PDA

View Full Version : The 2015 TCSS Saber building contest.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-07-2015, 06:18 PM
At long last, and after a couple of years off, we are having yet another saber building contest here on the forums. There are two categories: MHS and Custom

MHS Saber - This saber has to be MHS based. Shrouds and custom PC are allowed, but the basic hilt has to be made from MHS. No complete custom parts like Acerocket's Obi TPM pommels are allowed. Modifying store parts (or having them modded for you by Tim) is allowed though.

Custom Saber - Anything goes here. No MHS parts are necessary, but they do make life easier when making a saber.

No previously made sabers are allowed in the contest. You have to build it specifically for it. For example, I couldn't submit Apex, as it has been done for a few months now.

Only ONE SABER per person is allowed! Build the best saber you can and submit it. All members are allowed to enter, including Council members and professional sabersmiths.

Your saber must be functioning for this contest. No renders are allowed, and no empty hilts that have no electronics are acceptable either.

When you have your saber done, send a maximum of FIVE 'finished' shots and a wiring shot or two (optional, but recommended) to ME. No videos for the contest, to keep members anonymous.
Send your entry to this email address: fjk_tcss@yahoo.com

Title your emails in this format:
TCSS MHS/CUSTOM BUILD CONTEST - YOUR USERNAME

Example:
Superawesomejedi built a saber for the MHS part of the contest. The email title would look like this: TCSS MHS BUILD CONTEST - SUPERAWESOMEJEDI

Inside the email, please put your username, real name, saber name, saber specs, and the pictures you want posted.

Example:
Username: Superawesomejedi
Saber name: Spectra
Specs:
CFV4.1
LED Engin RGGB
Premium speaker
Momentary switch

<picture1>
<picture2>
<picture3>
<picture4>
<picture5>
<Wiring picture1>
<Wiring picture2 >

I will save and re-host all the pictures myself so that your name stays confidential. The polls will be anonymous, so that people don't vote for their favorite member. Please keep your sabers to yourselves as well, don't show them off until the contest is over.

You have until September 6th, 2015 Sunday October 4th, 2015 to build a saber for the contest. Voting will be held shortly after. In case of a tie (which has happened - The Council will decide) ;)

Prizes - First Prize in each category: A $200 Gift Certificate. Second Prize in each category: A $50. Gift Certificate.

That's about it. Have fun with the contest! I look forward to seeing what you all come up with. And remember, send your saber pics to me, do not post them.

I'll be answering questions here, but keep it on topic.

Daisan
01-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Ooooo, exciting times! More designs to plagiarise steal be inspired with. :p

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Ooooo, exciting times! More designs to plagiarise steal be inspired with. :p

Yeah, plagiarizng and stealing are things we frown upon around here.

Daisan
01-07-2015, 06:40 PM
D'oh! :o

Just in case my post was taken seriously, it was tongue-in-cheek. I was going for the strike-through font effect from MS-Word on the words "plagiarise steal" text. Evidently, word processor stuff does not translate well to forum boards.

Good luck to all participants! :D

cannibal869
01-07-2015, 06:43 PM
Probably won't be able to participate this year due to padawan / youngling raising responsibilities.... but you never know ;)
Hmm... 9 months?

Ty_Bomber
01-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Could it be? Will I finally be able to enter? Here's to hope!

bigkevin61
01-07-2015, 07:34 PM
Thanks for giving me a reason to finish my own saber....

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Could it be? Will I finally be able to enter? Here's to hope!

That depends on you, but the competition could be stiff. Especially if I (or some others) get involved. ;)

snilam
01-07-2015, 08:41 PM
O I'm so in! Totally not expecting to get noticed especially if the pro's get involved but should be so fun. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. Have an excuse to tell the wife why I need another saber now (Thank you!)

Lord Maul
01-08-2015, 04:03 AM
First post in a while... To all who think they aren't good enough to enter, ENTER. Every year I ran this show my favorite sabers were from people I had never seen build a saber before. You've got 9 months to push your skills to the limits and I am sure that if you are committed you'll all come up with seriously cool designs.

Go get em!

Silver Serpent
01-08-2015, 06:01 AM
I have until September? I might be able to find the time to build something awesome by then. And if not, then at least I'll get to see a whole slew of amazing new sabers! It's win-win all around!

Starwinder
01-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Oh man. I wish I had the time (and skills) to enter this year, but it will still be fun to see what awesome sabers others put out there!

Bark
01-08-2015, 08:09 AM
There should be a newbie award for first-time builds. I'm piecing a modest one together now, but I know most of you will blow mine out of the water. LOL.

