PDA

View Full Version : Second Saber "Vindicare" sitll in design stage

Thalan the Exiled
08-13-2015, 07:20 AM
So I am working on my second saber. Ibam going with a very dark look with this one. I am not sure if I am going to add sound or not since I have a NBv2 just sitting around. Mostly a space issue. If I have space then I will if not I will save it for my third saber. Ok so now for the parts.

Pommel style 3
2" double female
Long choke #3
Blade holder #27
12mm switch
Recharg port

Total length 9.675"

I kept the length under 10" since this is meant to be a single hand saber. Something easy to hide under a robe. Hope you like it. I will post more once I get the parts ordered. I am waiting on the choke to come back in stock.

Johannes Huber
08-13-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm a big fan of the long choke (made my first saber with it) but I think you may be in for a tight fit on the sound card and battery, although there are far better people than me to ask on that. I like the use of that Blade holder, but you may also, depending on which heat sink you use, run into trouble with it fitting into the choke properly (I just had to deal with this on a saber I made for a friend and am now upgrading. Major thanks to Tim for being able to do a piece of custom work to handle it.
Do add the NB into your plans. I love these little boards, they're rugged, easy(er) to solder and sound great. I you run into trouble with stuffing in the 18650/18500, you might consider expanding the rear section to 3" of double female and a shorter pommel. I confess to a personal fondness for pommel 3v1, 6 and 7 for the "concealable" saber since they won't snag on clothing but that's a personal preferences. Good luck and keep us posted:)

Cire Yeldarb
08-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Looks cool! Is that a switch or recharge port in the lower extension?

edit: Wait, nevermind, once I made it bigger I saw a red ring, so I assume its meant to be a 12mm AV

Thalan the Exiled
08-13-2015, 04:05 PM
Yes 12mm switch and if some'ne could tell me can you fit a 12mm switch and a recharge port in a 2" double female. If not I will have to re think my switch and maybe go with a tactile. And I don't think I am gonna do sound. It would be to much hassle to fit it in there. As for the led heatsink I think I am gonna go with a tri led so that shortens the heatsink quite a bit

MasterStoddard
08-13-2015, 04:52 PM
The name reminds me of an Assassin from the game Warhammer 40,000. Nice design.

Thalan the Exiled
08-13-2015, 06:16 PM
the name is actually Latin for Vengeance. so does anyone know if you can put a recharge port and a 12mm switch in a 2" double female section

Ty_Bomber
08-13-2015, 07:05 PM
First of all, great design. MHS often sees repetition in designs by its nature, so it's great to see a saber like this that stands out.

To answer your question, you would be hard pressed to fit both the av switch and the recharge port in that section, so I would bump it up to a 3", personally. You only have 1" of space to work with on a 2" extension, since you have almost a half inch of threads on either side. I think the 3" extension would look better anyway. The design is great, but just a touch too short for my tastes.

Added bonus, its likely you could fit your nano in there, if you plan things properly! Great looking hilt, I look forward to seeing it complete!

Thalan the Exiled
08-13-2015, 07:11 PM
Yeah i may have to go to the 3" even tho i prefer a shot hilt. i think the 3" will give me the play i need. i have been playing around with the design since i have time waiting on parts to come in stock. here are a few i came up with.

The claw design i created playing around. Dont know how i would actually make them or out of what but i like them.

Miraluka
08-13-2015, 08:26 PM
They would not be easy to attach that way. The rear connection is over the threads so you couldn't really screw them in right there and if you only attach them at 1 point, you'll want slots in your emitter to keep them from twisting around.

Thalan the Exiled
08-13-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah the last design needs some re-thinking. I don't want to have to cut slots. I think inam going to go with the second claw design. I just need to decide which pommel I want to use. If I go with the tapered end I can use the 2" section cause I can put the recharge port in the pommel. But I think the pointed one is more "Sithy". Either way I am stuck waiting on parts to come in stock. I was also thinking of doing some major etching to this hilt. Something along the lines of how Satele Shan saber is etched. That real intricate stuff. Not sure if it would look good but a thought.

