22.050 kSamples/sec crystal clear DAC
- SD card support: up to 16GB (SD & SDHC), FAT16 or FAT32. Sandisk and
Kingston brands preferred.
- FlexiBlend powered Color Mixing on 3 channels using the satellite board or
stand alone using a single cell.
- Color profiles changeable in real time
- Configurable normal blade & FoC colors
- Font Protection System
- Real Time Configuration Editor (R.I.C.E.)

CF 7.5 features & maximum ratings
- Dimensions: 53x23.5x7.5 mm (with the microSD card).
- Power supply: 5.5 to 11 V / 3.5A (with the High-power LED). 2 li-ion cells
(18650 or 14500) batteries recommended.
- Idle current consumption : 10 mA (deep sleep mode)
- Speaker: 4 to 8 ohm.
- Audio output Power : 2W
- Accent LEDs : 8
- Accent LEDs pad current source : 18 mA max per pad
- On-board PLI
- Blade mirroring accent LEDs
- Handles momentary or latching for blade activation
- Up to 12 selectable sound banks via audio menu
- Blaster Blocking, Force, Force Clash and Lockup Fx
- StabFx, SpinFx & ComboFx
- Blade Flickering & Core pulse Fx
- Blade Shimmering on Clash
- Blaster Sounds
- Up to 4 boot sounds
- Up to 16 swing and 16 clash sounds
- Flash on Clash (FoC)
- Anti Power On / Off technology (A-POP)
- Blaster Move
- Power on Force
- Hilt Angle Ignition Sound Selection
- Mute-on-The-Boot
- Alternate Power Off sounds (motion vs no motion)
- Configurable Idle mode & power saving timer
- Wake-up on motion with WakeOnMove
- Motion-triggered Ignition
- 32 stage accent LED sequencer
- Crystal Chamber specials
- WAV file support
- True 16 bit, 22.050 kSamples/sec crystal clear DAC
- iSaber Audio Player, up to 99 WAV tracks, play/pause/shuffle
- SD card support: up to 16GB, FAT16 or FAT32. Sandisk brand preferred.
- FlexiBlend powered Color Mixing on 4 channels using the satellite board
- Configurable normal blade, FoC & Lockup colors
- Real Time Configuration Editor (R.I.C.E.)

Taki117
08-15-2015, 10:13 PM
I apologize for the highjacking, but where do you get the CF 7.5? The only one I can find in the store is the PC.

Miraluka
08-15-2015, 10:36 PM
From Plecter Labs. Google it ;)

chocol8milkman
09-08-2015, 07:21 AM
sorry for resurrecting an older thread (three weeks old), but I was wondering the same thing. So, I created a table to summarize the differences. (See below)
In all, the main difference between the two is the CF 7.5 can handle a higher current +1.6A and has a bunch of additional features, while PC 3.5 can run off a single cell pack (with a simple hack). This leaves you with a couple trade-off questions. Do you want and actually need additional current? Or would you value a smaller form-factor (using a single cell pack)? Are the additional features actually worth the extra cash.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-08-2015, 09:10 AM
sorry for resurrecting an older thread (three weeks old), but I was wondering the same thing. So, I created a table to summarize the differences. (See below)
In all, the main difference between the two is the CF 7.5 can handle a higher current +1.6A and has a bunch of additional features, while PC 3.5 can run off a single cell pack (with a simple hack). This leaves you with a couple trade-off questions. Do you want and actually need additional current? Or would you value a smaller form-factor (using a single cell pack)? Are the additional features actually worth the extra cash.

Not quite accurate. The 3.7V hack can be done on the CF as well. To answer your question is the CF worth it? That all depends on you. It is the original "fan made" sound board that this hobby started using all those years ago.

Also the store will start carrying the CF later this year.

DarthFender
09-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Also, to chocol8miklman, you'll need a higher voltage battery pack to drive LED's in series which is supported by both the CF and the PC. Also, you'll need higher current to drive multiple LEDs in parallel. If you have 3 cree LEDs in parallel (or a tripple star wired in parallel) you could easily pull 3A through them without even overdriving any of them.

--edit--
that would be 1A each, not 3A to any one of them, but the pull on the pattery would be 3A and the same current would go through the board.

Zahc Zi Phan
09-08-2015, 10:15 AM
Subjectively, IMHO, ANY Plecter Labs board is fantastic, it just comes down to the features that you want and what you are willing to pay (although the difference in price isn't much). I have not had the pleasure of working with a PC 3.5, but I do have an old PC 2.0 and a CF 7.5. There isn't really a comparison between those two because the CF is just simply amazing and the new hotness. Very reactive, very crisp, very high quality. My PC is also very high quality, it is just slightly dated so I feel like it would be unfair to compare.

In short, if you want an awesome board that does most everything the CF does minus spin sounds etc. and 4 extra accent LEDs, get the PC. If you want the whole kit and caboodle to get the best possible experience, get the CF.

EDIT: I should have also said if you don't plan on really doing the research and color mixing/wiring the CF for full potential, just get the PC. It would be the best bang for your buck for a simple saber that can also do a lot of cool things.

chocol8milkman
09-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Not quite accurate. The 3.7V hack can be done on the CF as well. To answer your question is the CF worth it? That all depends on you. It is the original "fan made" sound board that this hobby started using all those years ago.

Also the store will start carrying the CF later this year.

@ForgetfulJediKnight Quick question on the above. I noticed that Plector Labs doesn't have any boards in stock right now. How does the purchasing process work? Are they expected to have a whole bunch ready to be purchased at some point later this year as you mention above? Or are they available here at TCSS? Do you have a time frame? I'd just like to buy one with a Color Extender, but can't find them any where.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-08-2015, 12:12 PM
The store will (eventually) be carrying all of the boards (including the CF for the first time). They will be posted in the store as they become available, but they likely won't be available for a couple of months yet. There have been a lot of changes going on to help address the extremely high demand, and this was one of them.