PDA

View Full Version : foam diffusor for LED-string blade - hard to find?

kerezst
01-18-2015, 05:52 AM
Hello,
I'm planning to build up a LED-string blade. At the moment I'm most concerned about how to acquire the materials for blade diffusion.

The Blade will be 1" OD thin walled -> that makes it 7/8" ID.
As a 1st diffusion I will use the "LED blade diffuser for 1" thin walled blades" from TheCustomSaberShop.
As a 2nd diffusor I want to use a polyethylen (PE) foam tubing, similar to those used in Master Replica or Hasbro saber blades.

Therefor I'm not planning to buy some random hasbro sabers to get hands on their diffusor tubings. I'm searching for a manufacturer of vendor of PE foam tubing who also sells off to privat customers.

After some extensive online research the main problems are:

-most suppliers only sell vast amounts of their tubings at once (like 30 x 160m of tubing)
-tubings never come in white (most are grey or blue)
-it's hard to find the fitting diameters OD/ ID
(OD should be something below 7/8" - I don't know how the wall thickness of the 1st diffuser tube from TCSS;
IO should be large enough to having the LED-strip installed inside)

Can someone here help me out with his/her expertise? Or has maybe acquired a 'non-butcherd-hasbro'-diffusor before?

I'll be thankful for any hints concerning foam tubing diffusors for 1" thin walled saber blades - and where to find them!

Regards, Valentin

kerezst
01-18-2015, 08:14 AM
Hello,
for my own scratch build LED-string blades I'm searching for the PE FOAM TUBE which are used as diffusors in Hasbro or MR sabers.

Lots of people are converting these sabers to single high power LED-illumination.
Is somebody out there who is willing to help me out and sell some of those leftover foam tubes from converted saber blades to me?

Here in Germany it's difficult to find defect Hasbro FX Replica sabers via ebay at a reasonable price. Moreover I have no interest in the whole thing - just need the PE foam insert of the polycarbonate blade for LED-string diffusion.

Would be great if someone could help!

Regards, Valentin

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-18-2015, 10:29 AM
Threads merged. Please only post one thread per topic. - FJK

Silver Serpent
01-18-2015, 11:50 AM
I would head over to FX-Sabers and make a post in the wanted section. There are usually a number of members over there doing conversions on the MR/Hasbro sabers, and they accumulate a number of those diffusers.

Sadly, the only cost-effective source for the foam diffuser is scavenged from those sabers. No manufacturer currently makes what we need (and is willing to do small runs for a sabersmith.)