PDA

View Full Version : My First MHS Project - IT'S DONE!!!

Lord Maul
12-07-2006, 04:18 PM
i am finally gonna build my first mhs saber. i will probably buy it in late january/early february. this will be my question and progress update.
currently, i am thinking that it will be emitter #4, then teh V-Grooved ribbed extension, then the double threaded hilt #3, and for teh pommel it will be emitter #6 with a crystal chamber in it. this saber will have claws and i am thinking a 5 watt green with corbins board and mr sound.

first off, can anyone tell me how long the rechargeable battery pack is? i need to make sure everything will fit :D

any opinions on looks/color ideas welcome!

xwingband
12-07-2006, 04:22 PM
Rechargable pack is about 4" long. It's 4AA so that's how you figure it out.

5W and MR sound... have fun. :P I just ordered some more MHS stuff. I'm going to have fun with the most kick butt "padawan" saber ever.

Lord Maul
12-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Rechargable pack is about 4" long. It's 4AA so that's how you figure it out.

5W and MR sound... have fun. :P

k, thanks
what do ya mean by "have fun"? something tells me it ain't good :?

xwingband
12-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, the wiring is already "fun" with Corbin's + MR... adding a voltage regulator that will probably need heatsinking.

To really pull the most out of Corbin's you should be at least a volt above the forward voltage. So that's about the 8V range... a 7.2V li-ion pack needs a heatsink when regulated to 5V. Unless you do some extra thought working it out it will be... FUN. :D

Lord Maul
12-07-2006, 05:00 PM
so are ya thinking no rechargeable batt pack or just going with the hasbro sound card?

xwingband
12-07-2006, 05:23 PM
You could do rechargeable... just not the one in the store. That one is a NiMH. It's only 4.8V. That doesn't even really light a 5W.

You'd have to figure out how much heat the regulator might have to burn. Figure out the voltage it's shunting. With Corbin's that's around how many watts of heat it'd be giving of. For a 3W with a 7.2V pack that's around 2W... no way you'd get away with the same thing on a 5W without darn good heatsinking for the regulator itself.

We can go on and on with options out the wazoo... are you dead set on a 5W?

james3
12-07-2006, 06:10 PM
Ok, go get me a Diet Dr. Pepper.
With using a ribbed ext. and a hilt you will have all the flippin room in the world so don't worry about that.
Is a 5w really what you want? With using Tim's 7.2 recharge pack you could use a 3w and Corbin's board and have a nice bright saber. or a K2 with a MR board. (This would be an overdrive setup so keep that in mind, I hear xwing rumbling that I am nut's again)

What is it that you really want in this saber?

If it is 5w and sound maybe using the buckpuck setup would be to your liking. from there you could add sound and even a small second power cell if you didn't want to waste battery life. switching options are more then we can think of.

If it is using the Corbin driver maybe going with the 3w green and whatever else would be the way. Remember, with the Corbin it is supposed to look overdrived.(read brite!)

Anyway, time to tuck in the kids. These are some thoughts for you.

xwingband
12-07-2006, 06:14 PM
7.2V and an MR board would probably be about right for a K2. 6V is around 1300mA though (that's what I might try on my padawan saber) . That's a good spot for a K2. At 7.2V (8.4 at initial charge) I'd be afraid of the MR failing eventually, which Ultra said happens.

buckpuck at 6V would be nice for a 5W too. Tons of options. I like that. :D

Lord Maul
12-07-2006, 06:25 PM
i want this saber to be nice and bright. i am fine with a k2 or a 5 watter and maybe a 3 watt. james, i want in this saber
A)very bright
B)sound-preferrably mr but i would to hasbro if need be
C)cool looks

which setup would be the easiest to do? a buckpuck or corbin driver? remebering i DO want sound on this saber invariably

so from what you guys said i am best off with regular batteries, right?

james3
12-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I have actually been thinking hard on rechargables only because of room.

I can get a 3volt that is the same size as a standard AA and all the sudden I have some new possibilities. Even more so in that they come in all kinds of sizes.
I did a hilt not to long ago that had a 3w, Hasbro sound, buckpuck, and a slide switch in a MHS that was a bladeholder,ribbed,f/f ext.,pommel. Nice little Padawan setup. brite as heck and powered by DL123As :twisted:

If you want simple, go with Alkalines though. Everything is in the store ready to go.

