PDA

View Full Version : Which product to use to brown aluminum?

Arashi LV426
08-08-2015, 06:00 AM
Hi, I would try to use the product of Birchwood Casey Super Blue to brown the hilt.
Can you tell me if the blueing solution get the result on aluminum? Or should I use the Aluminum Black? And once you do the work, I have to use a product to protect or maintain the results for a long time?
As always, I am grateful for your support !! Thanks!

darth_chasm
08-08-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm pretty sure super blue is for steel and alloys. Aluminum black will give varying degrees of black in accordance to how much you apply and how long you let it sit before neutralizing it. Neither is going to give you a brown patina.

Make sure to wear gloves, eye protection and a dust mask. The stuff is pretty nasty.

Yes, you'll need to seal it if you do not want it to wear away.

You can see my post here (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?18230-First-Build-Lots-of-Pics) to get a view of what a light to medium application looks like. I have not sealed it yet as I want some of it to naturally wear away first.

Arashi LV426
08-08-2015, 09:47 AM
Sorry , I made a mistake in translating question: I would like to have exactly the result of the Super Blue . Can I use it on aluminum ?

darth_chasm
08-08-2015, 10:08 AM
I have not used super blue on aluminum, but the product specifies it is for hardened steel, nickel and chrome. I don't think it will work on aluminum the way you want it to.

You could look into anodizing or paint solutions that may give a similar effect.

Arashi LV426
08-08-2015, 10:15 AM
OK! Thank you, I sometimes painted aluminum. I'm curious to try to use the Aluminum Black.

darth_chasm
08-08-2015, 10:56 AM
You're welcome. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Buona Fortuna.

Rawdo
08-08-2015, 05:12 PM
I've used slate black to get a brown finish on my first built. The resulting color can vary a lot depending on how you prepare your part (cleaning and sanding). Experiment on scrap aluminum before you try it on your saber parts.

Arashi LV426
08-09-2015, 10:02 AM
Thanks for your contribution! But how did you use ? What kind of Slate did you use? And the result is that you have obtained definitive or delete ?

Rawdo
08-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Google "slate black patina" and you'll find it easily.

To get that I cleaned well with soap to remove any grease, light sanding with 200 or 400 grit paper.
Experiment with patina solution dilution and reaction time.
Be careful working with acidic solution and use protective eyewear and clothing, even diluted they will bite.!
You can see the result on my actual saber in the gallery.

Miraluka
08-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Google "slate black patina" and you'll find it easily.

To get that I cleaned well with soap to remove any grease, light sanding with 200 or 400 grit paper.
Experiment with patina solution dilution and reaction time.
Be careful working with acidic solution and use protective eyewear and clothing, even diluted they will bite.!
You can see the result on my actual saber in the gallery.

That looks brilliant. Well done.

Zahc Zi Phan
08-10-2015, 12:58 AM
Wow Chasm, that weathering was amazing!!!!!!!

darth_chasm
08-10-2015, 06:27 AM
Wow Chasm, that weathering was amazing!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Grimlock84
08-14-2015, 04:56 PM
How well does that patina hold up? It looks amazing regardless!

darth_chasm
08-14-2015, 05:06 PM
How well does that patina hold up? It looks amazing regardless!
Thanks! You'll need to seal it for it to be permanent. I haven'ttyet, but I'm sure any standard sealant would work. I'll probably end up using my metal leaf sealer when the weather cools. I have to spray outside and that stuff dries on contact with the air when it's this hot.