AckAck
01-08-2015, 10:01 AM
I think I may be able to play this time too. So many ideas, so few dollars and so little time. :D

goldsaberwarrior
01-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Quick question, are double bladed sabers considered a valid entry? Just curious incase I decide to throw my work into the pot.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Quick question, are double bladed sabers considered a valid entry? Just curious incase I decide to throw my work into the pot.

*Does Mills Lane impression* I'll allow it!

unclescary
01-08-2015, 02:50 PM
I do have a question. Can it be something I kinda started as in have the parts all wrapped up in a box with good intentions but this would be the incentive to get off my lazy Bum?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-08-2015, 03:03 PM
I do have a question. Can it be something I kinda started as in have the parts all wrapped up in a box with good intentions but this would be the incentive to get off my lazy Bum?

It can, as long as no one sees it before the contest. ;)

DarthHideous
01-08-2015, 11:02 PM
I'm in on this one. I just got notice of the NB v2 back in stock and ordered one.

Batosai
01-09-2015, 03:27 AM
really nice, good thing I am working on a saber, hopefully I can finish it (I'm already working 1 year at this saber, so 9months could get tight^^).
@forgetful jedi knight: I am not really sure if my saber would be a mhs or custom, can I ask your opinion as soon as you get the pictures?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-09-2015, 08:53 AM
@forgetful jedi knight: I am not really sure if my saber would be a mhs or custom, can I ask your opinion as soon as you get the pictures?

That's fine, I'll look at it when the time comes.

The Yin
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
Cool, I just ordered the last parts I'll need for a pair of sabers I've been planning/designing. Maybe I'll enter it (them?)
If I make twin sabers, both being exactly the same, could I enter them as a set, or would I have to enter just the one?
The reason it's a set is because they are based on a character the dual wields.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Cool, I just ordered the last parts I'll need for a pair of sabers I've been planning/designing. Maybe I'll enter it (them?)
If I make twin sabers, both being exactly the same, could I enter them as a set, or would I have to enter just the one?
The reason it's a set is because they are based on a character the dual wields.

It's one per person. If they are the same exact saber, only one would be necessary. Quality not quantity. ;)

Crystal Chambers
01-10-2015, 08:12 AM
I got some new tricks up my sleeve this year.;)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-10-2015, 08:26 AM
I got some new tricks up my sleeve this year.;)

So do I. The question is whether I use them on these guys or not. Besides, new tricks or not, I basically know what your work is like ;)

snilam
01-10-2015, 09:03 AM
New tricks from veteran builders not allowed sorry.

Silver Serpent
01-10-2015, 09:07 AM
Pssh, new tricks from vets are always welcome. Then we get to see new things (and possibly use them in our own sabers!)

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-10-2015, 09:32 AM
New tricks from veteran builders not allowed sorry.

So sorry, it doesn't work that way. :D

snilam
01-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Pssh, new tricks from vets are always welcome. Then we get to see new things (and possibly use them in our own sabers!)

Very true;)

snilam
01-10-2015, 12:13 PM
All joking aside i am excited to see what everyone submits, should be awesome! Even though we are months away.

Batosai
01-11-2015, 05:00 AM
the harder the competition, the more fun it gets.
can't wait to see all your sabers

987654321a
01-24-2015, 12:11 PM
WOW. I haven't been here in forever, good to see you're still here Lord Maul. My inner nerd kind of went away for a while hahah. Anyways I'm back and oh man I'm gonna rock this contest. I will literally build the best lightsaber I have built in years. I have so much more experience now and Wow I'm excited ;)

jordanbeck724
01-29-2015, 10:41 PM
Should have my first saber done in time, guess ill give it a shot

Treadingwolf
01-31-2015, 01:47 PM
I'm excited for this also, Have not posted anything in a while. This is going to be fun!

ldogg1579
02-18-2015, 03:59 PM
/subbed

And question. I know you said one saber, but can one saber be entered in both catergories if they meet the criteria? Guessing we have to choose one, but I just wanted to make sure...

Forgetful Jedi Knight
02-18-2015, 04:02 PM
/subbed

And question. I know you said one saber, but can one saber be entered in both catergories if they meet the criteria? Guessing we have to choose one, but I just wanted to make sure...

No, it's either one or the other.

MedicineMan
02-19-2015, 08:06 AM
i got some new tricks up my sleeve this year.;)

cannot wait to see this one!!!

