PDA

View Full Version : I'm a n00b and need help with one question

Tygongin
07-22-2015, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm putting my wish list for basic LED barrel saber (my first build) together have wavering I need for the MHS but the resistor is my biggest concern and how many volts I should run for the rebel star (red/orange). I know it's a 700mA 2.3v, so does that mean I need a minimum of 2.3v or is that how many Vf going to lose? I figured from the threads and videos on YouTube that it meant I was going to lose 2.3Vf when I did my math.

I figured I at 6v for 700mA I would need a 5.6 ohms and 3watt resistor for the rebel star (red/orange), Is that correct? If so I could not find a resistor on TCSS website, is there an other one they have that I can use or would it be easier to just use the 700mA buck puck.

Again I'm a little n00b to this and I thank you for your time.

-Tygongin-

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-22-2015, 07:24 PM
Welcome to the Forums.

The typical forward voltage (Vf) is the voltage you need to supply to your LED. The resistor value also depends on the battery solution, and since you mentioned 6V, I am guessing that you plan on using 4AA batteries in this. You might want to consider using a single Li-Ion cell (smaller resistor needed, longer runtime).

Tygongin
07-22-2015, 07:45 PM
Thanks! I'm happy to be apart of the awesomeness!

If you could, would please give me links to the suggestions you have for the rebel star (red/orange) 700mA I have in mind. I.e. Resistor, and cell you would use?

Thanks again.
-tygongin-

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-22-2015, 08:26 PM
You can pick out what you want in the store, and I have a tutorial in the LED wiring section that covers calculating resistors. ;)

Tygongin
07-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Send me a link man! Thanks again!