PDA

View Full Version : No touching? Did I hurt my LEDs?

Thorvindr
06-14-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm in the process of repairing/upgrading (mostly just repairing) my first hilt. Please don't judge me: I bought it from Saberforge because I was stupid. I've learned my lesson (dear God, have I ever learned my lesson) and please let's move straight on to the matter at hand. I wouldn't even have mentioned SF but I know they do things a little differently than other places so I wanted to make sure anyone who responds has all the relevant details.

Many things have gone wrong, one of which is a wire on the LED module broke (right at the resistor; the arm of the resistor actually broke in half). Being curious as I am, I unscrewed the LED unit housing and took it apart to see what they had actually used to put it together (none of those things was thermal tape). In the process, I may or may not (but definitely did) have touched the actual gel-bumps of the LEDs themselves.

Should I worry? As soon as I touched it, I realized it was probably very stupid to go touching things I don't know enough about and wiped it (gently, of course) with a lens cloth. I don't know HOW hot these things get, but I know they get hot. There are four little LEDs on that board (without proper heat management, I suspect) and I just want to make sure I didn't ruin the unit before it gets used again.

I'm from a photography background and with studio flash units (some of which are LEDs), the rule is "NO TOUCHING the glass, EVER, EVER, EVER!" Those suckers get RIDICULOUSLY hot during prolonged usage and I've seen them blow due to fingerprints.

DarthFender
06-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Luckily, LEDs are a lot more resistant to touching than glass bulbs. That being said, it's not a good idea to touch them, but I think you'll be alright. If you're worried about it, you could wipe the domes with a microfiber cloth. But either way it should be ok.

Silver Serpent
06-15-2015, 04:56 AM
Yeah, they'll be fine. LEDs don't generate anywhere near the heat of halogens. They won't blow from a fingerprint, but you can wipe them off if it makes you feel better.

Thorvindr
06-15-2015, 06:33 AM
Thanks, both. I shall cease my worrying presently.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-15-2015, 04:18 PM
Be very careful wiping the domes on the those if they used rebels, they are a silicone material and can easily be knocked off the wafer sometimes takinn the actual led chip with it.