PDA

View Full Version : Boot sound but no light or sound with newly installed sound font

JI7
05-24-2015, 12:11 PM
I've just tested my first build saber and it boots and sound comes on but I am getting constant swinging sounds. From other posts I've read, am I right to assume this is a low battery issue? Now for my primary querry. I purchased two sound fonts on saberfont.com, 'Unnatural' and 'Necrovolt'. I watched the 'How To' video on the home page of saberfont.com which says it is for CF, PC and NB in the title. I've done everything as instructed. The problem is that I am getting the boot sound I should get, the momentary switch light comes on, but when I press the switch I get nothing, not even the LEDs illuminate. I swapped it back to the original 'Light' and 'Dark' meant and tested it and got sound with, as I mentioned previously, constant swinging sounds (again, presumably due to a low battery). Any ideas why these new sound fonts aren't working beyond the boot sound and why the LED isn't coming on when using those sound fonts? Is it a matter of simple incompatibility with the NBv2? Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

DarthMace
05-24-2015, 01:39 PM
It is probably a problem with the folder names or folder path. Could you post a list, showing the folder path and names?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-24-2015, 02:08 PM
Did you make sure you copied the config files over for each bank you replaced? That and fully charge your battery. ;)

JI7
05-24-2015, 05:12 PM
It is probably a problem with the folder names or folder path. Could you post a list, showing the folder path and names?

Well, I went ahead and recharged my battery, then changed the folder names to 'bank1' and 'bank2' for each of the sound fonts on the card. I also went ahead and dropped the volume down from 4 to 3, having read in another thread that this had resolved some issue for someone else. I will try it at volume 4 to see if that was the fix but it could have just as well have been the battery or the folder names. Whatever it was, it now works a charm. I'm so chuffed. Thanks for the suggestion; it might just have been the thing that resolved my problem.

JI7
05-24-2015, 05:14 PM
Yes, I copied the config. files as instructed in the video on the home page. Could have been the battery or the folder names. In any case I got it going fine now. I will post some pics hopefully of my saber within the month. I hope it is well received. I couldn't have got this far without all the help here on this forum so thanks everyone.

JI7
05-24-2015, 05:33 PM
I spoke too soon. The sound fonts are both working which is an improvement but they are both now randomly swinging so perhaps I need to adjust the sensitivity but I have a sneaking suspicion that the battery didn't charge properly which could be to do with my wiring but since the saber works I think is doubtful. I suspect the charger I bought off ebay is likely to be the culprit since I did notice that the indicator light went from red to green within an hour of plugging it in which is unusual for a first charge on a 4000mAh battery. Going to purchase a new charger and see if that solves the problem. If not, then I will mess with the swing sensitivity settings.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-24-2015, 05:39 PM
4000 mAh battery??

JI7
05-24-2015, 06:32 PM
4000 mAh battery??

Yeah. Why's that a problem? TCSS sells the Panasonic 18650 3.7v Li-Ion 3400mAh battery. I just got one with a bit more life in it at 4000mAh.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-24-2015, 06:35 PM
Yeah. Why's that a problem? TCSS sells the Panasonic 18650 3.7v Li-Ion 3400mAh battery. I just got one with a bit more life in it at 4000mAh.

Have you properly restored your LED(s)?

Noyl Wendor
05-24-2015, 07:53 PM
If all else fails. Go to plector labs and download the original banks for the Nbv2. Then reset and retest all your stuff.

JI7
05-25-2015, 02:33 AM
Have you properly restored your LED(s)?

Restored LEDs? I'm not sure what you mean by that. First I've heard that phrase used, please explain.

JI7
05-25-2015, 02:36 AM
I went ahead and played with the sensitivity value 'i' in the configuration files. I dropped them from 53 to 40 and that has eliminated the constant swinging sounds but not so much that they don't activate at all. So perhaps that is sorted. I still don't trust that the battery has been fully charged so I went ahead and ordered a new battery charger.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-25-2015, 04:17 AM
Restored LEDs? I'm not sure what you mean by that. First I've heard that phrase used, please explain.

