PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate FX soundboard with a Makoto V3 LED string

imagehunter
01-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Hi everyone, I have decided to go with a wall-hanger for my first build. I have designed my hilt and would like some rudimentary sound and a nice bright blade.
Has anyone tried a straight swap with the LED string in a Hasbro Ultimate FX saber and a Makoto V3? I'm wondering if it can handle the power. I'm not sure of the power difference between the two LED strings. (I have VERY limited knowledge of electronics)

Sarich
01-24-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think the power supply in an Ultimate FX saber would be able to properly power a Makoto and I don't think the board could handle the power needed. That being said, I don't think anyone has tried to do a swap because in all honesty, what's the point? If you're gonna spend the money on the blade, may as well make yourself a much nicer saber to go with it.

Obi1
01-25-2015, 01:40 PM
You can look into this for a start: http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?16981-Serial-II-LED-string-blade-using-Hasbro-board-wiring-diagram

But this needs skills in electronics...however this idea makes the Driver of LED string decoupled from the UeFX board. It would work running off from less voltage, in which case you do not need the voltage regulator.

That said, I guess a Makoto saber is not cheap...if you invest in an expensive blade, why upgrade the electronics as well?

To the question of handling the power: I do not have a proof here, but out of experience with full parallel LED strings I can say that the current can easily go up beyong 3A!!! Divided by 5 (number of segments in ueFX), you get ~600mA each. I guess the Output Transistors could definitely cope with that, unless Hasbro put additional money on the table to design in components crappier than crappy to ensure the board fries if tampered with.

imagehunter
01-26-2015, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the input guys. As this is my first attempt to build a saber I thought it best to start with a soundboard that would not bankrupt me if I fry it. The principal being: Don't teach yourself to drive in a new Ferrari. Once I figure out the electronics stuff I can always upgrade the sound card, as the blade and hilt will be quality. Makoto did a youtube video where he used a MR Obi Wan saber and original sound card and just straight swapped the LED string out for his. I was hoping to try the same thing and just save a few dollars. I am not sure if the Force FX and the Ultimate FX can support the same power output. Do they use the same board?

Obi1
01-27-2015, 06:57 AM
No, they use different board, even among the FX Serie all of them are slightly different. Nevertheless I assume that the driving Transistors are the same, and the trace sizes are similar as well (defining the current capability of the board).
One important difference is, that the uFX's have 5 LED segments, while the FX have 6, probably the Makoto also has 6 (I've never seen/had one myself, so I'm guessing here).
Out of my gut feeling I would say the board can handle the current. But I cannot proove it...

imagehunter
01-27-2015, 08:25 PM
No, they use different board, even among the FX Serie all of them are slightly different. Nevertheless I assume that the driving Transistors are the same, and the trace sizes are similar as well (defining the current capability of the board).
One important difference is, that the uFX's have 5 LED segments, while the FX have 6, probably the Makoto also has 6 (I've never seen/had one myself, so I'm guessing here).
Out of my gut feeling I would say the board can handle the current. But I cannot proove it...
Thanks so much for this response Obi1 The 5 vs 6 segments thing helped me out HUGE! I was just about to buy an ultimate FX saber. I will get a used MR force FX instead.

Obi1
01-31-2015, 12:55 PM
One more thing to consider: though I do not know how the Makoto V3 is build up, usually LED strings have either a common anode OR a common cathode setup, i.e. either the positives of all segments are connected together and the negatives are connected to the segments drivers or vice versa.

Now the plecter lab CF-LS 6.50 (and I assume such an illustrous saber builder as Makoto would not be ssatisfied with anything less than the best) uses a common anode setup, while all Hasbro (incl. MR and uFX) I've seen so far use a common cathode setup...

Jay-gon Jinn
01-31-2015, 03:15 PM
The newer Hasbro removable blade version sound boards are reversed from the original Master Replicas and first Hasbro Signature Series FX's, so they will have the common anode, rather than cathode. It's certainly possible to find a board that will work with a makoto string blade.

imagehunter
02-01-2015, 11:28 AM
So it sounds like I need a new Hasbro with a removable blade. In the years that I have been planning this whole thing out I've created a backstory for my lightsaber, is that maximum geekdom? Or does everyone think of that kind of thing?

P.s. I'm so glad I chose this site. You guys have been so helpful, not only answering these direct questions but also with research for the past few years. I can't thank you enough.