PDA

View Full Version : RC port question

Noyl Wendor
08-11-2015, 07:17 PM
Here's a question on RC ports.
Has anyone on the forums here every had an issue with an RC port that was faulty? Did it make their saber make a funny noise and reboot?
Odd thing for me. Just hooked up a nano 2. 3.7 18650 battery, and a recharge port. Now this nano does the same thing my PC 3.5 was doing a while back (fixed that btw :D).
So I've narrowed it down to the recharge port. Why? I pulled it out of my bin, it was the one used on my PC 3.5 that kept freaking out and rebooting. I would say a corrupted file, but this is a whole different font and board.
Granted the battery has sat in the bin for some time. Though not hooked up to anything, I don't think I can remember what the shelf life on an 18650 is.
My last commonality would be my computer. I really don't want to go that direction.....

Forgetful Jedi Knight
08-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Recharge ports can go bad, especially if they're the older (non-switch raft) model. From what you are describing, I would check and charge the battery first.

Noyl Wendor
08-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Battery checked and charged previous to hooking it up to the board. It had been in the bin for a bit. So I figured it would be a good idea to do so. I'm not sure on the RC port being switch craft or not. So I have one or two here to swap to.

Noyl Wendor
08-13-2015, 08:37 PM
So I'm not yet convinced its the RC port in this hilt. I uninstalled it, and I am getting set up to put the new one in. I retested my battery, seems okay on the meter (3.97). I'm really not sure how long that has been in the bin.
Dose anyone happen to know off the top of their head the shelf life on a 3.7 18650? I've done some reading but nothing to tell me for sure that there is a problem with a battery of this kind that has sat (not connected to anything) for more than 24 months.

Miraluka
08-13-2015, 08:41 PM
Depends on the battery model and how much charge cycles it has been through. I think on average they have a shelf life of nearly 10 years but that's shelf life (unused), not counting charge cycles.

Noyl Wendor
08-13-2015, 08:47 PM
Depends on the battery model and how much charge cycles it has been through. I think on average they have a shelf life of nearly 10 years but that's shelf life (unused), not counting charge cycles.
I would say not more than 10 charge cycles. If even that. I was in one saber for a bit until it got a refit. Kinda in a bind, need a new battery (I think) :) or a way to find out if this one is "good" or not. My meter only tells me so much :D

Jay-gon Jinn
08-14-2015, 09:11 AM
Where did you get it? Is it a protected 18650? The pcb on the cell may not have the specs to run the led's you've been trying to use and is tripping the protection circuit.

Noyl Wendor
08-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Where did you get it? Is it a protected 18650? The pcb on the cell may not have the specs to run the led's you've been trying to use and is tripping the protection circuit.

Its a tcss 18650 I got it a while back. Last I used it with a full charge. It was taken out of the hilt that way and stored disconnected. But the rc port that I have was in a previous build that the board gave me issues of the same kind. The board this rc port was on was a PC 3.5 I ended up getting a new battery and rc port for the PC. Works just fine now. I did find a couple tenergy 3.7 18650s protected with leads just in case it is the battery

Noyl Wendor
08-17-2015, 10:17 PM
So the RC port (new) works just fine. The tenergy 3.7 18650 2600mah works fine as well. It seems there is some sort of issue with how the config are set up in the SD card, or something wrong with my computer or the way I switch out sound fonts on the SD card.
Not the battery, not the RC port, not the LED, not even the board itself. The interesting thing is I am having the same issue with a PC 3.5 right now. It would shut down then reboot, even on a fully charged battery. Same as the hilt that contains the NB2.
I have noticed the one common factor seems to be the "resume" in the config files. When I set that to "0" on both boards it appears the issue is no longer. Can any one here comment on that? I could be very wrong, but it seems to me that having that set to "0" may help.