PDA

View Full Version : Staff Build Preferences. 2 Soundboards or 1?

Scarecrow
07-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Just curious if anyone has had issues running two soundboards in a staff? Such as the sounds don't synch or both clash sensors go off instead of just one. There are obvious advantages to running 2 boards like the fact that you can split it into two but I'm more concerned with the performance of the full staff. In a single board setup having both blades react for blaster fx or lockup might look off. Then again, it may be easier to run one set of switches. I don't know. I'm still on my first build and it's just a single saber so I thought I'd seek some wisdom while I'm waiting on some parts and thinking about the next one. Thanks everybody!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-02-2015, 01:38 PM
Most tend to use 2 soundboards and 2 separate sets of switches. Of course, tuning the sound cards would be a huge key to getting it to look and act right.

hapki
07-02-2015, 08:19 PM
I'm planning a saber staff build, too. And I've been thinking about the same questions. I think two sound cards is ideal. But I'm using one Crystal Focus. I'll be interested in how yours turns t if you use two cards. Good luck.

Scarecrow
07-02-2015, 09:53 PM
Thank you. I know your build. PVC with the audio amp and quick change battery compartment. Very cool. I've got a Maul staff coming up and could easily do what we were talking about with the single CF setup or two. I just don't know how well two act together. The clash sensor is my big question. They're both in the same staff so how well could they differentiate between one end or the other? Sound is a bit of a concern too. I just didn't know if anybody ever ended up regretting using two boards. I know tuning plays a huge part but sensors have limitations. I'll probably run two boards with remote switches in the center. I'll definitely let you know how its going hapki.

Don Se Wion
07-03-2015, 12:56 AM
If the staff is not going to be splittable in two separate sabers, perhaps it might be possible to have a single switch for the two CF boards.

If the battery pack is a single one, then the two boards would share the same negative wire.
In this case I think it should be possible to wire the same activation switch to both cards.
This way the two boards could be ignited together.

The auxiliary buttons might remain separate to maintain the ability to trigger blaster fx or lockup on the two blades separately.

However, I would definitely look for a confirmation from Erv before trying this setup.

Scarecrow
07-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the input. Since no one has a horror story about using two boards, I'll probably use two. I planned on putting two sets of switches on each saber. One set near the emitter for single blade use and another set near the pommel to use when it's a full staff. This way it's not awkward to trigger lockup, etc. I also like the thought of activating the blades with one hand in the center of the staff like the movie. Me and my girlfriend are going to be taking lessons and I want our sabers to react as realistically as possible.