PDA

View Full Version : Question about Tim's announcement

WookieeGunner
02-02-2015, 08:31 AM
So Tim just announced that he is stopping the "Powder Coating with Machining afterwards". Does someone mind explaining what this means to me. I assume this means the partial powder coating option?

fragrax
02-02-2015, 09:01 AM
I take it to mean that powder coating options from now on will be mostly limited to "Solid color".
E.G:
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h398/fragrax/misc/Immagine.jpg~original

Am I understanding correctly?

FenderBender
02-02-2015, 09:03 AM
That's correct.

WookieeGunner
02-02-2015, 09:45 AM
Ok, that is what I was figuring too, just wanted to confirm.

RobotCamel
02-03-2015, 02:02 PM
In Tim's post in the Official Store News section titled "The future of powder coating", he says that they will no long offer "powder coating that requires machining afterwards". I don't know much about the process of machining or powder coating, and I'm new to this site and making lightsabers in general. So, pardon my ignorance, but what does that include exactly? Does that include getting recessed switch holes drilled in a powder coated hilt? Or is it referring to the powder coat designs that have bare metal in addition to powder coating? I don't know if that's an afterwards machining thing, or if it's just masked out before if get powder coated?

The big reason I ask, is that I am looking to do a saber that would use hilt style 3 with matte black power coating and the bare metal grooves(SH32). As well as have a 12 or 16mm AV switch hold drilled in. So, if I can't get that style powder coating any more, is there a way I could do a solid powder coat and then scrape off the powder coating afterwards to get the bare metal grooves?

Also, I posted this question here because I didn't want to reply to that post and waste Tim's time - I'm hoping someone else might be able to answer.

Thanks!

Silver Serpent
02-03-2015, 02:11 PM
You'll be able to sand off the PC if you're patient and careful. There are a few solvents that remove it as well, but it would be difficult to keep straight lines while applying it.

I don't believe this will affect your ability to get holes drilled in PC'd parts.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-03-2015, 02:22 PM
Threads merged - FJK

RobotCamel
02-03-2015, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the response Silver Serprent. Sorry for missing the existing thread Forgetful Jedi Knight.

DarthRevanIsImmortal
02-11-2015, 08:38 PM
I think I'm going to hold off ordering my parts until the powder coating options are back again.. was looking forward to getting them though.

Lilac
02-19-2015, 05:38 AM
This is really bad news...
I don't understand why they aren't just adjusting prices to to control demand.

Silver Serpent
02-19-2015, 05:55 AM
Probably because Tim doesn't have enough hours in the day to do all of the custom powder coating that we request. TCSS isn't a big company. Pretty much any custom work you have done, was done by his hands.

Strydur
02-19-2015, 09:41 AM
SS is exactly right. I could raise the price on the custom powder coating to offset the time involved but the issue is not getting paid for the time as much as just not having the time.

Bark
02-19-2015, 10:09 AM
Joke post: Set it to $100,000. If you actually get an order at that price, you can always skip sleep to get that money.

shon31
10-12-2015, 02:35 PM
This is very unfortunate news as I really like some of the post coated options. Any chance we can clone some more Tim's...

No well how about a couple of tutorials for removing the powder coating for us newbs.

Still think the cloning thing has merit though.

I mean it keeps with the Star Wars theme and everything.