PDA

View Full Version : LEDs for Crystal Chamber

Miraluka
03-27-2015, 10:38 PM
Planning a build with a crystal chamber, been trying to figure out what LED to light it with. I've seen people say they use the little 5mm LEDs but the ones I have don't seem like they'll be bright enough. Not comparable to the super bright chambers I've seen in other peoples hilts. I'm still waiting on my quartz in the mail so I can't be 100% sure but yeah. Wondering what LEDs you guys have used for chambers or if there is a certain brand of 5mm LEDs that are notably bright. I'm looking for yellow / amber / orange LEDs.

Any advice?

Thanks.

amwolf
03-28-2015, 06:21 AM
Well, we can't link outside suppliers since it's Tim's store... but google can be your friend. My only crystal chamber (so far) used only one 5mm, and yes it's not nearly as bright as the main blade. Sloth's chambers use multiple leds spaced around the crystal (obviously brighter) and works them into to the overall aesthetic of the saber. Also, remember that sometimes the camera can be fooled...

bigkevin61
03-28-2015, 09:30 PM
Well, there are different types of 5mm Leds. The "old" kind, which you typically see with the plastic colored Reg, Green and the like, are really NOT that bright (usually DIRT Cheap).

There are now "Super Bright", or "Ultra Bright" (or pick some adjective) versions of all different colors, typically in a clear (or frosted diffused) plastic (a nominal bit more $ per LED).

I picked up an assorted pack (of Multiple direct colors, plus a few RGB LEDs) of those, and tested them with a 20ma DynaOhm from Tim (so, they all had the exact same current delivered), and I can tell you, DO NOT look at those straight on! Holy crap those were bright, and with a relatively clear crystal, they would have no trouble making a bright crystal chamber. Add more for a brighter effect!

The Direct (non mixed) Color of Orange, and Red were not as annoyingly bright, as the Green, Blue and White (obnoxiously bright!) was. The Amber and Direct (non mixed) Purple were in the "middle".

Miraluka
03-29-2015, 01:56 AM
Thanks, all. Ordered a few different LEDs earlier. We'll see how they turn out.