A 3w green with Corbin's driver would be WAY BRIGHT! and cool.

Oh so many options. And I am in shock that xwing actually agrees with me :P

xwingband
12-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I was actually thinking of some 123's in my "padawan". Since it will be even smaller than yours.

I bet someone has already done it but I'm planning on the smallest MHS. I'll have to evaluate my possibilities when the parts come. Definately a K2 setup though. :twisted:

james3
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
smaller huh? bh/ff/pommel? I did that with a direct drive and a little 3volt battey that they use in a popular brand of security transmitters. It was way cute but I took it apart and did the other setup instead.

Look forward to seeing it.

xwingband
12-07-2006, 07:50 PM
smaller huh? bh/ff/pommel?

Yup, that'll be it. I'm going to bust up my hasbro Maul for the emitter and thinking of an overlay. Less derail and on Maul's subject...

Options you have, much to dicuss. :) I like these types of discussions.

james3
12-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Oh that is a really fun project.

Using an old Hasbro Maul huh? Wow, that is awesome. I think mine was used up a LONG time ago by the kids. Should make a very cool Padawn trainer though. (Bear clan if I am not mistaken)

Yeah, ITI which is now uhh...GE Interlogix I believe makes IMHO some of the best wireless stuff out there for regular commercial use. Anyway their trademark transmitter uses these little 3 volt lithiums that I think they call half aa or 1/3aa let me see...

Yep, Here is one source (http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/search.asp?N=2100000&category%5Fid=0&part%5Fnumber=LIT2830&mscssid=RR94RT9K2J019L2SG5TCMM2KVEH9BKN5&details=1&js=1)

Lord Maul
12-07-2006, 08:41 PM
If you want simple, go with Alkalines though. Everything is in the store ready to go.

A 3w green with Corbin's driver would be WAY BRIGHT! and cool.

Oh so many options. And I am in shock that xwing actually agrees with me :P

i know this one sounds stupid but what does corbins board all do other than the C&L effect and the blade retract/extend effect?
would i still be able to hook up MR sound with a buckpuck? if so, then a buckpuck might be my ticket since it is 1/2 as much as corbins board

xwingband
12-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Corbin's is a PWM driver. Peak Width Modulator I believe... don't quote me on that acronym though. It basically alternates the current to the LED so fast you can't see it. In fact the LED is off 15% of the time that way.

It appears brighter and saves batteries all at once. A buckpuck wouldn't do that. Otherwise it doesn't have any other features...

By the time you are ready to buy I think Ultra's board will be out. Not sure if Tim will carry it but that would salve lots of this discussion. It will be $80 (about what Corbin's + MR) and have most if not all of those features.

james3
12-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Short answer is yes, using a buckpuck and MR works fine.
The #1 thing that Corbin's board does for the blue/green family is overdrive them without overdriving them. By swinging the current really fast the LED thinks it is getting it's nominal current but the eye thinks it is brighter.
The C&L is a big nice, The extend/retract may or may not be very noticable depending on your style of blade from what I understand.

I am not sure why hooking up a MR card to any setup would be that big of a deal but I may be missing something. Using a buckpuck would be pretty simple.
Again, those are all options and really it is what you are looking to get out of it. I for one would LOVE to use a Corbin driver in a saber. Maybe, it is because I am always doing direct, buckpucks, and MRs but I think Corbin's is like having the good mojo! If this is going to be YOUR saber, isn't it worth a little extra love? :wink:

Lord Maul
12-07-2006, 10:16 PM
yes, it is worth extra love but right now i am guestimating it at like 200$$$ plus all the custom work taht i will do.
xwing: so ultra's board will have sound with the sensors and do what corbins does. now ya got me interested :)
we shall see how it all plays out

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
how would i power the crystal chamber led? would i need a whole seperate batt pack or could i rig it so that the driver powers both leds?

xwingband
12-08-2006, 03:35 PM
how would i power the crystal chamber led? would i need a whole seperate batt pack or could i rig it so that the driver powers both leds?

This would be easiest.