Latteace Wan
03-04-2015, 04:26 PM
I just cant find youre e-mail, for the building contest. Help...Please. :/

Forgetful Jedi Knight
03-04-2015, 04:45 PM
I just cant find youre e-mail, for the building contest. Help...Please. :/

You would need to go to my profile, and click send email. ;)

Latteace Wan
03-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Thanks... :/

Twigz
04-30-2015, 03:45 PM
In order to send you the pictures we need to, should we host them on an account and then link them to you or is there supposed to be a way to attach it to the 'Send Email' interface?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
04-30-2015, 04:26 PM
You will need to send me the actual pictures, and I will host them in my account. As of this moment, I am not ready to start receiving entries, as the contest is still months away. When I am ready, I will post an email address where people can send their entries to.

Twigz
04-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Sounds good!

Flying Fox
05-01-2015, 05:13 AM
Well this should light the proverbial fire under my butt. Can't wait to see what everyone brings to the judging table.

ldogg1579
06-26-2015, 07:03 AM
Has there been any discussion about extending the deadline? Its hard to build within certain time frames when parts availability has been low over the last 90 days, especially the MHS specific stuff.
Maybe I'm being selfish, but I'm just stuck until the parts I want to use come back in stock.... it's been about 3 months and counting ..

Silver Serpent
06-26-2015, 07:50 AM
No discussion that I've heard. We were all given 8 months to build our best saber. While it's true that you may not be able to order all your parts at the same time, I don't think any one part has been out of stock since January. You may need to make multiple orders.

ldogg1579
06-26-2015, 09:43 AM
No discussion that I've heard. We were all given 8 months to build our best saber. While it's true that you may not be able to order all your parts at the same time, I don't think any one part has been out of stock since January. You may need to make multiple orders.

I have been, but it's seriously going on three months for one. And some extensions have been out even longer. Celebration put stock levels very low.

TheSilverDark
06-26-2015, 08:01 PM
Well this just popped up and now I'm even more anxious to start my next build. Just gotta get some more money and hopefully I'll have the build done in time *crossing fingers*

Miraluka
06-26-2015, 11:37 PM
Yeah I had to make several orders to get the parts for my current build... may end up ordering a V4 heat sink now that they're finally back... Although I'm not concerned about it. I'm probably not entering the contest. I wouldn't expect to win with a stunt anywho. I have an extra NB I could use but meh. I like my silent sabers. I'll probably just throw it in the gallery page whenever I decide it's done.

Jordandau
06-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Just curious, because I just might have my saber I'm building, just to build it finished for the deadline... If it's one I've been slowly working on for a few years is it eligible? I really didn't kick into gear with it until this year, but I've done a little work on it last year. Stuff like shroud design and basic outlining of cuts, no real work til this year.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-27-2015, 07:20 AM
Just curious, because I just might have my saber I'm building, just to build it finished for the deadline... If it's one I've been slowly working on for a few years is it eligible? I really didn't kick into gear with it until this year, but I've done a little work on it last year. Stuff like shroud design and basic outlining of cuts, no real work til this year.

As long as no one has previously seen it, I'll allow it.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
06-27-2015, 07:21 AM
Has there been any discussion about extending the deadline? Its hard to build within certain time frames when parts availability has been low over the last 90 days, especially the MHS specific stuff.
Maybe I'm being selfish, but I'm just stuck until the parts I want to use come back in stock.... it's been about 3 months and counting ..

I'll take it under advisement.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-29-2015, 02:06 PM
OK, After thinking it over, and given the shop's move and issues with out of stock parts, I am extending the deadline for the contest a few weeks until Sunday October 4th, 2015. I will then start posting everything for voting a few days afterwards, depending on how many entries I get.

MontyBMan
07-30-2015, 08:52 AM
OK, After thinking it over, and given the shop's move and issues with out of stock parts, I am extending the deadline for the contest a few weeks until Sunday October 4th, 2015. I will then start posting everything for voting a few days afterwards, depending on how many entries I get.

This is good news... I'm going to try and get something ready for this contest just to get my juices flowing.
also, first post in the forums, hi everybody.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
07-30-2015, 09:17 AM
First post updated with email address and new cutoff date.

A couple of people have asked me if they can send their entry in. You can send in your entry now, just please send me a PM to let me know so I can look out for it.

