PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Cree Continuity

o8jedi
07-06-2015, 06:06 PM
I'm trying to wire a trip-cree set, but as I'm testing continuity, I'm getting nothing. As this is my first soldering job, I'm starting to worry that I've made a mistake. Did I burn out the LEDs? Is my technique wrong? (The joints feel secure). Anyway, here's a pic so you guys can help me diagnose what's wrong.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f195/o8jedi/IMG_1149.jpg

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-06-2015, 06:16 PM
The wires themselves look in rough shape. Also, the brown on the star tells me you are applying way too much heat for way too long. You might have done damage to one or more LEDs. You could maybe try a single 1.5V battery and tough the wires to each end and see if the LED lights up, even a little.

o8jedi
07-06-2015, 06:24 PM
I tested each contact with my multimeter. Nothing.

Well, it sucks that I learned how not to solder that way, but damn...

Strydur
07-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Grab a 3v heck even 3.7v and hook it directly to each LED for a split second (do not look directly into the light) I find it hard to believe you messed up all 3.

o8jedi
07-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Unbelievably, they all still work after hooking them up to a power supply. Onwards!

Bark
07-07-2015, 05:33 AM
OP: might need to invest in a better soldering iron with a higher wattage/higher temperature. Also if a complete newbie, practice soldering wire-to-wire before wire-to-boards if possible to get the hand of it. The goal is to minimize both the amount of time applying the heat and the total area where the heat is applied.

Zahc Zi Phan
07-07-2015, 06:51 PM
Looks crispy, and a little bit too much solder. You don't need a ton to get the job done. I would maybe recommend a hotter soldering iron so you don't have to hold the iron on the star as long.

RobotCamel
07-08-2015, 10:26 AM
I'm going to be soldering a tri-cree myself very soon. I see a few comments here that say this was too hot, and some say it should be hotter. I am wondering, what actual temperature should the soldering iron be to solder a tri-cree? I have a soldering iron where I can set a specific temperature. Thanks.

Silver Serpent
07-08-2015, 11:13 AM
I soldered my last Tri-Rebel at around 600F without issue. Tri-Crees should work similar.

LEDEngins I turn it up to 650F.

RobotCamel
07-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Thanks!

Bark
07-08-2015, 12:37 PM
It wasn't too hot. The iron was touching the board for too long a time. It was touching for too long a time because the iron wasn't hot enough to melt the solder quickly.

The goal is to ZAP the solder quickly. Higher wattage, temperature control, electrostatic discharge protection are signs of a quality iron. An iron with low wattage, no temperature control, no ESD protection are signs of an inferior iron. Quality irons zap the solder quickly. Inferior irons do not.

Silver Serpent
07-08-2015, 01:01 PM
Yep, it's a little counterintuitive at first. To avoid burning parts, you need a HOTTER iron.

o8jedi
07-08-2015, 01:09 PM
I can assure you the iron I used has ESD protection. I'm just a boob when it comes to soldering.

Rawdo
07-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Before you start working on an expensive soundboard, practice on a old motherboard.

obi2kenobi14
07-09-2015, 05:39 AM
would the tri rebel and tri cree led's be any different in terms of how much voltage they need?

Bark
07-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Each color is different as far as what voltage "it needs." However for everything sold here, a 3.7V lithium ion battery will power any individual LED die regardless of manufacturer, Rebel or Cree. You just need to resistor them as needed and wire the LEDs in parallel. This will cut into the battery's run-time though.

You can start wiring LEDs in series when you bump up to a 7.4V battery, which will extend battery run-time but take up a lot more internal space. Again, this is regardless of manufacturer.

To bottom line it, you need to look at the LED dies individually and what its forward voltage is. That forward voltage needs to be LESS than the battery's voltage. If you want to extend battery run-time by wiring LEDs in series, you need to add all of the forward voltages of the LEDs in question; that sum total needs to be LESS than the battery's voltage. Use Ohm's Law (http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?17109-Tutorial-FJK-s-quot-Down-and-Dirty-quot-guide-to-Ohm-s-Law) to calculate the resistor(s) needed.

obi2kenobi14
07-16-2015, 08:58 AM
thank you.