PDA

View Full Version : SMD Resistor

JI7
04-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Hello all of you interesting people. I'm a complete noob here and this is my first post regarding my first custom sabre build. I can't wait to show you all what I've done but that will have to wait. In the meantime, I'm putting together my parts list and getting my circuit diagram drawn up, which I may put up here just to make sure I have everything right.

My question now however is regarding the resistor that can be surface mounted to the Power Xtender board for the FoC LED and well, actually all my LED resistors. And please believe me when I say that I have dedicated 8+ hours to trying to figure this out for myself before asking for help, including a lot of trawling through this forum.

My electronics build is utilizing the NBv2, Power Xtender, a kill switch, 20mm speaker, Tri-Rebel Star RGB LED and momentary switch which is LED illuminated. The FoC will utilise the Blue LED on the Tri Rebel Star and my blade colour will utilise the Red and Green LEDs on the Tri Rebel Star (hopefully to produce a nice amber blade with blue FoC). My power supply is the 18650 3.7V 2600mAh variety. So based on this, am I right to use 3 resistors here (ignoring the resistor for the momentary switch): 1 for the FoC LED and 1 each for the 2 LEDs illuminating my blade? I'm using individual resistors on the blade LEDs since the Red and Green have different forward voltage values and run at different amperage values: Red to run at 700mA and Green to run at 1000mA, or can I manage to run them on a single resistor? From what I've read am I right to use a .47ohm .5W resistor for the Green and a 1ohm 2W resistor for the Blue FoC LED and the same for the Red LED? From my calculations and the obvious fact that the Blue and Green LEDs have the same values, it would seem that they should have the same resistor but since the Blue is being mounted to Power Xtender and Plecter Labs have indicated a 2-3W resistor here I am thinking to use the 1ohm 2W resistor. I hope I've made that all clear and thank everyone in advance for your help.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-17-2015, 03:29 PM
Welcome to the Forums. To answer your question... it depends. It depends on the battery type, the LED color you are resistor-ing, etc. More information (and a wiring diagram) will help us to help you out.

Silver Serpent
04-17-2015, 04:58 PM
The 2-3 Watt resistor values were a typical range when erv wrote that section of the manual. With the Rebels and now the Cree LEDs being much closer in voltage to the battery packs, the wattage required has changed a bit.

What you have listed for the Green and Blue dice will work just fine. Either the 0.47 ohm 0.5 watt OR a 1 ohm 1 watt (or greater wattage) will work. The 0.47 ohm will give a brighter blade. I don't see the resistor you calculated for your Red die.

I would strongly recommend wiring the Green and Red in parallel, and putting a resistor on each.

JI7
04-17-2015, 04:58 PM
I've edited my post with some more specifics. From the wiring diagram I am particularly concerned with how to wire the recharge port and also the momentary switch. You can see the diagram in the attachment below.

JI7
04-17-2015, 05:06 PM
I mentioned the red resistor as being the same as that suggested for the blue which was a 1ohm 2W. So that's a 1ohm 2W resistor for both the blue and the red and the .47ohm .5W resistor for the Green.

Silver Serpent
04-17-2015, 05:10 PM
You might want to doublecheck your math on the red. I'm getting closer to 2 ohm 1 watt.

JI7
04-17-2015, 05:30 PM
You might want to doublecheck your math on the red. I'm getting closer to 2 ohm 1 watt.

Ah, yes. 1.86ohms rounded to 2ohms and .91W rounded to 1W. You are correct. I don't know where I got my 1ohm 2W figure from? My mind has gotten muddled. Thank you.