AckAck
07-30-2015, 09:22 PM
Thanks! This gives my son a chance to build one too. :)

Matatabi
09-12-2015, 02:05 PM
So quick question. I just finished my MHS saber that I've been working on for a year and a half now. I came across the contest about 6 months ago and was hoping after I was finished I could enter it. However I only read the first post and not any of the following comments and didn't realize that you're not allowed to show anyone the saber before the contest. Because of this, I already plastered it all over a lightsaber group on facebook showing everyone my finished saber. Does that mean I just ruined my chance of entering the contest?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
09-12-2015, 04:07 PM
So quick question. I just finished my MHS saber that I've been working on for a year and a half now. I came across the contest about 6 months ago and was hoping after I was finished I could enter it. However I only read the first post and not any of the following comments and didn't realize that you're not allowed to show anyone the saber before the contest. Because of this, I already plastered it all over a lightsaber group on facebook showing everyone my finished saber. Does that mean I just ruined my chance of entering the contest?

It was also in my initial post.

"I will save and re-host all the pictures myself so that your name stays confidential. The polls will be anonymous, so that people don't vote for their favorite member. Please keep your sabers to yourselves as well, don't show them off until the contest is over."

You can still email it to me, and I'll decide.

Matatabi
09-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Alright. I guess I just missed that part. If you don't accept it its my own fault.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-04-2015, 07:01 PM
Only a few hours left, people!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-05-2015, 05:37 PM
OK. Time is officially up. I have some good news and a little bad news:

There will only be a MHS category this year, as all the entries are MHS based. Since there were a number of entries, and I have suddenly become very busy this week with my day job, the entrants might not make it up until this coming weekend, along with the rules on how this is going to work. I just need to mull a couple of things over.

So, that's the news, and good luck to all who entered!!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-09-2015, 09:17 PM
So, now that I have had time to go through everything, and more importantly download everything, due to the entries I got, there will be some small modifications to how this will work. Since there was not enough participation in a certain category, the categories have been "merged". The prize structure was also "modified". Instead of just First and Second place, there will now be a First Place Prize (still $200 gift certificate), a Second Place Prize ($100 gift certificate), and a Third Place Prize ($50. gift certificate). Given the situation, Tim and I think that this is "fair".

Due to the fact that there were more than 10 entrants this time around, this contest will be held according to "Kegger Rules". It works like this:

Round 1 - Polls (there will be two of them) are open for one week, and the top 4 vote getters
from each poll move on to the "Final Round". You are allowed one vote in EACH GROUP.

Round 2 - The "Elite Eight" battle it out and the prizes will be given out based on those results.

The competition is kinda stiff... I should have both polls up by tomorrow.

Good Luck to all those who entered.

snilam
10-10-2015, 10:39 AM
How long is voting period?

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-10-2015, 10:43 AM
How long is voting period?

See below:

...this contest will be held according to "Kegger Rules". It works like this:

Round 1 - Polls (there will be two of them) are open for one week, and the top 4 vote getters
from each poll move on to the "Final Round". You are allowed one vote in EACH GROUP.

Round 2 - The "Elite Eight" battle it out and the prizes will be given out based on those results.

snilam
10-10-2015, 11:05 AM
Sorry i`m obviously blind and or illiterate. Right in front of my face.:rolleyes:. Thanks

Darth Whipple
10-12-2015, 12:48 PM
Will the photos be posted to this thread? Also, will the voting take place here as well?

Greenie
10-12-2015, 01:03 PM
The photos are up already. Go to miscellaneous, they're stickied below this thread :)

Darth Whipple
10-12-2015, 10:52 PM
Awesome! Thank you! I've been checking this thread for the last week waiting for the pics to go up!

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-26-2015, 04:13 PM
OK, The fun is now OVER!

The winners in the 2015 Saber Building Contest are...

FIRST PLACE: Gieheizan - Batosai
SECOND PLACE: Masmani Flor - sks1138
THIRD PLACE: Ember - ColdVizJerel

Congratulations to those who won, and great job to all who entered!

You can all now post your entires in the Gallery.

ARKM
10-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Lots of awesome sabers in this year's contest. Congrats to the winners!

Askew Wai
10-27-2015, 08:46 PM
And nicely run, FJK! The adaptive process was very fair and smooth.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
10-28-2015, 08:14 AM
And nicely run, FJK! The adaptive process was very fair and smooth.

Thanks. I've had practice from other contests, some of which I have been involved in.

Corbin_Das
02-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Too bad I don't have the new version of the Killer Penny wired up yet.

ARKM
02-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Too bad I don't have the new version of the Killer Penny wired up yet.

It wouldn't qualify. Here's why (copied from the rules in the first post)...

"No previously made sabers are allowed in the contest. You have to build it specifically for it. For example, I couldn't submit Apex, as it has been done for a few months now."