PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating question with knurling

Darthbean
05-30-2015, 04:45 PM
I read somewhere in the store (I think in the knurling description) that they won't guarantee knurling over powder coat won't chip the finish. I would expect that but if I want a part knurled and ordering all the parts for this build at once, wouldn't they just powder coat it after knurling? Or was this just stated for anyone who might want bright knurling through powder coat so it pops? (this was my assumption)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-30-2015, 04:50 PM
Yes, Powder Coating is normally done after knurling. I don't know of many who have done knurling over powder coating. I personally have done a larger diamond pattern against powder coating, but even then powder coating was done "last".

Darthbean
05-30-2015, 05:02 PM
Thanks, after reading that in the service description I didn't know exactly how to take it. I initially wasn't going to have any PC done but the more I look at it the more interested I am. I wanted a natural aluminum finish and planned on weathering it and then having it clear coated to protect the weathering. Some of the PC finishes look pretty darn sweet though and it would save trying to get the clear coat done later. As far as I know, there's no way to weather a PC finish other than just wearing through it in areas and I wouldn't want to do that I don't think.

Is the powder coat service going to be available again when they re-open on the 8th?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Probably not. It will be posted when it will be available again, and what options will be available. A Powder Coated knurled grip is nice, that's how the Corran Horn sabers were done.

Darthbean
05-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Okay, well I can get a fairly inexpensive powder coat setup I guess if they don't offer it anymore at the CSS. Do they still offer the knurling?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-30-2015, 05:57 PM
Okay, well I can get a fairly inexpensive powder coat setup I guess if they don't offer it anymore at the CSS. Do they still offer the knurling?

The store will still offer both options, it may just take a little while longer for the Powder Coating to be available.

Darthbean
05-30-2015, 06:04 PM
Oh okay, I thought maybe it was possibly a more permanent situation or something. I'm in no big hurry, several of the parts I need are out of stock anyway, lol.