PDA

View Full Version : K2 vs. LuxV ?

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Now that Tim is selling K2's...
I've read all that I could find about K2's in the thread index, but I still have some questions, and thought maybie you guys could help me out.
Are K2's or LuxV's brighter?
Can you run whichever one is brighter off of Corbin's board to get the cool effects?
Did I take it correctly here
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=370
that some Lux III colors are brighter than that same color in K2?

I'm planning on building a nice saber with wichever is brighter, so any help here would be great!

-Luke

987654321a
12-09-2006, 07:44 PM
all i know is that the white k2s are brighter than 3w, way brighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jjshumpert
12-09-2006, 07:49 PM
first off dont go for brightness, go for the color you like. second, what setup are you going for? mr, mhs, hasbro sound, corbins board, mr module...
depending on whether you want sound and if so how you plan on putting it in the saber can clear up your questions on which to use.

xwingband
12-09-2006, 07:53 PM
It all depends. You could just look up the specs...

Reds/Amber Lux III's are brightest. the K@ versions are pretty much what the III's actually should be.
In the other colors Lux V's still are tops if you go by numbers. K2's are pretty danged close though. In fact the white is exactly the same.

It all depends on your application though. Can you take the extra volts for a V or would you rather deal with the battery drain of a K2?

Corbin's can power any of them, but it's not getting the most out of them in some cases. It's not maxing the 1500mA ones.

987654321a
12-09-2006, 07:54 PM
arent the k2s brighter and have a tighter beam than that of 3ws?

xwingband
12-09-2006, 07:55 PM
arent the k2s brighter and have a tighter beam than that of 3ws?

Not on the Reds/Amber. The beam is determined by the optics too...

jjshumpert
12-09-2006, 07:56 PM
the k2's are pretty much just a more efficient model of the 3w from all i gather

xwingband
12-09-2006, 08:04 PM
the k2's are pretty much just a more efficient model of the 3w from all i gather

Except the Reds/Amber which is why it's a case by case basis. You can't say V's are the best... they don't exist in all colors. The III's in the Reds/Amber rock yet the K2 kicks their butt in the others. Then the V's top that by a bit...

It's nuts... you need to consider each color individually with each situation.

987654321a
12-09-2006, 08:06 PM
hey quick question which one of the resistors that tim sells here can i use for a white k2 running off 12volts?

edit- btw sorry for asking such nooby questions im new to k2s and i want my k2 saber to run perfectly i know that i should get a 12ohm 8w resistor. but i think i can run it off of a buckpuck should i get 2 buckpucks? one 1000ma, and one 700mA? and just parralell them?

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-09-2006, 08:21 PM
What I'd really like is probably Royal Blue or Blue, with Corbin's board's effects, MR sound, and Li-ion recharge batteries... if that can all be hooked up together. I want it to be as bright as possible, as this would be my personal saber.

xwingband
12-09-2006, 08:41 PM
hey quick question which one of the resistors that tim sells here can i use for a white k2 running off 12volts?

edit- btw sorry for asking such nooby questions im new to k2s and i want my k2 saber to run perfectly i know that i should get a 12ohm 8w resistor. but i think i can run it off of a buckpuck should i get 2 buckpucks? one 1000ma, and one 700mA? and just parralell them?

Holt crap, why 12V??? Ideally you want to have the smallest resistor possible. Not to mention 12V of batteries is going to take up some space...

700mA + 1000mA = 1700, that's overdriving it. Go with two 700mA.

What I'd really like is probably Royal Blue or Blue, with Corbin's board's effects, MR sound, and Li-ion recharge batteries... if that can all be hooked up together. I want it to be as bright as possible, as this would be my personal saber.

That's a tough combo. For Corbin's 7.2V of li-ions wouldn't really cut it for a Lux V (the brightest). You'd need a regulator for the MR sound too. That would require a small heatsink on it.

Unless you have real reason to go for li-ions 6V of NiMH would be easier wiring. That'd be for a 3W or K2 though...

Somewhere you'll have to sacrifice something. Corbin's? Brightness? Li-ions?

987654321a
12-09-2006, 10:40 PM

Holt crap, why 12V???

ok sorry maybe 6 volts. i did order every resistor that tim offers lol just to be sure i got the right one i will use the others though, and if not ill just go ahead and head on over to frys and get a 3.4ohm 1.5w resistor.

xwingband
12-09-2006, 10:48 PM
On 6V use the 1.5ohm one. 1.5ohms is PERFECT for 6V and the K2 at 1500mA.

