PDA

View Full Version : Wireless connection to R.I.C.E.?

hapki
04-03-2015, 11:44 AM
I've seen several Bluetooth/wireless modules that can add wireless connectivity to Arduino devices. I'm wondering how this works and if I can use it to connect a PC to one of these wireless modules. There are TxD and RxD pads on most of these devices. I'm thinking I can connect these to the TxD and RxD pads on the PC, connect power to the module (either with the same battery or using a separate, smaller battery) and then allow the PC to talk with my computer wirelessly. Of course, it sounds simple...too simple. So I'm sure there's a lot I don't understand. If anybody has knowledge of how this works, I'd love to hear it. The R.I.C.E. port is a pain to work into some designs, and eliminating it altogether would be swell.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-03-2015, 11:48 AM
There is no Bluetooth, wireless or other type of connection currently available to RICE. Sorry, it's not as simple as you think it is.

You could eliminate RICE and do what we all use to do, plan sabers with easy SD card access and just manually make changes on the SD card. ;)

Silver Serpent
04-03-2015, 12:24 PM
Or leave the RICE port inside the saber. I've seen a number of builders leave it tucked behind the speaker or something, and you only pull it out to make changes. There's little need to mount it on the saber hilt.

You still want the SD card easily accessible, so you can change fonts. That's still unavailable via RICE.

hapki
04-03-2015, 12:45 PM
I still think if people an connect wireless to an Arduino, it can be connected to a PC. I'll keep exploring.

Silver Serpent
04-03-2015, 06:41 PM
It's certainly possible, though you may need to design, build, and code your own adapter. I don't know if there are any off-the-shelf solutions.

Thalan the Exiled
04-03-2015, 07:37 PM
I don't think you would have to build your own bluetooth device as long as you can find one that you can modify the programing on. Most bluetooth devices, at least the ones I have experience with, need to have a code verified before pairing will occure. Now I do believe there is a way to force pair devices so I wouldn't think it would be hard to get the device to pair with a computer. The issue would be being able to communicate the information. There are certain protocals that bluetooth uses to communicate and I am not sure if any of them would be able to properly communicate the data back and forth. So the issue that would need to be solved would be creating a bluetooth protocal that can communicate the data correctly. Also getting the device connected to the soundboard. Oh and thw R.I.C.E software might need modified as well.

hapki
04-04-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanks. I'm thinking I just need an virtual serial port adapter, sorta like this.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Add-bluetooth-to-your-Arduino-project-ArduinoHC-06/

The driver for R.I.C.E. is a USB to UART driver, so possibly connecting the TxD and RxD pads (TxD to the other device's RxD) would do the trick. I think I'd need a USB-connected version on my laptop, but I'm not sure about that. Essentially, the two Wixels would work like an adapter or bridge.