PDA

View Full Version : Cree Tri-XP E2 - how do I power/wire it?

undescriptive
04-20-2015, 09:34 AM
Hi everyone,

I want to order one of the new Cree Tri LED that Tim now has in the store.

I want to get a Red - Red - White.

I have a 1000mA buckpuck already from a earlier build, but I am not sure if I can use these LEDs with a 1000mA (you couldn't with some of the earlier luxeons)

or if I should run them in parallel or in series.

I want to stick with a 4xAAA battery pack for size (and surprisingly good runtime as I have 2400mAh AAAs!)

Any help appriciated...

Silver Serpent
04-20-2015, 11:17 AM
2400 mAh from AAA batteries? Typical rating for that size is 1000 - 1200 mAh in alkaline. You can reach 2400 mAh with AA sized, but AAA is a bit of a stretch.

The Crees can take 1000mA.

If you run them parallel, you'll be splitting the current. Two dice will each get 500mA from the buckpuck. If you run them in series, both dice will run at 1000mA. With alkalines, you'll have sufficient voltage to power them in series, but I'm not sure the batteries will handle the discharge rate for long. Get the batteries that are designed for high-discharge applications.

Or go with lithium-ion. A single 18650 cell can have 3000 mAh or more storage, takes up less room than 4 AAA batteries, and saves you money in the long run. You'll need two li-ion batteries to power the buckpuck, since it needs 5v+ to operate.

undescriptive
04-21-2015, 01:07 AM
awesome!

Thanks for the update - there are new high density AAA's available, hence the insane mAh - I haven't real world tested one, but if you could get close to even 2000mAh it's a start (even if it's not for a saber!)

My goal is to do FoC eventually & sound, but I think I'm going to try and do it all with Arduino Nano to control everything, Hilt space shouldn't be a problem for me either (long hilt already)

so, new batteries and run the reds in serial.... got it :)

erlomd
01-18-2016, 04:27 PM
awesome!

Thanks for the update - there are new high density AAA's available, hence the insane mAh - I haven't real world tested one, but if you could get close to even 2000mAh it's a start (even if it's not for a saber!)

My goal is to do FoC eventually & sound, but I think I'm going to try and do it all with Arduino Nano to control everything, Hilt space shouldn't be a problem for me either (long hilt already)

Im building a similar setup with the tri cree LED and I'm wanting to know what buck puck you recommend? the 4 wire or the 6?

FenixFire
01-18-2016, 06:19 PM
awesome!

Yeah the high density are 1000 mA - 1250mA, normal range from 800mA - 1000mA depending on brand. I am using three in a two die setup. I get 5-10 minutes of purple runtime. Once the batteries drop to 1.4v they drop to 800mA output and won't power both die, so I have a switch to put it to just the blue die.

We're did you get 2400. If energizer or Duracell they listed their AA rating on the AAA packages and website. It is a known issue and has been rectified about two weeks ago. Except on the power max rechargeable website where they just listed the AA specs regardless of the format you click on.