Thalan the Exiled
08-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Anyone know how I should go about making the claws? I have little experience when it comes go cutting metals.

Miraluka
08-13-2015, 11:09 PM
I PM'd you.

Thalan the Exiled
08-14-2015, 07:34 AM
Ok so i think i have a final design for the saber. Not sure of the color yet but i got carried away on my paint program. the claws are still a rough design but the final design will be very similar to these, again not sure of the color. Hope you like. Oh and yes i kept the 2" double female since the recharge port will be in the pommel leaving me plenty of room. I may even add an accent light in the pommel to match the blade who knows.

Total length(no claws) 9 inch
with claws estimated 11 inch

Johannes Huber
08-14-2015, 09:08 AM
Well, building the claws isn't too bad: You need a hack saw (or a dremel type tool with a ceramic cutting wheel. Don't get the little metal wheels that look like buzzsaws: they have a nasty habit of becoming shrapnel), a pattern that you make, probably best with graph paper and then make a copy for each claw and place it on your handy piece of aluminum and cut out the rough shapes, then files and sand paper to fine-tune the shapes of each claw and then the tricky part: drilling and tapping the claws so you can fit them on. If you want to look at one of the masters of the "build it yourself with minimal tools and maximum imagination", see if you can find Eastern57's threads on the board. They are incredibly useful. Really like the evolution of the design!

Cire Yeldarb
08-14-2015, 10:17 AM
Oh that was quite the change! Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Thalan the Exiled
08-14-2015, 01:56 PM
Ok I got the claw design set and drawn out on paper. The last pic is pretty much dead on. Probable gonna be 1/4" thick and mounted with 4-40 screws. I think I am going to find myself a company that can make them for me(as long as the cost is low enough). I also thought about making them out of something other than aluminum. Like maybe polycarbonate or acrylic. This is going to be a show saber so I don't need to worry about breakage due to impacts. I just don't know if I can paint either of those easily. I think the cost would be less since I have the tools to cut those. Wish ibcould find some black polycarbonate sheets. Guess I will have to put the google-fu to work.

Thalan the Exiled
08-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Does anyone happen to know the exact size of the space above and below the holes on this blade holder. http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/MHSV1-Blade-Holder-Style-4-P247.aspx
from the picture i am guessing the lower is around .5" and the upper is around .25". but i need the exact size so i can get my claws right. I messaged Tim but i know he is a busy man and cant always reply quickly. so i thought i would ask here as well

Greenie
08-14-2015, 04:25 PM
You can find 'scrap' aluminium just about anywhere........when you look for it :D

Thalan the Exiled
08-14-2015, 04:34 PM
LOL nice. so i have been bored and playing around some more. i just cant help myself. i think i might go with black Polycarbonate to save on some weight and i can get a sheet for like $20. but now i have yet again re-worked the claw design. i think for the last time. i am just waiting on the exact measurements so i can start a full render in 3d. but here is a simple pic. this one is my favorite.

With a Red/Orange blade i think it will look wicked.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-14-2015, 04:41 PM
How do you plan on securing these things?

Grimlock84
08-14-2015, 04:51 PM
I like the idea of using aluminum pots for "scrap" aluminum! I may have to check my cabinets to see what "materials" I have for my next build.

Thalan the Exiled
08-14-2015, 04:54 PM
I am going to have Tim flatten out the space above and below each hole .25" wide so they sit flat on the hilt. And I am going to have holes drilled and tapped for some 4-40 screws. I will drill holes in the claws to allow the screws to be recessed in and the screws will be short enough that they don't protrude in and interfear with the blade. Another reason why I want the exact measurments for the spaces above and below the vents on that blade holder. Also why I am going to do a test build using wood to make the claws. Either way the flat part and the mount holes will be done by Tim. I guess if I have him center the holes I can always adjust the location on the claw to match since I will be making a test piece first. But I have to wait till the parts come back in stock, the BH,pommel,and choke are all out of stock right now.