Also, yes. Ultra's will have sound and the features of Corbin's. Juries out until we can actually get a hold of one, but it's promising at least.

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 03:37 PM

This would be easiest.

which would be? seperate system or using teh existing one

xwingband
12-08-2006, 03:41 PM
crap, I meant using the same battery pack. Just resistor the crystal one.

james3
12-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Are you looking to use a lux for the crystal?

The way I did the last one was to throw a standard 5mm in the center of the heatsink that was upside down.

987654321a
12-08-2006, 04:40 PM
btw congratz on getting your first mhs maul

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 05:16 PM
i don't have it yet CD, i will in like february
James: i want either a lux 1-3 watt in it or a different recomendation that will work better

xwing: could ya possibly draw me up a quick diagram? i am not really following you on what to do

987654321a
12-08-2006, 05:30 PM
i know you dont have it right now just sayin congratz for gettin an mhs, future tense!

james3
12-08-2006, 05:33 PM
How are you going to mount the crystal?

The way I did it was that the blade LED was seated in the normal spot between the blade holder and extension. From there I flipped a heat sink and set it in between the extension and the ribbed section. As you can guess the crystal sat in the extension piece wedged in by the "fins" of each heatsink. I went with a 5mm LED set in the middle of the bottom blade holder and just fed it off of my power setup that I was using. Using a LUX will be very impressive and if you did a 3w saber with a 3w "crystal" you could put them on the same driver and be good to go. Just make sure you series them.

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 05:58 PM
i was thinking i would use MC's crystal chamber and glue it or something into the emitter. the weird thing about my hilt is that both ends are a emitter. one is the crystal chamber and one is the blade holder. to hold the led i would just use the plain old heatsink and somehow get juice to it

btw i still don't know how i will seal off the bottom of the crystal chamber emitter. i don't know if tim could machine it with the top on. i'll have to ask him about it closer to the purchase date :wink:

What
12-08-2006, 07:34 PM
Your project your planning sound very interesting Maul, I always liked how some peeps would put a crystal in their saber that has the possibility of lighting up, so when it does lights up it looks as though their crystal is exposed and glarring light off at its viewers. Just something else neat to awe friends with and to make them poo themselves and turn green with envy! :roll: lol :)

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 09:41 PM
i just realized somethin, my current design will be like 13 inches long :shock: might need to do a little modding to make it shorter.

and what, i am more of a in the closet kind of saber guy :wink:

987654321a
12-08-2006, 09:46 PM
its so far a better saber than that of mine. :)

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 09:49 PM
well thank'ee CD
now that i have the design roughed out i need to think about a switch box...any ideas? i'm drawin a blank :(

987654321a
12-08-2006, 09:50 PM
use the luke switch box tim sells here. its perfect and if you wanna make the clamp either use sheet alumminum and cut it out or get a graflex clamp on ebay.

Lord Maul
12-08-2006, 09:53 PM
the only problem is that i already have a luke saber and i think it would look kinda stupid on my saber stand to have two of the same boxes on the sabers. also, the luke one doesn't really fit my design.

my one idea was to have tim machine a hole in the ribbed extension and put the switch there. but, to do that i would also need him to leave out the hole on the extendor piece

987654321a
12-08-2006, 09:54 PM
hmmmm then i really think you should get creative on this one or get a graflex clamp on ebay and buy a bubble strip or a computer chip strip and get creative on this one.

What
12-09-2006, 10:51 AM
If you want us to get a picture of what your thinking of, you can go to the old storefront and use the mhs builder to get the parts your thinking of in the order your thinking of, hit the print screen button, then open up a ms paint document, cut away all the extra, shrink it down sum, and go to image shack and upload and post it here. That would help us understand a lil more what your talking about, especially me, I need to sorta see it to understand what kinds of mods and things you want to do to it :)

EDIT: Well if your talking about the V-groove, you can substitute the normal ribbed extention and just say that your planning on using the V-groove, they are the same length in inches' if any of the other parts arent there then i guess its impossible.

