PDA

View Full Version : Geo-Crystal Saber

crazygamerm2
06-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum but not to making custom sabers/swords. In the past i've done most of my work from wood, ceramic sculpture, and misc metal parts.( ill post some pics later when i get home) After finding this website and then the shop i'm extremely excited to start a "real" saber build.

I have some ideas already drawn up and with the help of Tim I have a finalized design.

The blue one is the rough design i made and the other is Tim's design(his is ALOT better)

The idea is to have the main focus of the saber be the crystal chamber.i have access to a literal mountain of pc and server parts. I don't have a sketch of the entire blade yet but i plan on making it more geometric shaped using lots of pc parts as all the fine details and accent pieces.
Ill get this updated with some rough sketches and renderings as well as past work.

crazygamerm2
07-26-2015, 07:23 AM
Alright it's been a little while but work and life got in the way of my saber building plans. I just finished the inards of my crystal chamber and I'm very pleased on the look as well as the custom chamber Tim made me. The saber is going to use alot of parts from deconstructed pcs and harddrives. The chamber is made out of HD and CD drive parts. Any input or suggestions are appreciated.
looking back I almost wish I had asked Tim to make the windows bigger on the chamber to see the crystal more. But this could be a change down the road

Miraluka
07-26-2015, 08:07 PM
Bigger windows would have been cool but it's still really nice. Love the spirals.

I bet that windowed piece is gonna look boss on the hilt, too. Looking forward to seeing the whole hilt.

Zacharyah
07-27-2015, 05:45 AM
That crystal really lights up well, too. Nice balance between being too transparent to diffuse the light and too milky to light up brightly

Cire Yeldarb
07-27-2015, 10:08 AM
I really like the swirls on those pipes! Gives it a very awesome look to the whole thing!

I am also very much looking forward to seeing the completed saber!

crazygamerm2
08-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Ok another big update.
So I finally got all the parts ready and assembled as I wanted them. The hilt was the perfect size to get all my electronics in but not give any extra wiggle room so it all fits very snug. After trying different configurations I eventually broke down and bought the larger windowed Crystal Chamber. Im very glad I did, as most of the work I put into this saber was on the Crystal and its holder. During assembly one of the LEDs for the crystal broke so I refitted it with a strong red LED instead of the 2 (Red and Yellow) that I was using. I may change this back out again if I can find the right LEDs. I bought every red LED that my local radio-shack had. =P
The kill switch/recharge port activates the crystal LED when removed, all other electronics are wired to the main switch

Extra greeblies and flourishes will be added as time goes on so I will update whenever I revise the look. I first plan to add black inlays to the grooves on the hilt and then possibly electroplate the choke and adapter with copper.
Overall i'm VERY happy with the feel and look of the saber.
Let me know what you guys think!

Miraluka
08-11-2015, 11:27 PM
I like that we can get a better view of the crystal now but it's unfortunate that you're not using that piece you had before. Loved the shape of it.

You might find some more satisfying red LEDs online than you'll find at RadioShack. I can't be certain but luckily, 5mm LEDs are cheap so buying a handful of different ones won't break the bank. =]

crazygamerm2
08-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Ya I was bummed that the custom chamber didn't look as good on my saber design as I had wanted. Also because of the size it felt very awkward trying to hold the saber with it attached. I think i'll have to plan a saber around the larger diameter of the chamber, possibly making the chamber directly below the main LED or at the pommel end

As I get more random pc parts from work I gets lots of saber ideas so we shall see where it goes.

I do want to replace the red LED with something closer to my original color. I very much liked how the orange color came out. The red just seems a little too pinkish for me.

Miraluka
08-12-2015, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I love me some orange. I'd have to say it's my favorite color for sabers. :D

I believe what you're saying about that CC being awkward with the build you have. But I also still believe it could look totally awesome with a different build and not be too awkward. Guess we'll just have to wait & see.

davil3ns1
08-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Where did you get the spiral tubing or did you make it?