Strydur
12-10-2006, 12:05 AM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1624

:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?

Firebird21
12-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Nice one Tim... http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_owned.gif
Buy the owner…

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_rtfm.gif

:mrgreen:

Ok, serious Q. here… I want to clear some things up in general in regards to electricity, and sometimes it’s better to just start from scratch, just to make sure you’ve covered all the bases.
Can some please make an "Electronics 101" toipc explaining what all that crap is?
What is Voltage, Wattage, Amperage, ect... And what you use to measure each of them, and what do they have to do with each other.

Real world experience between the extremes of each, like: "A 100 watt toaster will heat up slower than a 1000 watt toaster."

Make it in the simplest terms like your talking to 5th graders.
I've always liked the “compare it to water” method.
I know I could search on the internet for this stuff, but it's hard to ask Q's on Wikipedia.

xwingband
12-10-2006, 07:48 AM
Not a totally bad idea, but I think it'd be fruitless. I don't think most would read it. They just want the "Tell me what to put in there" explaination.

AND... I don't wanna write it. :P I could probably write a quick "what does a resistor do" in a paragraph, but "electronics 101" is not something I'm sure I could write competently. I'm an architecture student who as a lightsaber habit. :D

If someone wants to tackle it be my guest.

987654321a
12-10-2006, 10:44 AM
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1624

:shock: :? :shock: :? :shock: :?

tim i already know about that chart but since you didnt sell a 3.4 ohm 1.5w resistor in the store i was asking if there would be another way around that. i was asking that because i was ordering a new saber and wasnt sure what resistor to get since you didnt have the resistor that i needed, but i bought all of them so either way i have the right one.

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Okay, if I take you correctly, your saying for a luxV with corbin's board I would need more than 7.2 v, and would have to reduce it for the MR sound board? I really want to have all of these effects, so whatever works.

-Luke

xwingband
12-10-2006, 02:52 PM
Yup, corbin's board is a step down driver. To get the most out of the LED you need to be at least 1V above the forward voltage.

7.2V will light it but you won't be getting the most out of it. Also regulating the voltage to the MR presents some issues... you'll need another heatsink (smaller than the LED's, but you still need one) for the regulator.

Eruialsul
12-10-2006, 04:48 PM
I think an electronics 101 topic would be great, or at least to find a really good link to a site that explains it well. A couple years ago I took an auto shop class that was heavy on electronics, but even though I got 114% in the class I can't remember a thing at all.

Strydur
12-10-2006, 07:41 PM
but since you didnt sell a 3.4 ohm 1.5w resistor in the store

I think you meant a 3.4W 1.5 Ohm resistor. You are right that I dont sell that but I do sell a 5W 1.5 Ohm one which will actually work better.

Here is part of your elec 101 class. The resistor can have any wattage higher than what is required.

james3
12-11-2006, 08:10 AM
I have a ton of these if someone is interested.

http://www.electronicstheory.com/html/cindex.htm

If there is really that much interest in an electronics thing I reckon I could do one.

987654321a
12-11-2006, 07:46 PM
but since you didnt sell a 3.4 ohm 1.5w resistor in the store

I think you meant a 3.4W 1.5 Ohm resistor. You are right that I dont sell that but I do sell a 5W 1.5 Ohm one which will actually work better.

Here is part of your elec 101 class. The resistor can have any wattage higher than what is required.

thanks so much for the help tim.

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Ok, that helps. If I ran it off 9v then, it would work fine?

Luke-SkyMarcher
12-22-2006, 05:31 PM
Hold on a minute, is the Royal Blue Lux 5 brighter than the Royal Blue K2? If it's not, I suppose that would make the wiring easier... Thanks for all the help!

-Luke

987654321a
12-22-2006, 06:09 PM
i believe the k2 is brighter.

xwingband
12-22-2006, 06:25 PM
i believe the k2 is brighter.

The highest bin K2 yes... but the ones that Tim and others have I believe is slightly less. The Lux V is not enough of a boost (IMO) assuming you run it at full amperage. If not then the Lux V would be brighter.

I still don't understand the drive for brighter when it's easier to go slightly less and easier to do. It's not like the alternative is dim... whatever. :?