PDA

View Full Version : PC3.5 Problem with main LEDs

runkrod
01-02-2015, 09:38 AM
Hi all, happy new year. (sorry for double post)
Have built my first LED saber as a (late) xmas gift for my son. (did EL a number of years ago), and have encountered a problem I can't solve via forum searching. I have my new PC3.5 wired as seen in the pic. I do not have an aux switch (really didn't plan for it nor want but NB was sold out). I have a tri-rebel RB-RB-W wired up, but I don't have the W hooked to FoC yet, as I'm waiting for the big 4.7ohm resistor in the mail. That being said, I have connected everything for a test. The board powers up, turns on but does not illuminate the RB-RB (series) EXCEPT when I activate FoC, then the blue LEDS do flash momentarily. This one baffles me. I'm thinking it is something in the config files that I don't get (frankly much of that manual is losing me) or perhaps a function of the White LED not being hooked up yet? But don't know why the blue is flashing on FoC. I have not adjusted any settings on the files yet (as I dont' completely understand them all). Could use a little insight.

goldsaberwarrior
01-02-2015, 10:04 AM
Welcome to the forums. Double posts are typically frowned upon so do try to avoid them in the future. since you're new I don't think the mods will come after you with their Star Destroyers =p. Anyways, down to business.

I can't see anything off the top of my head going off just that picture. Correct me if I'm wrong but from one of your connections I'm assuming you're running a power indicator as well. Can you give us some more info on your build with the exact parts you're using. The more you can give us the better. Also can you post a couple pics so we can see everything that you've wired and not just the board? This is so we can eliminate possible wiring issues. This may sound like a dumb question, but are you running JST connectors or no? I ask because I've had one go bad on me. I don't know how it did, only that it went bad. electronics are funny things. When you power up the board, do you hear sound coming from the speaker and all? Pretty much, what exactly happens when you power up in detail.

From what you're saying so far it sounds to me like there could possibly be something to do with the wiring to the LED itself, or possibly that there isn't enough power going to the board to run everything, or worse, possibly a short of some type if the LED isn't coming on. just to be safe, go back over your wiring and make sure that there isn't any loose pieces of wire sticking out that could possibly be creating a bridge to cause a short. If you have a magnifying glass then I recommend using that as well to see if you can spot stray pieces of wire or a piece of solder. Hopefully we'll be able to help.

Ty_Bomber
01-02-2015, 10:09 AM
The foc pads are on the underside of the board, do you have a pic of your wiring from that side as well?

runkrod
01-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Thanks for quick replies. Will get a pic of bottom in a few minutes. Although as I type, I realize I neglected to mention I have already bridged the FoC pads in anticipation of wiring the resistor (when it comes tomorrow). Could that be making thing go wonky?
As for all parts: Have AV blue ring momentary switch with LED connected to power indicator spot on PC. And standard issue recharge port. Hard to get good pics of those, as I've already assembled the switches and frankly the recharge port is a PITA to get in/out.

goldsaberwarrior
01-02-2015, 10:24 AM
if you have loose wires in there without something over them then it's possible you could be grounding something out against the hilt or it's causing a short. Please correct me if I'm wrong in understanding but, you're running an accent LED, but you have the LED part wired to the power indicator thing? If so then I could for sure see that causing an issue as there are pads specifically for that on the board already. Also we need to know what battery pack you're using specifically to eliminate too much/not enough power being an issue. The better pics you can get the better.

Ty_Bomber
01-02-2015, 10:36 AM
What are your led parameters set at? There are three fields as the saber board is designed for color mixing.

runkrod
01-02-2015, 11:13 AM
Battery pack is: 7.4v Li-ion 1050mAh 14650 Battery Pack.
Not a grounding issue with exposed wire. All connections are properly covered with heat shrink.
The accent LED (ring on AV switch) is wired to the power on indicator as per the manual on page 27.
Config settings: This is were confusion sets in. What I see in the files on my SD card don't entirely match what the manual says should be there. For example, the manual says there is a root config file, but I only have 3 sound bank folders, override, prefs and revision. The only config files are in each bank folder. Assuming that sound bank 1 is the one being run (since I dont have aux switch to change it), I have the following set in the bank1 config file:
led=1000,1000,0
fled=1000,0,0
focmix=001
resume=0
shmrd=72
shmrp=6
shmrr=12
shmr%=0,50
focd=200
focp=10
focr=10
foc%=0,50
qon=0
qoff=0
fade=0
flks=2
flkd=12
idlepulsing=1
idleled=0

