PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Cree blade not mixing very well.

DarthMace
07-29-2015, 02:06 PM
In my most recent lightsaber (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17815-Miraan-build-log&highlight=miraan), I have one of the RGB tri-Cree LED's that TCSS sells. I'm using a trans-white 7/8" blade, with a few feet of cellophane inside. The problem is; the colors tend to separate near the bottom of the blade. For instance, with a green/red mix for yellow, the individual colors are pretty visible. (it does get better towards the top of the blade)
Does anyone have an idea for a blade configuration that would help fix this problem?

jt_trouble
07-29-2015, 05:55 PM
Are you using a 7/8ths blade in a 1" blade holder? That may cause problems, I am no expert but could be something to look into. Are you using the 18 degree lens? Couple things to check

DarthMace
07-29-2015, 07:33 PM
Yes. I am using a small piece of 1" thin-wall blade as a adapter for the 7/8" blade. The lens is the small 18 degree one from TCSS.

I have tried the saber with a thick-wall blade with corbin film, as well as a 1" thin wall trans-white with cellophane. They all seem to have some degree of color separation.

Jay-gon Jinn
07-29-2015, 08:44 PM
Double check your lens to make sure it's properly aligned over the led's.

DarthMace
07-30-2015, 11:37 AM
Yeah, the lens is centered perfectly:

JD8a27
07-30-2015, 12:26 PM
What I think Jay-gon Jinn was saying is take the can/LED holder off of the LED, and make sure each individual LED is aligned correctly onto each of it's individual optical ports. Sometimes misalignment happens and the LEDs aren't properly sitting withing the optics.

Jay-gon Jinn
07-30-2015, 01:47 PM
What I think Jay-gon Jinn was saying is take the can/LED holder off of the LED, and make sure each individual LED is aligned correctly onto each of it's individual optical ports. Sometimes misalignment happens and the LEDs aren't properly sitting withing the optics.
This is what I meant....also, check your battery to be sure its fully charged.

DarthMace
07-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I see now what you were saying. I took out the LED module and checked the lens' orientation, and all seems well. As for the batteries; the saber runs on two 18650's, and I charged them a few days ago. I think the problem is in my blade(s), but I'm not sure what it could be....:(

Jay-gon Jinn
07-30-2015, 10:08 PM
Hmm...how much gift wrap did you use in the blades? I'm guessing the issue is the blade as well. I see you built this saber in April, has the color separation always been there, or did you just start to notice it?

Miraluka
07-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Do you have any photos illustrating the separation?

ColdVizjerei
07-31-2015, 05:53 AM
I think what DarthMace is trying to say is that it's easier to see the different LED's of the RGB tri-cree towards the bottom of the blade.

For example, say I have a purple blade that I made by mixing blue and resistor-ing the red. Looking at the bottom of the blade, if I turn the saber 360 degrees in my hand, I can see where the blue LED die is and where the red die is.
Basically as I turn the saber, the bottom of the blade does look purple, BUT maybe about 180 degrees its a more distinctive redish purple, and the other 180 degrees is distinctly more on the blueish side. This "separation of colors" is only very noticeable at the bottom of the blade; it does not happen closer to the tip of the blade.

DarthMace is asking if there's a way to fix this? Or is this just normal for a tri-cree?

Denz
07-31-2015, 05:59 AM
I have found that the frosted lens work better for color mixing. However I am not sure if TCSS has them available.

-Denzil

DarthMace
07-31-2015, 08:29 AM
Hmm...how much gift wrap did you use in the blades? I'm guessing the issue is the blade as well. I see you built this saber in April, has the color separation always been there, or did you just start to notice it?

I used 3ft of clear gift wrap, and yes, the color separation has been there since I first finished the saber. I'm doing a small overhaul on the hilt, and I hope to get most of the big issues ironed out... :\

Do you have any photos illustrating the separation?

I'll try to get a few today, but I'm not sure if the camera will be able to pick it up...because of saturation...but we'll see.

DarthMace
07-31-2015, 10:09 AM
Do you guys think it would work if I frosted the lens myself? (with fine grit sandpaper)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-31-2015, 10:13 AM
Do you guys think it would work if I frosted the lens myself? (with fine grit sandpaper)

You could try it, just make sure you rinse it off afterwards. Particles in the actual blade is bad. ;)

Miraluka
07-31-2015, 10:58 AM
I think what DarthMace is trying to say is that it's easier to see the different LED's of the RGB tri-cree towards the bottom of the blade.

For example, say I have a purple blade that I made by mixing blue and resistor-ing the red. Looking at the bottom of the blade, if I turn the saber 360 degrees in my hand, I can see where the blue LED die is and where the red die is.
Basically as I turn the saber, the bottom of the blade does look purple, BUT maybe about 180 degrees its a more distinctive redish purple, and the other 180 degrees is distinctly more on the blueish side. This "separation of colors" is only very noticeable at the bottom of the blade; it does not happen closer to the tip of the blade.

DarthMace is asking if there's a way to fix this? Or is this just normal for a tri-cree?

I don't think anyone was confused about what he was describing.

I'm kinda just wondering if it's worse than usual. In most yellow mixes I've seen, there is some visible separation towards the bottom. More-so with the amber/green mix than red/green mix, though. I haven't seen anyone use a frosted lens before. Interested to see how much it helps.

ColdVizjerei
07-31-2015, 11:05 AM
My bad, it was something I was curious about too. Sounds like there will always be a little separation towards the bottom when using a tri-cree

Jay-gon Jinn
07-31-2015, 01:49 PM
Darthmace, try adding two or three more feet of gift wrapping to your blade....I usually use between 5 and 6 feet in all of.the blades I have made and it does improve color mixing, even in the transwhite blade stock.

Thalan the Exiled
07-31-2015, 02:11 PM
I see a small amount of color seperation with my tri-reb but only in the first 1/2 inch of the blade but it isn't noticeable.I think a small amout might just be unavoidable.

DarthMace
08-01-2015, 08:11 AM
Thank you all for your great advice! I'm going to go out and get some more film today, and try sanding the lens a bit. I'll keep yall updated as to the results.

Jay-gon Jinn
08-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Add the film before you sand the lens, I'm pretty sure that will take care of it. ;)