PDA

View Full Version : Video: How to do a basic crystal chamber

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-29-2014, 10:35 AM
This video covers the basic ideas behind doing a simple crystal chamber. It gives you some of the basics, using parts from the store and simple bits and pieces you can find (or scavenge) for nearly anywhere. Like everything else, there are many different and various ways to do them.

http://youtu.be/ORH7FRFVBLg

Yorginsnarff
12-29-2014, 10:55 AM
thank you very much!!

setelf3of5
12-29-2014, 02:43 PM
FJK this is very helpful, and well done. Thanks!

bigkevin61
12-29-2014, 02:55 PM
Thanks!
I have those coaxial connectors lying around the house, and I never saw them as chamber accessories!
I do have a question though, where would you suggest aquiring the crystals for a chamber? The ziplock bag of clear crystals you had would be awesome to have if trying to make a chamber (and getting a crystal that would work with the design).

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-29-2014, 03:10 PM
Simply search for quartz crystals, they're "easy enough" to find. ;)

bigkevin61
12-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Simply search for quartz crystals, they're "easy enough" to find. ;)

Ok, I wasn't sure if you had a preferred Amazon/E-Bay or other seller you use (and since TCSS doesn't sell Quartz crystals, I'd though you could share).

I asked because while reading through the forum posts (in general) regards to other saber parts/builder/sellers, I've read there are some people/businesses that aren't "trustworthy" to do business with (and they are not spoken of here anymore).

Just trying to go with "good" people like Tim

Forgetful Jedi Knight
12-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Granted, but there are several decent vendors on eBay. It all depends on who has what you're looking for, and when. I bought those quite a while back, and I'll never likely use all of them.

Most of the businesses on the "not to be discussed list" are certain saber builders and such. ;)

snilam
12-29-2014, 08:47 PM
as far as crystals go if you don't want to mess with online, try like little mom pop "hippie" stores that have like incense, tarot cards, etc and stuff. They usually have crystals of different types, shapes, sizes and colors. I have a couple around me and usually cheap like maybe a buck for one or less for a bunch. Bring your lightsaber/chamber and try to size it up and all of a sudden you'll be mr. popular, its kinda funny.

Yorginsnarff
01-02-2015, 03:51 PM
can you send a link to the "crystal holders" or coaxial connecters/end pieces you used? I'm on the radio shack website yet can't seem to find them.

Forgetful Jedi Knight
01-02-2015, 04:37 PM
can you send a link to the "crystal holders" or coaxial connecters/end pieces you used? I'm on the radio shack website yet can't seem to find them.

I walked into the store and looked around at things they had.

Sevinzol
01-02-2015, 10:30 PM
I think what FJK is showing in his video are called BNC (British Naval Connections). They are used with Coaxial cable. When I typed that in on the shack sight I got 52 items. I have also seen these at home depot in the electrical isle with the switches and home entertainment wiring. You could also check out the brass air compressor connections

Part of why a crystal chamber is considered a right of passage is because its very much "free form", you have to exercise your creativity, you won't be buying 'chamber' parts and slapping them together. The other aspect is that it will take up space in the hilt this forces you to practice your cram-fu skill. Don't get fixated on "getting the right part", some of it will need to be hand made.

Yorginsnarff
01-02-2015, 10:58 PM
thanks so much!!!

Thanantos
02-25-2015, 03:03 PM
Thank you for this post/thread, I found it very helpful. I had been looking around online for quite a while without much success to figure out how to make a crystal chamber...let alone where to purchase crystals.

unclescary
02-26-2015, 02:10 PM
Very Cool! Thank you Sir!

craig139
02-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Thank you FJK for the informative video. Just so you know, Radio Shack will soon be having LARGE clearance sales as they are closing many of their stores.

Thanantos
02-27-2015, 08:57 PM
I usually avoid Radio Shack but good idea re the closing/going out of business sale.