PDA

View Full Version : Basic wiring setup with a buckpuck... (help!)

spoomy
04-16-2015, 12:18 AM
Hi, putting together my first saber, and I was hoping someone could help me... Before this post, I've scoured through as many resources as I could to take a stab at this by myself, but I just can't seem to get my darn LED to light up when I try to wire everything. I've got (what I think is) a super basic setup using a latching switch, white Cree Star LED, two Li-Ion batteries, and a buckpuck (1000mA). Maybe I've just got some things stupidly mixed up, but would someone be so kind as to check if my wiring setup is correct? I've got:

battery pack + wire ---> switch
battery pack - wire ---> buckpuck VIN -
buckpuck VIN + ---> switch
buckpuck LED + ---> LED module + wire
buckpuck LED - ---> LED module - wire

It seemed relatively straightforward from every guide and FAQ I could find, but I'm seriously starting to wonder if I did do something wrong, lol. The LED just won't light, but it definitely works, because it'll light up when I tap its wires directly to one battery. A friend of mine did suggest that there might be a possibility I ended up with a bad buckpuck? I have no idea how to possibly check this, though... I've just been pulling hairs over this because I'm sure I'm just SO close! In any case, any help would be gladly appreciated!

Strydur
04-16-2015, 08:32 AM
Looks correct but a picture might help. Are you sure both batteries are working and outputting correctly from the battery pack?

Silver Serpent
04-16-2015, 08:41 AM
A picture of your wiring would definitely help. It's possible you've wired the switch incorrectly.

spoomy
04-16-2015, 02:23 PM
Ooh, at Strydur's suggestion, I checked both of my batteries again. One of them is able to light my LED when I touched the wires to it, but not the other. I figured it might've just needed a charge then (strange, since I've just received them packaged and new), but I popped it into the charger anyway. The one that couldn't light the LED flashed a 'green' indicator light, which seems odd since that should mean the battery is fully charged, right? Might this mean one of the batteries is bad? :O I did take a pic of the wiring setup I have and the batteries in the charger. Hope this reveals something! Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. :)

Strydur
04-16-2015, 03:39 PM
Leave it in the charger for awhile and see if it takes a charge. Could also try changing sides of the charger to see if it is the charger but I doubt it.

spoomy
04-16-2015, 11:49 PM
Leave it in the charger for awhile and see if it takes a charge. Could also try changing sides of the charger to see if it is the charger but I doubt it.

Poo...well, no luck with the junky battery cell, it seems. Let it sit in the charger for a good hour or so, and it still can't light the LED. Would you say it's safe to assume that replacing the bad battery might do the trick? :confused:

Silver Serpent
04-17-2015, 05:07 AM
Based on what you've shown us, then yes. Replacing the bad battery should do the trick. A dead cell is not common, but it can happen.

Strydur
04-17-2015, 08:29 AM
I assume this is a new battery from us so shoot me a E-mail and we will get you taken care of.

spoomy
04-17-2015, 10:08 PM
I assume this is a new battery from us so shoot me a E-mail and we will get you taken care of.

The batteries were the only thing I didn't order from here, haha (electronics and hilt supplies were and are working great so far!!). What luck, huh...? I'll contact the respective merchant and ask about a replacement. Thank you so much for your help! :D