It should have said resistored LEDs. I dislike autocorrect sometimes. Do you have resistors on all of your main and FoC LEDs?

Madcow
05-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Agreed, sounds like you need a 1/2 ohm 3w resistor on your LED. that will keep it from running away with the voltage and constantly triggering sounds.

JI7
05-26-2015, 03:01 PM
I'm using the tri-rebel star LED RGB in conjunction with a 18650 3.7V battery. I've got the green and red in parallel to produce an amber blade with blue as flash on clash. The green LED is resistored using a .47ohm .5watt resistor, the red has a 2ohm 1watt resistor and the blue which is connected to the Power Xtender for FoC is resistored with a 1ohm 2watt resistor. So when you suggest a .5 ohm 3watt resistor, which LED are you suggesting this for? Oh yeah, the momentary switch is resistored using the Dynaohm.

JI7
05-26-2015, 03:04 PM
Update: I charged the batteries with the new charger so I'm pretty confident they are fully charged. I dropped sensitivity to 35 and upped volume to 4 which worked for like 20 seconds but then it started swinging. Should I try hs and ls values or does it seem unlikely that configuration settings are the answer? This is starting to annoy me now. Everything is functioning correctly, the blade colour is correct, the FoC works fine, although the blue is a bit of a lighter shade of blue than I anticipated. The kill key is functioning properly and boot sounds work when its removed. Just that darn swinging sound.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Do you have the board very close to the speaker? The vibrations could be causing you some issues. You may likely need to adjust your sensitivity settings.

JI7
05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
No, the speaker and board aren't close together. In fact, at this point I am testing the sound outside of the sabre. I've got the chassis out and sat still on a level surface. I've dropped the 'i' setting down to 35. Do you think it needs to be lower than that? Or should I start messing around with the 'ls' setting? I will see what I can do. I may have to just give it up and go back to light meant and dark meat and see if they function correctly.

DarthMace
05-26-2015, 06:21 PM
Where did you get your batteries? Also, are they individually protected, or do you have a single protection PCB for both?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
05-26-2015, 06:57 PM
He's only using one 3.7V battery, one that rated for allegedly 4000 mAh.

JI7
05-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Where did you get your batteries? Also, are they individually protected, or do you have a single protection PCB for both?

I purchased this on Amazon I think. Or it may have been ebay. Yes, the battery is protected. I had hoped to find something brand named but nothing came up and since I'm in the UK I couldn't order my battery from TCSS. Do you think these batteries could be dodgy or something?

JI7
05-27-2015, 11:58 AM
I did a bit of research on these batteries and it seems they are likely to be full of s**t rather than actual power. Some tests revealed much lower capacities than advertised with some consumers reporting batteries that simply didn't charge. So I've wasted a bit of money here if in fact these batteries aren't doing what they say they will, and since the batteries aren't trustworthy I don't feel I can trust the charger I just bought either since it is the same brand. Soooo, I did some more research and found XTAR batteries which were well reviewed both on Amazon, budgetlightforum and candlepower forum which can be found here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?334951-Test-Review-of-Xtar-18650-3100-mAh-%28Black%29 These are 3400mAh capacity so I will wait for these to arrive before I do anything else.

Noyl Wendor
05-27-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm pretty sure you've tried this but I'll ask any way, did you reset all your values back to the original settings. Basically do a factory reset and start over? If not try and up your I parameter again and tweak your gap between hs and lc. If it is a bad battery and you have a multimeter test the battery to see what it is saying at full charge. That may give you an indication of weather or not the PCB in the battery is dying or not.
My last idea is board placement in the hilt. Too close to the emitter, a board can do weird stuff. Too close to the pommel, well that's usually the place to be. Just throwing down ideas.

JI7
05-29-2015, 03:23 AM
Once I get my new batteries I will factory reset and start over like you suggest. Thanks for the help.