PDA

View Full Version : Sidious switch

xwingband
12-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Okies... if you read the thread I got a Sidious hilt from ryanlb.

I have it in hand now. I was able to pull it apart and there is plenty of room to pull something off.

I'm not going all out. Sound is too much altering to the hilt. My problem is the switch. That is what I'd like to ask for ideas.

Ideas... give them to me. I don't want to add a switch that would require me to drill anything on the hilt. It there anything like a magnetic reed switch that would work well?

Madcow
12-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Can you post pics X?

Perhaps a partially sunk toggle switch? Where only the tip of the toggle is exposed?

MC

Ryma Mara
12-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Check parts express they got tons of stuff, I even got my ida for a recharging setup from there.

Instead of a port just get a cable and leave it inside the hilt, pull off the pommel and plug it in.

I havent seen many pics of sidious's hilt so I dont know.

http://part***press.com/

xwingband
12-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Check parts express they got tons of stuff, I even got my ida for a recharging setup from there.

Instead of a port just get a cable and leave it inside the hilt, pull off the pommel and plug it in.

I havent seen many pics of sidious's hilt so I dont know.

http://part***press.com/

Wasn't asking about ports... thanks for missing the point. I've done that before anyway. For all I know you got the idea from reading me say I did that.

Madcow and others that didn't see it:
image (http://ryanlb.com/images/starwars/images/sidious-hilt.jpg)

Cutting into this hilt is NOT what I want. There is no obvious this is where a switch is place... that's by design, but I need some way of doing the power.

HOLY CRAP... I just thought of it right now while typing. The brass thing at the bottom is over a wooded dowel driven into the hilt. I can take out the dowel and use it to hide a slide switch (I got that thinking of what you've done Madcow). It will appear intact but the brass part is the switch.

SCHWEET! I think I even have a slide that'll work too. :D x 100

Ryma Mara
12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
I was saying I got an idea for a port from them not telling you...what ever anyway I think you missed my point. I was just telling you that you might get an idea from that link I put up.

But I went back and looked at the pics and I got to thinking. What about that copper brass looking thing on the bottem side of the hilt. couldent you find a button switch or something that resembles it and put it in that place instead.

It would still have the "look" or I dont know just an idea.

xwingband
12-20-2006, 03:32 PM
I read your post... didn't understand it. I don't think you read mine though, at least fully. I already said exactly that.

I actually already carved the spot out for the switch. It works well.

ryanlb
12-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Sounds cool. Glad it's going to work out for you, makes me kinda wish I hadn't been so lazy, but my collecting focus has kinda moved away from sabers.

Ryma Mara
12-20-2006, 03:59 PM
I got to thinking, with the replicas that dont have anything, well they say its got a couple leds on them for accents, well I was thinking theres got to be a way to open it up to change the batteries.

maybe they had the hole for the blade machined out.

I was thinking maybe I could have that done to a replica pice but I would still want sound and that would be tough without doing to many alterations.

xwingband
12-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Yup, I got the switch in there. I'm going to need to wait a while so I can get a Red LED and heatsink. Plus I need to grab some 3/4" PolyC blades... but that's not all that tough.

I'm also glad with a Red LED I can make use of some of the li-ions I have. :D In the meantime I got a Red acrylic blade and it rocks.

Ryma Mara
12-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Them acrylic blades arnt very duelable?

But iam sure a light going thru it looks fricking sweet

xwingband
12-20-2006, 05:49 PM
Nope, not duelable at all. They'd shatter if you really went at it. They can take some tapping, but the finish is so nice I wouldn't want to.

Acrylic blades are solely for looking purdy in daylight and purdy they do look.

Ryma Mara
12-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Well do you have pics of said purdy acrilic blades lit up?

xwingband
12-21-2006, 07:53 AM
They don't actually light up so much as they catch the light really well.

Here's the stock selling photo at least:
http://www.randomsabers.com/images/blades_v1.jpg

Ryma Mara
12-21-2006, 12:25 PM
would be intresting.

987654321a
12-21-2006, 12:34 PM
i saw this saber at FXsabers.com, post up pics! me wants to see's it!

xwingband
12-21-2006, 12:39 PM
Ryanlb (who I bought it from) already did.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1088

It hasn't changed outwardly so those are still accurate. I have the switch mounted under the brass part. Now that Tim has the new heatsink this should be an easy job once I get the order in.

987654321a
12-21-2006, 12:42 PM
i know that i even posted there, but i wanted you to show pics since you have that acrylic blade in it.

Lord Maul
12-21-2006, 12:45 PM
what brass part? the emitter or the little knob at the bottom or something i overlooked :D

xwingband
12-21-2006, 12:50 PM
Ohh... I forgot my camera cord at school so I'm waiting until I can offload a bunch of pics.

I have three to take pics of. I'll soon have a fourth finished which I'll film and a fifth that will have enough of the hilt to show. All in good time. :)

Maul, I placed a slide under the brass knob at the bottom. I like it that way. It's one of the reasons I'm not going to bother trying sound. I don't want to change the looks at all.

Lord Maul
12-21-2006, 12:55 PM
ohhhh, now i got it. that baby will look sweet when it is finnished 8)