Lord Maul
12-09-2006, 10:55 AM
but, the old mhs builder only has 1/2 of my parts since i am using some newer ones that never got uploaded

Lord Maul
12-09-2006, 09:25 PM
sorry for the double post but,

how will my sound be heard? should i drill holes in the hilt somewhere like Chaos did on his saber? i was also thinking that i could drill holes into the heatsink to let the sound go through but i think the crystal might block all the sound. any thoughts/opinions :?:

Ryma Mara
12-09-2006, 09:39 PM
I was thining something like on the last two grooves in the hilt drill tiny holes all around and then figure out how to mount it inbetween thoes two grooves, to mask the holes you could take some black cloth around to "hide" the holes a little bit.

Lord Maul
01-12-2007, 03:48 PM
UPDATE
i have my design mapped out now.
for the saber i will have pommel 3, then it will be the double threaded female style two(the one with the grooves) and then the V-grooved extension with emitter four and claws.

the crystal chamber will now be in the double threaded female section. it will have three slots that are 1/2 as long as the ones on emitter 4

emitter four will only have three slots instead of four so that way i can line up the claws perfectly.

for sound i will either do corbin's with mr or ultra's new board. it will be available in late february but there will be a presale. whichever is cheaper i will probably do. i sent a email to ultra asking how much the SB will cost. once he responds i'll make my decision.

any input welcome. i am afraid that i will run out of room with the corbin board/MR setup because of the crystal chamber. anyone who actually knows if i will please give input :D

EDIT - how would i wire it so that both leds are turned on/off with one switch?

Lord Maul
03-16-2007, 03:39 PM
WOOO HOOO!
MY LIGHTSABER CAME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

here are some pics. i have a lot of work to do on this badboy :D
the unaltered version:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0227.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0226.jpg

great work on the machining tim!
this weekend i'll be doing most of the body work and i will put in my second order (for all the stuff i forgot to get on the first one :lol: )

TorLinWaDur
03-16-2007, 04:24 PM
sweet.
very very nice Lord Maul :)

987654321a
03-16-2007, 05:21 PM
nice saber man

vortextwist
03-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Lookin real good lord maul, can't wait to see it completed.

Jedi-Loreen
03-16-2007, 07:33 PM
Looks nice, but it looks like it's gonna be a pain in the butt taking it apart so you can change the batteries!

I recently built one for a friend that has the switch down near the bottom like that. I put a quick connect on the switch so that he can unscrew the pommel then disconnect the switch so that when he unscrews the bottom section, the wires don't get all twisted up.

Where are your batteries going to go? Above or below the crystal chamber?

vortextwist
03-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I think that is why he is putting in rechargable pack.

Jedi-Loreen
03-16-2007, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah, duh. http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/mad0218.gif I forgot about that. :oops: http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/rolleye0012.gif

vortextwist
03-16-2007, 08:04 PM
lol. no prob

Jay-gon Jinn
03-16-2007, 10:02 PM
That looks good, Maul! It looks an awful lot like the parts I got the other day! 8)

Lord Maul
03-16-2007, 10:41 PM
J-Lo, the batteries for the 5 watter will be under the crystal chamber. that is a 7.2V pack

the crystal chamber will have a two non rechargeable two AAA pack. i have yet to figure out where that will go.

To anyone using the 7.2V pack like i am, don't. i had to slice and dice my switch to about 2 mm thick inside the hilt. took me 1/2 an hour :shock:

on the drill/tapping note:
i got a multi tap set thing at home depot, and i was wondering if i use a 8-32 drill bit with the 8-32 tap. i think that it might make too big of a hole which is why i'm asking

Jay-gon Jinn
03-16-2007, 10:50 PM
According to my info on drill and tap sizes, for the 8-32 threads you want to use a #29 drill bit to drill the hole.

Marsupial
03-17-2007, 12:44 AM
but if you got the drill/tap set, the 8-32 tap should be properly sized for the 8- drill bit.

Ryma Mara
03-17-2007, 02:09 AM
Nice hilt there Lm, very nice.

Lord Maul
03-17-2007, 08:50 AM
According to my info on drill and tap sizes, for the 8-32 threads you want to use a #29 drill bit to drill the hole.

my drill bit holder thing shows all the bits in fraction size. i just don't want to drill a hole too big and then be screwed.

vortextwist
03-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I want to say that it's an 1/8 inch drill bit, don't quote me though. I realize you just got this tap set but it you still have stuff to order I would go with getting the drill and matching tap from tim. Then you know it's all good.

