PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum but not a noob... Well maybe a little

Anakin Solo
06-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Hi guys I've been reading the forums a while and have built two sink tube sabers so far. My brother has a Luke MHS saber and I just ordered parts for my first saber with sound. Will have to wait on the actual board because the nano biscotti is out of stock. Very excited to finally be a part of the forum.

Silver Serpent
06-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Anakin Solo
06-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Thanks! Hey i have a quick question for any soldering wizards out there. So i knew i needed an upgrade from my cheap harbour freight iron before i got to work wiring up my new saber when it comes in, so i got a Benzomatic Butane powered iron from the home improvement store. Just curious how yall feel about butane vs electric irons and if the butane one is safe to use on a nano biscotte.

Silver Serpent
06-10-2015, 06:57 PM
I find the butane soldering irons a lot less suited for electrical work. It's rather difficult to control the temperature of the iron. They work pretty well for stained glass, but not delicate electronics.

Zahc Zi Phan
06-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Yeah that makes me nervous too. I got a sweet ESD safe station from Amazon for like 70 bucks. It's a lot but it will serve you well if you continue to build over time. I love it.

Anakin Solo
06-10-2015, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the advice I nwill return it tomorrow and get an esd safe electrical powered one. it will be nice to have a good one finally so i can finish adding hasbro sound to my little bros stunt saber.

Grimlock84
06-10-2015, 08:24 PM
I purchased the Hakko fx-888d at Fry's electronics for $ 69 a few weeks ago. It is esd safe and has a digital temperature control. You can also find replacement parts for it easily.

Anakin Solo
06-10-2015, 08:30 PM
cool! i was looking at a hakko at a electronics store in town.

Grimlock84
06-10-2015, 10:54 PM
I really like mine!
I'm sure there are a few others on here who have more experience with the Hakko than I do. Perhaps they will chime in.

Silver Serpent
06-11-2015, 05:56 AM
The Hakko soldering stations are a good investment. They make a quality product at a good price.

I personally use a Weller soldering station, and it's a little more expensive than the Hakko. But I've rarely heard anyone complain about either brand.