PDA

View Full Version : 1st saber build

knockpoint
07-27-2015, 05:06 PM
I'm building my first saber. Well, my first two sabers. I'm going to be machining them from the two halves of a CV axle that I replaced on my old car (Yes, one will be longer than the other, the short one is for my wife).
My question is about wiring. Below is the parts list for what I want to build;
What I need is a wiring diagram and what resisters to use (no buck pucks are not an option due to limited space.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

Unfortunately, since that isn't a soundboard that is sold here, most people around here don't have experience with that soundboard and that particular company isn't discussed in these parts, I don't think you are going to find much help here.

knockpoint
07-27-2015, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

Unfortunately, since that isn't a soundboard that is sold here, most people around here don't have experience with that soundboard and that particular company isn't discussed in these parts, I don't think you are going to find much help here.

I've heard a couple of rumors about there being bad blood about Ultra Sabers, what is the story? I haven't found anything to hang them with. If they aren't reputable then I won't buy from them. Otherwise, the Obsidian sound board (at least on paper) has the most features for the price and comes with the most sound fonts. I really am just asking because I don't know anything, I'm new to this. I don't mean to stir anything up. I just want the best saber possible, price comes second. If they are not a good company please guide me in what to get for a sound board with similar features I haven't bought anything yet. I would also point out that all of the other components are from here.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-27-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm not going to get into all of "the story". I'll just say that they have a less than stellar reputation and leave it at that. Any of the Plecter Labs that we sell are at least as good. Obviously, the more features you want, the more expensive the sound cards can be. Should you wish to get additional (or different) sound fonts, they can be purchased at Saberfont.com.

Also, as you look through the soundcards that ARE sold here, the manuals are in PDF format right on their respective pages. ;)

Ty_Bomber
07-27-2015, 07:35 PM
I won't go into too many details, but the obsidian is a joke. It has half the features of a board like the prizm, and it is prone to overheating.

Also, if you want free fonts, the Prizm comes with 3 and I can think of another three fonts offered by great smiths for you to enjoy. You still have options. :)

knockpoint
07-27-2015, 07:50 PM
I won't go into too many details, but the obsidian is a joke. It has half the features of a board like the prizm, and it is prone to overheating.

Also, if you want free fonts, the Prizm comes with 3 and I can think of another three fonts offered by great smiths for you to enjoy. You still have options. :)

Well, It has been a long while (a few years) since I did my initial research and it does look like the new versions of the sound boards do have a lot more features. I am getting frustrated with the "I won't go into details" line, though. I do appreciate that you mentioned that it overheats which makes sense because of the coating they put on it. I'm not looking to steel sound fonts but if some were offered with the sound board it would be a selling point and free doesn't hurt my feelings (so long as they're not stolen). I am now looking at petit crouton vs. prism. Thoughts?

Ty_Bomber
07-27-2015, 08:04 PM
I like the Prizm for its lower cost, easier wiring, and native color mixing. It also runs of a single battery, so you save space in your hilt and you can opt for removable batteries- a great feature if you plan on trooping with your saber and taking it to cons.

The PC 3.5 is essentially the same board, but uses a constant current and audio driver, so you get a mildly louder/brighter setup with two batteries.

Ty_Bomber
07-27-2015, 08:09 PM
I do understand the frustration, but we don't discuss it here out of respect for Tim and his store. It tends to derail threads pretty quickly, and distracts from what we want to focus on, which is helping you build your own saber with MHS parts. Sorry to keep using the same line, but your only missing pointless drama, trust me. :/

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-27-2015, 08:25 PM
I am getting frustrated with the "I won't go into details" line, though.

I'm sorry, but that is the way it is with them and one or two other "saber builders". Besides, the story reads like War and Peace, in almost all of the cases, as the stories are very similar. Besides, if the conversation started to get out of hand, I would have to do the "mod thing", and I'd rather do the "teaching thing" personally. You also can't use PM's yet, so... that is that.

I'm sure if you were creative and looked hard enough on the Internet, you'd stumble across the information you seek. A popular social network site would be a good place to start. ;)

Now, to answer your other question, Ty_Bomber basically laid it out. The Prizm is essentially a variant that was created based on the PC (which has been around for a lot longer. It comes down to what you find important to you. Sound vs space vs ease of wiring vs. cost, etc. There are little trade offs here and there.