Lord Maul
03-17-2007, 08:59 AM
that's what i'll do if all else fails and i can't find out what fraction size it is for sure vortex. :wink:

vortextwist
03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
hows the weight with the claws up there Maul? I want to do something sort of like that.

Lord Maul
03-17-2007, 09:28 AM
well, right now all i have in is the batt pack, but with a blade on it it is almost perfectly balanced at the ribbed section. just a tiny bit blade heavy but that will go away once all the guts are in

03-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Just test it on a piece of wood. Then you know for sure.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I take it your tap set didn't come with the bits? You'll want to use the correct size bit. If you use too big of a bit, you won't get any threads at all (obviously!), and if you use one that's too small, you run the risk of breaking the tap. I'd go to a hardware store and get the correct bit. But ultimately, it's up to you.
EDIT: The 1/8 bit might work, they appear to be about the same size to me.

Jay-gon Jinn
03-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I looked at my drill bits again, and the 1/8 is a bit too small. A 9/64 is the closest to the #29 bit.

Lord Maul
03-17-2007, 11:38 AM
i think i'll just go to the hardware store to get a #29 bit.
much easier and there isn't any risk involved :D

BTW, corbin's blades are soooooooo cool 8) 8)
the core is very visible. i now have both tim's and corbin's blades, but i have to say that i like the OT feel of corbin's more

Halcyon the Righteous
03-19-2007, 03:47 PM
DAMN! looks perrty good man. Cant wait to see what you do with it!

Lord Maul
03-28-2007, 06:04 PM
PROGRESS!!!!!!!!
YAY!!!!!

i've put on three coats of mother's polish. i can see my reflection 8)

i've also mounted the covertech clip, and the blade screw, and the recharge port. i also drilled the sound holes in the pommel

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0363.jpg
the speaker holes

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0359.jpg
Covertech nob

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0365.jpg
recharge port. when i drilled this, the bit was dull and it melted the aluminum :shock:
got it all fixed now, except for two tiny scuffs that i'm not going to take the time to fix

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0361.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0360.jpg
whole saber :P

this weekend i'll be rigging the crystal chamber. gonna be fun :D

vortextwist
03-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Nice LM, Lookin great!! Get that thing lit up already!!!!!!!

Lord Maul
03-28-2007, 06:09 PM
you heard the man Ultra!
get that board out :D
it's the only thing in my way

elrond.406
03-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Nice job on your MHS maul! :wink:

Ryma Mara
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Nice

Jay-gon Jinn
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Ooooo, SHIIINEY!! Very nice work, Maul!

WeirdoTransvestite
03-28-2007, 10:30 PM
Soooo...pretty....

Very nice job Maul. Very nice, except all that saber building is seriously cutting into your Dr. Pepper fetchin time.

Lord Maul
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
do you need one weirdo? i have plenty of time on my hands :wink:

thanks for the words everyone :D
it's really coming together nice

Enolmano
03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
that's kinda what I want my saber to look like... :roll:
Nice saber maul!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Enolmano
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
srry for the doubble post, my net was "lagging"...

Lord Maul
03-29-2007, 02:46 PM
EDIT: I'm in sweden, are yo still fetching one for me, maul???

you want one, i'll get ya one.
shipped fed ex, you'll get it in about 5 years unless they lose it (which happens all to often) :lol:

Nightwing
03-29-2007, 07:32 PM
So can we get some lit pics? :D

Ryma Mara
03-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Its empty like elronds head.

987654321a
03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
wow speaking of lit up, i need to make a saber soon or my head will explode and magical rainbow eating ponies will jump out.

supertrogdor
03-30-2007, 07:15 AM
I wonder why it is that magic ponies eat rainbows, are you sure they are not unicorns? And isn't it a bit of a tight fit to keep them in your noggin?

Barmic Rin
03-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Did he miss a comma there?

"my head will explode and magical rainbow, eating ponies will jump out."

Is it like a giant rainbow that eats like pac-man? Like the one in my night terrors..... :shock:

And don't be crazy trogdor. Unicorns don't eat rainbows!!! It's bad for their digestive system.

