PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Simple Saber Advice

Wordsquirrel
11-29-2006, 11:12 PM
I want to make a simple one for my little brother for christmas. I need a consise list of items to order from this site to make the cheapest possible one, keeping in mind that much of the supplies can be bought at a hardware store or improvised. I've read the tutorial, I want it to be cheaper. Also how can I get a sound board (this site is out of stock).
Thank you.
-Kris

Ryma Mara
11-29-2006, 11:20 PM
You can get EL hilt and blade kits here that got a good price.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/sabers/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=17

As far as led, it will be some $$$ more

Just look in the shop and open the calculator on your pc and add it up, or use the add to cart button and it will add it up in there.

as far as sound goes you can pull one out of a hasbro toy that you can get at walmart.

Theres 3 topics that I know off the top of my head that talk about the hasbro sound boards in this forum currently.

You could prolly have it done for under 80$ and thats about as basic as one can get, then theres other things you got to factor in.

Just go thru the store and look and add it up. theres tutorials here about how to wire things up and such.

Got to pay to play.

james3
11-30-2006, 05:59 AM
The only way you are going to be able to do a hilt and a blade cheap with sound is to either jump on ebay and get one of the FX sabers that are damaged in the blade but otherwise ok and convert it or to build a sink tube LED saber with a Hasbro sound board. I am unsure of what kind of prices you have locally but the pieces in the store are cheaper then what I can buy at hardware stores and they are not all dinged up. You can use emitter #1 or #2 since they are both the least expensive and use a sink tube adapter. Unless Tim is sold out you can get an old FX blade pretty cheap but I think that getting the parts and making one of the TCSS blades is worth the few bucks more.

By the time you add up EL and LED it really is even it is just a matter of where your spending the money.

Wordsquirrel
11-30-2006, 09:09 AM
That's very helpful - I found a broken ebay saber actually, now I have to figure out how to fix it, but I'm guessing there's a tutorial on that. So I have the hilt now, what do I need specifically to turn it into an LED saber? Thanks guys you are most helpful.

jjshumpert
11-30-2006, 09:17 AM
well what hilt did you buy and what is listed in the auction as being defective? if you have a mr force fx than you could convert it to a 3w for as little as 32 dollars parts right here in the store, provided you have the basic tools needed for the conversion and a little mechanical know how so you can take apart and reassemble your hilt

Wordsquirrel
11-30-2006, 09:27 AM
The blade is "a little banged up". I haven't bought it yet, I'm only bidding so far, but the used ones are way cheaper than the new ones...I'd like to upgrade to an LED, yes.

james3
11-30-2006, 11:49 AM
There are several ways to convert the saber to a 3w Luxeon LED. The recommended way is to use the TCSS Vader conversion kit. This kit includes all that you need for the hilt to make it just like the ones in the gallery. The only other thing you would want to get would be the blade which 30 bucks complete is a good deal but you can save a few by getting the parts and building it yourself.

There are other kits and options out there and you can feel free to email myself or one of the other folks on here as I think most of us have done conversions with Tim's parts as well as "homestyle" jobs.

jjshumpert
11-30-2006, 01:03 PM
i would be a little worried though, the saber your bidding on says the sound isnt working... we buy them on ebay strickly for working sound... i hope that there is simply a fault somewhere in the switch on that windu and will be an easy fix to get the sound working again

elrond.406
11-30-2006, 07:22 PM
If yuo don't mind buying a saber, get an ultrakid one from Ultraswg(who else?). They run for just about 30-50 dollars and tho made of pvc, are of good quality.

james3
11-30-2006, 07:26 PM
I am thinkin that defeats the purpose of he "wants to build one" :wink:

And I believe there is no sound in those puppies.

elrond.406
11-30-2006, 08:04 PM
It is correct that there is no sound in those sabs, but you can't beat the price!