PDA

View Full Version : Need Help on First Lightsaber

ElectricPinnaple
06-20-2015, 12:54 PM
I am finally ready to make my first lightsaber, and I want some people with experience to look over my parts list before I order. So my plan is to have the main body of my lightsaber be MHS parts and then I am going to make the back couple inches of the lightsaber on my own along with the blade holder, (ordering MHS parts if I end up not being able to make that work). So aside from the fact that there are parts missing to make a complete lightsaber body, do I have everything that I need to make a lightsaber?

-Acrylic Chassis Disk for NB/18500 1.15 ID parts
-Luxeon Rebel Star
-Star thermal tape pad
-Collimator Lense 8.7 deg viewing angle
-Luxeon Rebel Lense Holder
-.5ohm 3w resistor
-Premium 28mm Speaker
-TrustFire Protected 3.7V 2400Ah 18650 Lithium Battery
-Charger for the Trust Fire
-1/16, 1/8/, and 3/18 Heatshrink
-MHS ribbed extension
-A retention Screw (8/32)
-Nano Biscoti V2
-A Momentary Switch (no idea which one to get)
-MHS Extension Bland Style 1
-(I also don't know what heatsink to get)
-(I have hoby wire, but do I have to use a certain kind, same goes for the solder)

Thank you for reading and any help you could give would be greatly appereciated.

Taki117
06-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Looks good, a sfar as which switch to get, as long as it's momentary it really doesn't matter. Pick whichever one looks best to you.

ElectricPinnaple
06-20-2015, 05:28 PM
If I want to do Flicker on Contact do I need to get a Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star? If so is wiring it up the same as the single LED, and if not is there a tutorial so I can see if it would be reasonable for me? Thank you for helping me out.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-20-2015, 05:30 PM
If I want to do Flicker on Contact do I need to get a Luxeon Tri-Rebel Star? If so is wiring it up the same as the single LED, and if not is there a tutorial so I can see if it would be reasonable for me? Thank you for helping me out.

You mean Flash on Clash, and yes, the wiring diagrams are in the manual. ;)

ElectricPinnaple
06-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Yes, that is what I meant, opps. Thank you I will take a look.

ElectricPinnaple
06-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Ok, so if I want FoC I would need to get a Lexion Tri-Rebel LED, and it's respective lense instead, along with a Power Xtender 2.0? Would the MHS Heat Sink V3 work with this LED setup? And does the resistor I have currently still work with the new LED? Does the FoC LED need a resistor, or is it ok? Last, if you don't mind, if I decide that I dislike changing my battery in and out for a fresh one, could I add in a recharge port later on if I wanted? Thank you for helping me make a great lightsaber!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Ok, so if I want FoC I would need to get a Lexion Tri-Rebel LED, and it's respective lense instead, along with a Power Xtender 2.0? Would the MHS Heat Sink V3 work with this LED setup? And does the resistor I have currently still work with the new LED? Does the FoC LED need a resistor, or is it ok? Last, if you don't mind, if I decide that I dislike changing my battery in and out for a fresh one, could I add in a recharge port later on if I wanted? Thank you for helping me make a great lightsaber!

You could use a Tri-Cree as well. Yes. I don't know what resistors you have. The FoC would need a resistor as well. It would be easier for you to put the recharge port in the beginning, but you can add it later - it'll be more work though.

ElectricPinnaple
06-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Is there a big difference between the Tri-Rebel and the Cree? I was planing on using a .5 ohm 3 watt resistor for the LED. Would the same one work for the FoC LED as well? Thank you for the help.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Is there a big difference between the Tri-Rebel and the Cree? I was planing on using a .5 ohm 3 watt resistor for the LED. Would the same one work for the FoC LED as well? Thank you for the help.

Is there a big difference? not really, though the Crees are a bit better. I suggest you check out my tutorial on calculating resistor values - it's in the LED wiring section. ;)

ElectricPinnaple
06-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Alright, thank you very much!