PDA

View Full Version : Considering resistor options

artoo
05-25-2015, 09:10 PM
I'm doing a build with the NB and a GGW Tri-cree.

The greens drop 3.58v which leaves only 0.12v across the resistor. I have a few options for current control that I'd like to bounce off people's heads.

1: Use a 0.12 ohm resistor on each green. 0.12 resistors are uncommon, but I see some on ebay. This also leaves me drawing 2A continuous from a single cell which seems high to me. I'll end up pulling 3A+ when FoC triggers and run time wont be very long.
2: Run without resistors at all and use the drive feature of the NB to regulate the current. That solves the need for odd resistors but leaves me still pulling a lot of current from one cell.
3: Use a 0.47 ohm resistor on each green. That'll drop current to 250ma (500ma combined). Everything will work, but I worry it reduces current TOO much and I'll end up with dim LEDs.
4: Tie two 0.47s in parallel for each LED. I think that would work well, but feels like a hack and will add clutter in the hilt.

My current plan is to start with option 3 and move to option 4 if there are brightness issues.

Thoughts? Am I over-concerned by the current issues? Are there other options I'm missing?