PDA

View Full Version : Pommel Insert

minamus
04-23-2015, 03:30 PM
So this would be the first time that i have order the insert ring to keep that bugger from falling out. My first build a long time ago i didn't know what to do so i J. B. welded that sucker in. How well does the ring keep it in place? Should i just J. B. weld it again?

Strydur
04-23-2015, 03:37 PM
If you put the ring in correctly the insert will not come out unless you remove the ring.

minamus
04-23-2015, 04:48 PM
Thank you

Sevinzol
04-23-2015, 10:54 PM
To make your life easier, google: snap-ring or retaining ring pliers.
you can also try a pair of needle nose pliers.
My dad called them Christ pins because that's what you yelled as it flew across the shop.

hapki
04-24-2015, 05:40 PM
I always order two in case I send one sailing

Star Bird
04-24-2015, 11:37 PM
i always order two in case i send one sailing

...lol me too!

minamus
05-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Finally got it in but i think next time i'm wearing armor because the first couple tries it flew off and one time it stuck in the wall right in front of me.

Star Bird
05-14-2015, 06:47 PM
:lol::lol:
Finally got it in but i think next time i'm wearing armor because the first couple tries it flew off and one time it stuck in the wall right in front of me.

:lol:! That's crazy

Miraluka
05-14-2015, 08:19 PM
I bought a pair of compression clip pliers from Home Depot during my first build after a lot of frustration trying to get by without them. They were almost $20 but whatever. They're pretty necessary.

Bark
05-15-2015, 05:43 AM
Retaining ring pliers are the way to go. Only try needle nose pliers if you are a masochist. I spent twenty minutes wrestling with needle nose pliers before I wisely quit seeing that an injury was imminent. I bought some retaining ring pliers, and within ten seconds had the insert in without issue.

Besides, one can never have too many different types of tools. When I'm a senior citizen, I'll be like Clint Eastwood's character in "Gran Torino." My workshop will be full of them.

Silver Serpent
05-15-2015, 06:44 AM
Safety goggles. Every time. Those c-clips can blind you if you're not careful.

minamus
05-15-2015, 10:00 AM
Ya i happened to have some retaining ring pliers but they cant hangle the pressure of the ring enough to get it all the way in. The ring either slides off the pliers, the pliers come apart (interchangeable plier pieces lol), or the pliers bend wrong like if you tried to cut metal with school safety scissors.

TrypWyr
05-15-2015, 02:51 PM
Ya i happened to have some retaining ring pliers but they cant hangle the pressure of the ring enough to get it all the way in. The ring either slides off the pliers, the pliers come apart (interchangeable plier pieces lol), or the pliers bend wrong like if you tried to cut metal with school safety scissors.

I have a set from Harbor Freight that do the same thing... junk.

Personally, I like needle-nose pliers for those things. Getting them in is pretty simple; getting them out? No so simple...

TwinMill
05-16-2015, 02:11 AM
I have a set from Harbor Freight that do the same thing... junk.

Personally, I like needle-nose pliers for those things. Getting them in is pretty simple; getting them out? No so simple...

Do your harbor freight pliers look like this pic?
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_18433.jpg

I can also confirm that style is pure junk, having bought one that's nearly identical from my local auto parts store's bargain tool
bin.

Another member here pointed me to these other snap ring pliers (linked below) and I have to say, it just might
have saved my sanity, lol. The higher price is definitely worth it as it worked on the first try, taking only a few
seconds to install the ring into the pommel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000TG80SY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Miraluka
05-16-2015, 03:46 AM
That second one you linked from Amazon is the kind I found at home depot. I just wish the tips were a little narrower/longer on mine. Aside from that, they're good. Haven't had any C clips flying across the room or into my eyeballs yet. ... yet...

Bark
05-18-2015, 05:50 AM
These are the exact same kind I have. I also got it at Home Depot. They do the job. I think it actually helps to have the tension to be closing, help it a little to put it in the pommel by forcing the handles apart, and then grip to open and release once in position. Ten seconds was all it took once I got these.