(Suddenly the forum sinks to a new low on the SANE-O-METER)

LordArgyll
03-30-2007, 10:20 AM
(Suddenly the forum sinks to a new low on the SANE-O-METER)

I think it ever registered on the meter to begin with. :lol:

Firebird21
03-30-2007, 12:04 PM
But Chaaaarleeeee.........

elrond.406
03-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Its empty like elronds head.

It's not empty! :evil: IT'S FAT, umm or DENSE, 'member?!? :P

Lord Maul
03-31-2007, 04:02 PM
no elrond, it's empty. none of the guts are in it :wink:

jjshumpert
04-01-2007, 12:49 AM
now im gonna show my age with this one, but here it goes anyway...

i wonder if these creatures are purple in hue and consume all type of people, or in fact care to eat only people who are purple. i for one hope that they only care to ingest people with a purple skin tone which i do not have... further more what can be said about an alien race that not only eats people, but discriminates against all ethnic groups other than purple people...
this is a most distubing subject if i say so myself!

if anyone has a clue to any references from which i drew this crazy little bit of text, lets hear from you... im shure the younger croud wont have a clue but there should be some on the forum, being 25 years or older, that get what im saying and remember how hillarious this stuff used to be back in the late 70's and early 80's

Ryma Mara
04-01-2007, 12:55 AM
purple people eaters?

Lord Maul
04-01-2007, 09:40 AM
same here

it's the Purple People Eater Song for Halloween

Firebird21
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
I remember when that movie came out...

I feel old :evil:

SilentBob501
04-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I remember the movie, it starred....ready for this...

Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser MD)

vortextwist
04-01-2007, 10:36 AM
I remember him *shudders*

Lord Maul
04-01-2007, 11:46 AM
I remember when that movie came out...

I feel old :evil:

it's okay FB http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_soothe.gif

we all know :lol:

elrond.406
04-01-2007, 01:49 PM
It was a movie!?! :oops:

Lord Maul
05-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Progress...Yay!!
put it on the school lathe today, and polished/sanded the ribbed extension and emitter. the main hilt section wouldn't fit :x

this baby will be going in for powdercoating next week (hopefully wednesday).

i took the pics this time next to a tape measure for relative size comparison.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0427.jpg
whole saber

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0428.jpg
tiny crystal chamber switch Corbin supplied me (many thanks man :D ). the thing is only 1/4 of a inch squared :shock:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0429.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0430.jpg
crystal chamber with red led on it, sorry for the crappy pics of that.

Ryma Mara
05-10-2007, 05:43 PM
very nice. I love how the extention turned out.

Jedi-Loreen
05-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Cool, but can we have some photos of the crystal chamber that are in possibly in focus? :wink:

Lord Maul
05-10-2007, 07:17 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0432.jpg

best one i could get, but still nothing to be proud of. lol

when it's all put together, it looks better. the battery pack pushes up and makes the black on the sides of the crystal more even. this is just a throw together since i don't really enjoy assembling and disassembling the saber. everything barely fits, so it is a pain to do.

unfortunately, i think powder coating won't happen next week...my mom/dad are too busy, and the store's hours suck. it is pretty much right when i am in school, and i want to be there to tell the people what i want done.

Jay-gon Jinn
05-10-2007, 09:15 PM
That looks good!

987654321a
05-10-2007, 09:38 PM
well good job on the saber there. i hope the powdercoating goes well.

Novastar
05-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Great job Maul! :)

I dig the crystal chamber...

supertrogdor
05-11-2007, 07:43 AM
Very well done indeed Maul, It is always good to see fine work.

DACOTA
05-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Oh yeah thats one sweet hilt man,glad to see somthing like that. :D

gthmnyt2580
05-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Very cool Lord Maul...i'm loving the crystal chamber....i'm trying to work that into my next saber as well....we'll see....Great job!!!

Kuil
05-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Good job Lord Maul. Great saber... I like the emiter :)

Lord Maul
06-16-2007, 03:43 PM
WOOT!!
got it back from powdercoating today, and it's sweet. i had to fix a problem (a dent really) in the threads, but now that that's done, it's perfect! Now all i need to do is find someone with a lathe for polishing and sanding (my school's lathe broke :evil: ).

now to the pics.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0545.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0546.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_0547.jpg

it has a dull finish because the people had to sand blast it :?

