PDA

View Full Version : Anakin's On/Off switch

Bobby Zero
10-30-2005, 02:08 PM
I've converted a few Anakin lightsabers already, and I have taken the on/off switch apart the same way your tutorial pictures show. However, when I put them back together, they switches always work very poorly afterward. They will turn on fine, but sometimes don't turn off, or flicker (the jumper making only partial contact), or in some weird cases, they would turn themselves back on!

I had an Anakin MR saber that I had converted to a green LED that was sitting on a display rack in my bedroom and turned itself on at 4am. It woke my wife up, and she started freaking out because she thought someone was in the house with us. I had to get rid of that lightsaber because she swore it was haunted. (That's one Halloween story I'll probably never forget.) [:D]

Anyway, I have started to cut the wires, rather than taking the switch apart, because I'm sick of the swtiches. Does anyone else have a better way of putting these things back together without the "haunting" effect?

Strydur
10-30-2005, 05:54 PM
I am not sure what you mean by taking the switch apart. All i did was unscrew the switch assembly, I didnt take the switch apart.

Tim

tetmatek
10-30-2005, 07:55 PM
switches seem to be the weak link on all the broken MR sabers i have aquired. i am experimenting with micro pressure switches and am currently looking for a heat activted switch. proper activation temp is the hurdle so it wil work when you want and not when you don't. The MR switches are just weak. they seem like circuit board dip switches that are not meant to be switched on and off regularly. so just cut the wires and pitch them. Your local electronics store should be able to provide you with a more heavy duty switch in relativly the same size.[8D]

Bobby Zero
10-31-2005, 07:08 PM
Unscrewing the switch assembly was all I meant by "taking the switch apart." Once I get the assembly screwed back together, it's always been funkified. I blame those silly sittle copper things that slide back and forth and act like jumpers.

j25mackay
11-27-2005, 04:19 PM
I am curious as to how you followed the directions in the Anakin conversion tutorial. I can see the pictures, but I don't quite understand the first few. How do I remove the large brass-colored cap on the bottom of the blade, and how do I remove the gold-colored plastic from the top of the switch-box? Are they just pried off with a screwdriver?
BTW: I have the 05 Anakin model

Strydur
11-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I know..I will finish the tutorial soon hopefully..It has been really busy around here lately.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

j25mackay
11-27-2005, 04:38 PM
I didn't mean to rush you. I understand that life can get full sometimes. I would, however, appreciate a quick post with brief descriptions of how to remove the larger brass cap on the underside of the hilt and how to remove the gold plastic over the switch-box.

Thanks

The Cat
01-16-2006, 10:11 PM
Hi,
sorry if I'm not in exactly the right forums but...

I want to convert a MR FX Anakin EP2 EL blade to a Luxeon type LED Blade, and I'm stuck at the disassembly stage.

I removed the lower half of the hilt and the black PVC coupler and the 2 big thumb screw above the power switch, plus the screw holding the top chrome ring near the emitter. The Chrome ring is just barely moving on one side but seems to be held on the side of the power switch. The blade and battery pack assembly is moving up and down very slightly and turning just a bit. This is where I'm stuck. I popped off the slider of power switch, but there are no screws to remove the switch assembly,only the rivet-looking tapered-stud at the bottom part of the power switch.

Anybody know how I can remove that stud (or if there is another way) to remove the power switch assembly?
Anything else I should do in order to be able to remove the blade/electronic assembly? Do I jhust need to work harder to remove the chrome ring or is it really held somehow under the power switch cover? (This is an MR FX Anakin AOTC EL blade lightsaber)

As I'm sure you have guessed, I'd like to avoid damaging the exterior of the hilt as much as possible and keep it as intact as possible, but that power switch assembly seems to be held pretty tight. I may end up having to damage/destroy the other cover of the switch... but hopefully, somebody can tell me at least if that's the right way to go, so I don't damage/destroy it for nothing.

Thanks
May the Force be with me...

Strydur
01-17-2006, 09:19 AM
J25...

You need to carefully pry them off. This can be tricky to do without damaging the outer chrome piece. If you can, find something that you can slip between the chrome and cap and then use to pull the cap off instead of prying.

Tim
The Custom Saber Shop

Derthh_Mawlz
03-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if any of Tim's LED holders (MR Vader, MHS LED holder or LED Graflex adapter (LEDGraflex)" work with the Anakin Episode II MR lightsaber (the one with the EL film blade, not the latest one).

xwingband
03-29-2006, 10:30 AM
No, the AOTC Anakin is really oversized.

<center>Read the FAQ (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=552) or x-wing won't be happy. :(
Before posting did you check the Thread Index (http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=577)?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/reelbigporter/bannerxwing.gif</center>

Derthh_Mawlz
03-29-2006, 01:31 PM
It's 35mm ID, as opposed to my standard Lowes sink tubes which are 37mm ID. The leftover pieces from my Vader/Anakin conversions seem to fit well, indicating that its very close to the same opening. I know that Tim's tolerances are very low (a good thing, I don't even need the blade screw in my Vader conversion!) so I think I will give it a try.

NooB1Kenobi
04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Ok I was wondering if anyone has ever screwed up the on/off switch when taking it apart to convert.. If you take the black switch piece off to where the contacts are I bent the hell out of those thin pieces when I was pulling the switch out.. How I dunno, but anyone have any ideas how to replace them and what to use?
I'd post pictures but my camera is getting worked on cause the focus is messed up on it..
Any info would be greatly appreciated..

Female Twi'leks are so Hot! I want one. =0)~