My override file looks like this:
vol=4
beep=40
valsnd=1
switch=2
offp=0
offd=200
lc=400
hs=200
ls=70
i=55
swing=200
clash=150
lockup=150
## Color profiles

color0=0,740,0

fcolor0=740,230,0
color1=0,0,740

fcolor1=700,0,740

color2=740,0,0

fcolor2=0,430,200
color3=0,630,200

fcolor3=500,740,0

color4=640,0,430

fcolor4=0,0,740

color5=740,230,0

fcolor5=0,740,0

color6=540,730,0

fcolor6=0,740,400

I will admit now that I don't understand half of what this is (ok, more like 80%). I don't want anything "fancy", just the two blue dominate blade LEDs, with white FoC. No crazy mixing. So am not sure of what settings I need to mess with or how to (copied page 31 as that sounded like what I was trying to do). And I don't entirely understand the guidance on page 22 about color profiles. Do I need to delete all but two lines in the overright file? (and for RB-RB-W what would I keep?)10730

Bark
01-02-2015, 11:23 AM
I highly recommend that with your level of familiarity that you do not delete lines out of any file. I also think you'll need to install that AUX switch at some point too.

runkrod
01-02-2015, 11:26 AM
I highly recommend that with your level of familiarity that you do not delete lines out of any file.

:p
Concur. Just confused what the manual is telling me.

Bark
01-02-2015, 11:35 AM
I'm fairly new myself and have yet to construct mine, but were those your default parameters? Mine came with different settings.

For your setup, I would think all three banks would need to be:

led=1000,0,0
fled=1000,1000,0

However, I don't know if that's the fix. You may want an experienced person to reply. My thinking is the second number references the second LED bank (FoC). You currently are pumping current there when FoC is NOT activated (that's the "led" line's settings) and then not pumping current there when it is (that's the "fled" line settings). So, I'm wondering if your FoC wiring is short circuiting, and when it's turned off, the normal LEDs can then light up.

runkrod
01-02-2015, 12:12 PM
I'm fairly new myself and have yet to construct mine, but were those your default parameters? Mine came with different settings.

For your setup, I would think all three banks would need to be:

led=1000,0,0
fled=1000,1000,0

However, I don't know if that's the fix. You may want an experienced person to reply. My thinking is the second number references the second LED bank (FoC). You currently are pumping current there when FoC is NOT activated (that's the "led" line's settings) and then not pumping current there when it is (that's the "fled" line settings). So, I'm wondering if your FoC wiring is short circuiting, and when it's turned off, the normal LEDs can then light up.

Tried that setting change. No effect. Will upload a short video to aid in depicting issue soon.

runkrod
01-02-2015, 12:14 PM
Here's a short video that may aid in troubleshooting, or at least better depict the issue.

http://youtu.be/Orl8gFSu4O4

Madcow
01-02-2015, 02:07 PM
Try deleting all colour profiles from the override file.

I suspect the colour profiles are overriding your settings (as designed) but without an aux button, you can not switch profiles. You could also just wire up an aux button to test.

runkrod
01-02-2015, 02:21 PM
Try deleting all colour profiles from the override file.

I suspect the colour profiles are overriding your settings (as designed) but without an aux button, you can not switch profiles. You could also just wire up an aux button to test.

And we have a winner!! Remarked out (##) all color profiles and LEDs now function as designed. Much appreciated! Now just to be clear, my config file should look like: Led=1000,0,0 fled=1000,1000,0 focmix=001 for a simple RB-RB with W FoC?
Thanks!

Madcow
01-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Excellent!

If you are using channel 1 for main, and channel 2 for FoC... and If you have put your main LEDs in series...

This is what I would do;

Led=1000,0,0 fled=1000,1000,0 focmix111

In all sound bank config files.

Always delete the colour profiles from the override file when implementing a single colour setup like this.

runkrod
01-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Brilliant! Thanks!