My question to all of you is, should i sand the ribbed extension so that only the grooves are black, or leave it as is?

vortextwist
06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
it's not lookin bad the way it is. Are you goin to polish the rest of the hilt? I would wait till then to make your decision.

Firebird21
06-16-2007, 05:17 PM
I think it looks good the way it is, but I'm curious to see how the "Grenade" section looks polished like that, so I'm torn... If I had to choose I'd say polish it, because you don't see that too often.

Lord Maul
06-16-2007, 09:38 PM
the whole thing will be polished for sure, but i'm torn on whether or not to sand the grenade grip

Hasid Lafre
06-16-2007, 09:43 PM
Persionally I would have them do the sand blasting on the bladeholder and claws and have some powder coat in places on that.

Looks good with the sand blasted look.

Jay-gon Jinn
06-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd sand off the pc from the grips in a heartbeat! If I had a lathe, I'd also use it to sand and polish the rest of it again, too.

Lord Maul
06-17-2007, 09:37 PM
you and i must think alike jay gon :D

now i just need to find a lathe to use/find someone who will do it for me

DACOTA
06-18-2007, 07:43 AM
Looks very good maul,and I like the grip the way it is, it looks just like obi's now. :D

JediTom
09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Just a thought, but maybe they had to sand blast to get all the polish off and give it a rough surface for the powder coat to stick on. If they coludn't get all the polish off the powder coat would not have come out right. I would expect that there are solvents that could have taken off the polish and if they had to sand blast they could have taped off the rest of the parts before sandblasting.

Crashteam85
09-02-2007, 09:05 AM
I say leave the ribbed section black, it looks awesome that way!

ti-el_terall
09-02-2007, 11:01 AM
Lord Maul, this saber is THE BOMB! :D :D

I wish I had one half as good

vortextwist
09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
wish it would get finished already!

Lord Maul
09-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Lord Maul, this saber is THE BOMB! :D :D

I wish I had one half as good

it will be the bomb once done, but i'll always be haunted by the construction problems it has had.

Lord Maul
10-11-2007, 05:20 PM
I just got this picture from Acerocket today! Man does it look SWEET.

http://photos.msn.com/ImageServer/Image.aspx?Image=mqkSFy3d5JBU0Rwo7USzwHnVRMTtfrDrg ZkyI7htfCYRYHLDAzjtD7ba!JO!TtFf4zEfSAYL5u9uWtbzMc0 SrhcKnyXz26apWVwPfSJHmHpFyNLMxGkqhERh13JarrTh

Copy and paste the URL.

vortextwist
10-11-2007, 05:30 PM
looks cool man!, now just get it done already. :twisted:

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey, that looks pretty sharp! The contrast makes it really jump out at you.

That saber is going to look great when it's done.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-12-2007, 06:51 AM
That looks a ton better! Should look really good assembled!

Ambo
10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Looks VERY sharp there Maul.....I wont pick on you ever again.....I promise....

Lord Maul
10-13-2007, 10:37 AM
Looks VERY sharp there Maul.....I wont pick on you ever again.....I promise....

http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_woohoo2.gif
I finally got Ambo's respect!

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Ace is doing the rest of the saber today and tomorrow so I'll be getting more pics shortly.

Lord Maul
10-13-2007, 03:22 PM
I got the final pictures from Ace today, and boy is this saber SWEET!!

http://photos.msn.com/ImageServer/Image.aspx?Image=mqkSFy3d5JBU0Rwo7USzwHnVRMTtfrDrc 3xNZiZa3osGK6jUnF4ncJff8gcvQQ!j9f2AMFSCFenA95D7w4G RNJAGaJIQo4juXd1zrNOGyTzEXbnMbFVGLuR6iHolv0!q

http://photos.msn.com/ImageServer/Image.aspx?Image=mqkSFy3d5JBU0Rwo7USzwHnVRMTtfrDr3 rYhCWSjtykKiJ0LTxH*D1W32Fe!a*7Jh9KJqSj4KK6KfcZscLK C!iKsQH879VJOC6FGUInr6tCNXdAzEMgyKEg8kVchgWnm

Copy and paste the URL, for some reason the pictures won't work directly on these forums...

