PDA

View Full Version : Nano Biscottev2 - no sound, weird LED behavior

terralthra
01-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Just wiring up my first NBv2. Haven't put all the parts into the hilt yet, just doing wiring on breadboard to make sure I have the wiring right, and it turns out that I don't. I'm doing the basic setup first, then once I get it working, going to wire up the PeX and FoC.

So for now, I have one LED of the tri-rebel hooked up, the speaker, the momentary switch, and the battery (18650). When I connect power, I get no boot sound from the speaker, but I do get the blade LED on, but dimly. When I press the momentary switch, the blade LED comes up to full brightness, complete with shimmer...but still no sound. Pressing the momentary switch again powers the LED down from full brightness, but it remains on dimly.

Ideas? I can post pictures of the soldering and the breadboard, if that helps. Wiring diagram is straight out of the NBv2 manual p.10: one LED, speaker, no FoC.

Silver Serpent
01-31-2015, 07:37 AM
Something's not wired correctly. Show us pictures of your soldering. I have a suspicion that you may have bridged something.

Obi1
01-31-2015, 12:59 PM
It definitely sounds like a short circuit somewhere. The main LED gets juice from somewhere it's not supposed to.

terralthra
01-31-2015, 01:10 PM
Well, overnight, it's stopped doing the "brightening" and now just comes on dimly whenever power is connected. No sound, not even boot.wav.

Link to wiring images: https://plus.google.com/photos/117612066730990329510/albums/6110598558668153057

On the breadboard:
column 1 is + battery terminal, leads go to the battery, the NBv2+, and the LED+
column 5 is the NB LED- terminal, leads go to the NBv2 and the resistor (shown).
Column 8 is the lead to the actual LED- (across the resistor) and the resistor (shown)
Column 10 is the NBv2 momentary switch, leads go to that pad on the NBv2 and one lead goes to the switch
Column 16&17 are the NBv2 speaker + and -, leads go to the NBv2 and the speaker
Column 24 is - battery terminal, leads go the battery, the NBv2-, and the momentary switch.

Link to video: NBv2 wiring issue - YouTube

If I have solder bridging on the NBv2, I can't see it.

WookieeGunner
01-31-2015, 01:26 PM
Looking at the pictures, it looks like the stranded wire from the battery's positive is touching the wire from the battery's negative. This could be causing a short that could cause all kinds of weird stuff.

terralthra
01-31-2015, 01:53 PM
Looking back at that picture, I think the strand that appears to be touching is actually clipped wire sitting on the table beneath.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0VS7M9Eboig/VM1AbGJ5t1I/AAAAAAAAN-U/zrBtCskgPlc/w1472-h983-no/_MG_2193.JPG

amwolf
01-31-2015, 03:47 PM
First off, a general note: You've got a lot of exposed wire on those connections. I'd suggest shortening those leads and making sure the wire's nicely and tightly twisted together. You're going to have issues with that.

I'll follow that up with a question to the forum (and collectively please forgive me, I don't actually know the correct terms): in the photo, top right, to the left of the large black [component] and below the ACT pad, is a small black component with some lettering on it that seems to be touching the component next to it. It's really clear in photo #5 in his original photo link. In the manual, the board photo has those three small component parallel with each other. Manufactured incorrecly, and causing a short? I'm not saying there's other wiring issues going on, but that one elements really jumps out at me...

terralthra
01-31-2015, 05:47 PM
According to CHEWBACCA over at the fx-sabers forums, I have at the very least a blown audio amp (he pointed to a bulge where something inside the IC has fried, top right IC), and possibly other damage as well, most likely from a short circuit at some point in the wiring process. I've mailed the board off to the US repair shop to have the amp replaced, along with any other fixes necessary.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-01-2015, 08:09 AM
Chewbacca is on this forum as well, he just has a different alias.

Since this is being resolved, I'll lock this for now.