PDA

View Full Version : Purple blade

imagehunter
07-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Hi guys, hoping to get some input from someone who might have experimented already. To get a purple blade, which option is best?: A red LED with a blue filter disk, or a blue LED with a red one? I don't want to do a red and blue LED together because I read they need different power requirements and with my vast knowledge of electronics, I'd have an easier time lifting an X-wing out of a swamp with my mind.

Miraluka
07-21-2015, 11:42 PM
If you're determined to do it that way, I'd imagine you'd be happier with a blue blade and red disk but I don't know of anybody using that method to get purple. If I had any color discs I would go ahead and experiment for you but I don't. Sorry.

Taki117
07-22-2015, 03:57 AM
Helping people understand the electronics of a saber is what this forum is all about. If you tell us your setup we can probably help you out so that you can get a true purple. (I would go blue with red filter because with a blue filter you are going to lose some brightness)

True the LEDs do need different power requirements, but that just means two different resistors (One for each LED) with the LEDs wired in parallel. If you have a Sound Board you can use a color extender to provide proper color mixing.

Silver Serpent
07-22-2015, 05:35 AM
If you're determined to use filters, then you need a White LED with red and blue filters (or a purple filter).

The red LEDs only put out red wavelengths of light. If you put a blue filter on red light, you get very little light at all. Same goes for the reverse.

Wiring a Red and Blue multidie LED in parallel is the best option for purple. Read around on the forums, you'll find some diagrams. We'll be glad to help out with any details.

Strydur
07-22-2015, 07:39 AM
Just a quick heads up but we are doing a trial run of trans purple tubes that should be here next week.

jt_trouble
07-22-2015, 12:18 PM
I used a tricree ep2 with one red and one blue. Ran in parallel with proper resistors. It's still currently in the WIP stage, just need to get it all wired to my NB2. I read elsewhere that if you want to adjust the color, you can experiment with resistors with different Ohm values to change the shades.

Good luck!

imagehunter
07-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the input guys, looks like I need to do a re-think on my blade design. Strydur, I'll be waiting too see how your trials turn out.

RAlem
08-07-2015, 10:02 AM
Proper color mixing requires which sound card? I was looking for a Mace Windu purple. I was looking at Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2. Is this card enough to do proper color mixing? I tried the white LED with filters and that doesn't look good. So the Tri-Cree for the best purple is blue, red and white, correct?

Cire Yeldarb
08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Proper color mixing requires which sound card? I was looking for a Mace Windu purple. I was looking at Nano Biscotte Sound Module V2. Is this card enough to do proper color mixing? I tried the white LED with filters and that doesn't look good. So the Tri-Cree for the best purple is blue, red and white, correct?

Proper card for easy color mixing is either the Prizm, Petit Crouton, or Crystal Focus. You can color mix with the Nano by varying resistors, but the others you can control with Rice straight off the board or with the color extender.

I think most people use a combination of RoyalBlue and Red when trying to mix a good purple, versus the regular blue

Ty_Bomber
08-07-2015, 11:12 AM
You don't want to use white in your mix for purple. It will wash out both leds, making a pastel purple.

Miraluka
08-07-2015, 09:35 PM
You don't want to use white in your mix for purple. It will wash out both leds, making a pastel purple.

I'm guessing the white was FoC but if I was gonna use 3 dice for a purple I'd probably play around with a rB/B/dR But that's just me. Mace's saber is a little too pink for me, I'd want some extra blue to play with.

But yes, beware of color mixing with white. It is very dominant.

DaveWalker
10-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Please excuse my noob-ness but why not use a 5w purple led? I'm making a stunt saber for my niece's wedding and I just found out her favorite color is purple.... First time ive made anything fancier than a wooden broom handle sticking out of some sink pipe. Yikes!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-01-2015, 03:57 PM
Please excuse my noob-ness but why not use a 5w purple led? I'm making a stunt saber for my niece's wedding and I just found out her favorite color is purple.... First time ive made anything fancier than a wooden broom handle sticking out of some sink pipe. Yikes!

The best way to make a purple in a shade that you'll like is to mix Royal Blue and Red together.

DaveWalker
10-01-2015, 04:52 PM
Yessir, I read that earlier in the post. However, I'm still curious as to why that works better. My guess would be that the 410-420 nm is too close to UV light to be very bright? Thanks for the reply btw.

Miraluka
10-01-2015, 11:28 PM
Having separate blue and red dice allows you to create the shade of purple you want. If you use a single purple LED you're stuck with whatever shade it is.

Cire Yeldarb
10-02-2015, 12:36 PM
I just wanted to echo what FJK and Miraluka said. Purple is an especially preferential color. What one person thinks is an ideal shade of purple may be the worst purple in the world to someone else. Hence it is best to customize the shade of purple to fit the users' preferences rather than have them be stuck with something that may not be their "ideal" shade of purple.