Jay-gon Jinn
10-13-2007, 10:29 PM
HOLY COW!! :shock: It's so SHINY!! 8)

valeon
10-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Let me guess, you used a buffing wheel with buffing compound. You can make anything GLEAM with buffing compound. Nice work by the way.

DACOTA
10-14-2007, 03:23 PM
I cant get it to work, can you post some pics?

Lord Maul
10-14-2007, 03:44 PM
I cant get it to work, can you post some pics?

Copy and paste the URL, for some reason the pictures won't work directly on these forums...

They work on the FX Sabers boards, try looking there.

Lord Maul
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Pics later on tonight, so it will be dark.

Obi-Dar Ke-Gnomie
10-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing it!

Lord Maul
10-17-2007, 07:33 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_1138.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_1135.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_1134.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_1133.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n187/aluke_2006/MHS%20Saber/IMG_1132.jpg

Stinky Bantha
10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Looks awesome (and shiny 8)) Congrats on finishing!

Lord Maul
10-17-2007, 07:50 PM
My saber was just FUBARed. 5 wires and the switch broke, so I have to basically remake the whole fricken thing.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-17-2007, 09:43 PM
It looks like it turned very nice Maul, what'd you do, play with it?!! :wink:

Seriously, it doesn't like that bad of a repair job, and shouldn't tke you too long.

Darth Morbius
10-17-2007, 10:16 PM
VERY NICE 8)

A most unfortunate turn of events on the wiring and switch though. Hopefully a little TLC will take care of it, and you'll soon have it up and going again soon!

DACOTA
10-18-2007, 07:37 AM
Finally real pics. Woohoo! That thing is sweeeeeet! So shiny. One question though, do you find a sinlge screw for the prongs enough? Like do they turn or pivot around or is the screw tight enough to prevent that?

Maliki Skywalker
10-18-2007, 08:04 AM
:shock: That is an awesome shiny saber!!! And for a first thats amazing! :shock:

Tom Starkiller
10-18-2007, 08:52 AM
Thatlooks awesome. Shame about the wires breaking though.

Lord Maul
10-18-2007, 05:39 PM
It looks like it turned very nice Maul, what'd you do, play with it?!! :wink:

Seriously, it doesn't like that bad of a repair job, and shouldn't tke you too long.

Do you consider 4 hours long? I got it fixed again...finally. So, it took 4 hours to make and break it, and another 4 to fix it.

Dakota, I had Tim machine my claws with a special flange that goes over the rim of the emitter to keep them from spinning.

valeon
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm sure glad you got everything back together, you were having a conniption fit the other night.

Lord Maul
10-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Okay, I think I'm gonna do a wrap up of the whole dang thing.

The Ultrasound is a good board, for the most part. It does have it's problem, but I think that it was worth the money. The pulse mode on it does need some work. When you turn off the saber, it doesn't "pulse" off, it just does a normal fade. Also, there is sometimes a huge gap between when the LED turns off, and the sound turns off. This can be up to 3 seconds in my experience. However, sometimes it works good and shuts off on time.

I would like to give many thanks to Tim, Corbin, Acerocket, Xwing, jjshumpert, and Darth Morbius for their input and help.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Gald you got it fixed...wiring must have been more complicated than i remembered it being...4 hrs is long, btw! And I have to agree about the Ultraboard, it needs some work for version 2.0.

Lord Maul
10-18-2007, 10:14 PM
Keep in mind that there are two completely separate circuits in the hilt. There is the Ultrasound circuit which includes wires for the speaker, switch, LED, and battery. Also, there is the Crystal Chamber circuit which has wires for the switch and LED. All of those wires except for the blade LED go through the crystal chamber, and down to the very bottom of the hilt.

When I assemble the saber, everything gets shoved up through the pommel to the ribbed foregrip, where I attach the 5 watter via a quick disconnect.

Jay-gon Jinn
10-18-2007, 10:17 PM
D'oh! I forgot about the crystal chamber! Still, glad you got it fixed!

DACOTA
10-19-2007, 08:57 PM
Dakota, I had Tim machine my claws with a special flange that goes over the rim of the emitter to keep them from spinning.

Ahh thats right, I should have realized that from the pic.